Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Dboi654 View Post
    I'm happy for the fact that that spidey is back at marvel studios but the possibility that they are replacing a hero whom we have never seen on live action before with a hero who has had 5 movies within the last 13 years. seems like the deconstruction of bp in the comics is transfering to the movies. Black character get bummed out

Still glad to see Spiderman though
    I'm not sure it's fair to necessarily assume Spider-Man will be replacing T'Challa. It's not like they had particularly interchangable roles in Civil War.

I think odds are Spidey will have his role, and T'Challa will have his.

Quote Originally Posted by VJ. View Post
    Given that the Spiderman movie is supposed to be "a new version of the character"*, I'm hoping they'll put Miles in the MCU instead of Peter Parker. That would be far less bothersome than getting BP & CM pushed back for a regular spidey movie.
    Think the initial press release was worded "the perfect way to take Peter Parker's story into the future." As got said in the TV/Film forum thread, they're not going to spend all this time hashing out a deal and then not use the most famous name as Spidey - so it will be Peter Parker, not the audience unknowns like Miles, Hobie Brown, Porker, or even Pavitr Prabahkar to score that Indian audience. It wouldn't matter who they cast as the MCU films got bumped back to avoid competing with Sony's solo Spidey releases - that would have been part of the deal to avoid them cutting into each others' box office takes.

It'll be a soft reboot of Spidey at least, because apparently Garfield is gone. Can't see them bothering with an origin story either given how many takes they've had on it in the last 20 years now, so Uncle Ben will be spared yet another death scene: we'll not have to see the kindly uncle raise his hand to prevent Peter charging in to help as a whirlwind of muggers overtakes him ("Don't save me superior nephew"); and that poor spider no longer has to do the hand biting scene over and over and over till the actor gets his reaction right.

Anyways, it all means we could yet see the semi-patented 'slingshot manoeuvre' in the MCU yet as Carol throws Spider-dude around in an effort to make him go splat.
    Last edited by snark^; 02-10-2015 at 06:45 AM.
    I've seen things you posters wouldn't believe. Ad-spammers aflame off the shoulder of
    rec.arts.sf.written. I watched cancel posts glitter in the ether near the usenet gateway.
    All those moments will be lost in time... like beer in the rain. Time to unsubscribe.

Eh, I personally think Panther will still be fine in the film. If anything, I think Spidey's role won't be as big as people expect it to be. Probably something like him watching the split from the sidelines and swinging away or something minimal just to set him up for future appearances/releases.

Quote Originally Posted by Psycwave View Post
    Eh, I personally think Panther will still be fine in the film. If anything, I think Spidey's role won't be as big as people expect it to be. Probably something like him watching the split from the sidelines and swinging away or something minimal just to set him up for future appearances/releases.
    I think Spidey will have somewhat of a substantial role, since at this point he's probably the only hero in the cinematic MU with an actual secret identity which needs registering.

None of which necessarily takes away from T'Challa role though.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    Except this delay isn't going to make any difference to the quality of the Captain Marvel movie. All it's going to do is make us wait even longer for no frigging reason other than to fit in that one last straight white guy before they finally get around to making any movies that don't have a straight white man as the protagonist. It's a frustrating delay, because of the reason for it. If they said, "We realized our timeframe didn't quite give us the time we needed, so we rearranged some movies so they would turn out better," then hey, fine. But this is them saying, "We realized we could get in another white dude, and they will always take precedence over women and people of colour, so we shoved some movies back to make more room." It's just bullshit.
    No it's to put out a Spider-Man movie. Spider-Man is about Spider-Man not Straight White Guy. Yeah it sucks that Captain Marvel is getting pushed back but at least it's getting made and adding the Spider-Man film should add a myriad of more possibilities.

Earth's Mightiest Hero RafDanvers's Avatar

DAMN SPIDER! haha glad hes back but im sad they've pushed Captain Marvel (and all the others) a little back. Well, cant complain. 4 months ONLY! The shooting, production wont be affected by it, since it will be wrapped by July anyway. Also , its still 2018 and still between Avengers 3 pt 1 and 2.

The only thing that worries me is: She would have her year, 2018. Black Panther would have his - 2017. Now, they will share the buzz with 4 months of distance. Marvel know things and is the best there is at promo and stuff. You better do it right Marvel,or the Carol Corps will be coming after you!
    My heroines: Captain Marvel Psylocke

my pull list: The Mighty Captain Marvel - Ultimates 2 - Uncanny X-Men *I run @captmarvelnews and @psylockenews on Twitter! Join us!

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I'm not sure it's fair to necessarily assume Spider-Man will be replacing T'Challa. It's not like they had particularly interchangable roles in Civil War.

