View Poll Results: Are People "Over" the X-Men?

Voters
137. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES. They are just not cool anymore. Kind of done with them.

18 13.14%
  • NO. Axel does not speak for me. Mutant and Proud.

119 86.86%
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Default Are People Tired of the X-Men? (Axel-In-Charge Spoilers)

quick question for the forums: are you guys tired of the x-men family of books?

i ask because in today's axel-in-charge, it was mentioned how there were not that many x-books in the may solicits while also talking about the new spider books.

here was axel's response: "I think all of this is a symptom of a changing market -- the changing tastes and changing demographics of our readers. I also think it speaks to the confidence that retailers and fans have in the strength of our publishing line at this moment."

do most agree with this sentiment? are x-men just not in fashion anymore?

here is the full interview for reference: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=59485

Maybe a little?

After secret wars, I am sure we will get many flavors of x stories. The xmen can tell any kind of story.

Top Class Breeding ;) Mr. Brightside's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AcesX1X View Post
    quick question for the forums: are you guys tired of the x-men family of books?

i ask because in today's axel-in-charge, it was mentioned how there were not that many x-books in the may solicits while also talking about the new spider books.

here was axel's response: "I think all of this is a symptom of a changing market -- the changing tastes and changing demographics of our readers. I also think it speaks to the confidence that retailers and fans have in the strength of our publishing line at this moment."

do most agree with this sentiment? are x-men just not in fashion anymore?

here is the full interview for reference: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=59485
    Yes, "changing tastes" that clearly disliked/bombed Inhumans but that resulted in Uncanny Inhumans and Attilan Rising....... -_-
    CANON: "Cyclops, the most important mutant in 616" - The scientific community of the 616

Or could it be that sales are going down, because the quality of the writing and art aren't up to snuff? Why keep placing money in titles that aren't selling?

I would buy all the X books, if I knew I'd be getting a well crafted story every month. But the hit rate is pretty hit or miss lately.

I buy loads of IDW comics based on properties far more dated than the X-Men, and every month I'm amazed at the quality of work those writers and artist deliver on a continuous bases.
    Last edited by Beezzi; 02-20-2015 at 04:11 PM.

I love good x-men comics. It's a shame marvel decided to stop making them.

Brought to you by CarlsJr SickAlice's Avatar

Bored with the flavor and wanting some variety somewhat but not going to just stop eating what I love. I get testy when it comes to events though. I end up reading the main and stories that cater to my third-tier loves but the ad nauseam really turns me off and I