I think odds are Spidey will have his role, and T'Challa will have his.
    I heard they have 2 scripts

one with spidey and one without him

Ultimate Member

I was always afraid that if Marvel ever got the rights to their other "big guns" like Spidey, X-Men, and FF, that it'd be too tempting for them to focus on said franchises. It'd be mostly Avengers, Spidey, X-Men, and FF a lot of the time, and the smaller franchises would get the shaft. And them pushing back all of their Phase Three movies except for Doctor Strange and IW just so that they can make a SIXTH Spidey movie isn't exactly doing anything to assuage those concerns. I can just picture it now:

-"Hey Chadwick, we know that you've already been cast and are REALLY looking forward to playing this iconic black hero. But we're going to have to remove you from the next Cap movie and put Spider-Man in there instead. Oh and while we're at it, we're going to also push your solo movie back so that we can make another Spidey film as well, sorry. But he's just more popular than Black Panther is."

-"Sorry Chadwick, but we just got the rights back to Wolverine, so we're pushing your movie back to 2020."

-"Chadwick, we're going have to push your movie back to 2021. We're doing Thor 5 and Feige finally approved that Hemsworth/Hiddleston sex scene that we've always wanted to do. We cannot afford to pass that up."

-"Chadwick, we're doing a Black Cat and we don't think that the audience will go for two CBM starring characters with the word Black in their name, so we've got to push your movie back agai.....wait where are you going?"

"Screw you guys, WB just called and offered me the Green Lantern job. I don't need this."

Ultimate Member

I was always afraid that if Marvel ever got the rights to their other "big guns" like Spidey, X-Men, and FF, that it'd be too tempting for them to focus on said franchises. It'd be mostly Avengers, Spidey, X-Men, and FF a lot of the time, and the smaller franchises would get the shaft. And them pushing back all of their Phase Three movies except for Doctor Strange and IW just so that they can make a SIXTH Spidey movie (he's taking Thor: Ragnarok's spot in 2017 apparently) isn't exactly doing anything to assuage those concerns.

BANNED

Did you guys vote who should Spider-man team up first? Cos I did. Black Panther should be your answers. Hehehe

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I think Spidey will have somewhat of a substantial role, since at this point he's probably the only hero in the cinematic MU with an actual secret identity which needs registering.

None of which necessarily takes away from T'Challa role though.
    You're making an assumption... that the MCU is using anything from the Civil War comic other than the title. I can see other reasons for the Stark/Rogers split, outside of the SHRA.

(My prediction? Freedom vs Security, although that's a bit too close to Winter Soldier. Tony's definitely the "I know better, so I should be in charge" type, tho)

Quote Originally Posted by Beware Of Geek View Post
    You're making an assumption... that the MCU is using anything from the Civil War comic other than the title. I can see other reasons for the Stark/Rogers split, outside of the SHRA.

(My prediction? Freedom vs Security, although that's a bit too close to Winter Soldier. Tony's definitely the "I know better, so I should be in charge" type, tho)
    My MAIN assumption is that if this is Spideys first showing in the marvel cinematic universe, it will be meaningful. Not necessarily HUGE, but it'll matter. And given the debut is in Civil War, I think they'll try to make some connections with how it worked in the movie. Though obviously it can't be a direct translation.

But yeah, I'm just guessing at this point... maybe all he does is swing by, snag a few photos of Steve and Tony duking it out for the daily bugle, then swing off. We'll see.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    I was always afraid that if Marvel ever got the rights to their other "big guns" like Spidey, X-Men, and FF, that it'd be too tempting for them to focus on said franchises. It'd be mostly Avengers, Spidey, X-Men, and FF a lot of the time, and the smaller franchises would get the shaft. And them pushing back all of their Phase Three movies except for Doctor Strange and IW just so that they can make a SIXTH Spidey movie (he's taking Thor: Ragnarok's spot in 2017 apparently) isn't exactly doing anything to assuage those concerns.
    You make it sound like Avengers and X-Men don't include pretty much every character that Marvel has... A Captain Marvel solo would have happened even if they had Spider-Man, X-Men and the FF from the start. It just had to considering how they're marketing their company.

Ultimate Member

Admittedly, as a big fan of the Carol/Peter dynamic in the comics, the prospect that we might actually get to see it in the films is kind of exciting for me.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by EuphemismForSex View Post
    You make it sound like Avengers and X-Men don't include pretty much every character that Marvel has... A Captain Marvel solo would have happened even if they had Spider-Man, X-Men and the FF from the start. It just had to considering how they're marketing their company.
    Yeah, but would we be getting it as soon as we are. I have my doubts. Hell they've already pushed it back for Spidey, which is telling right there.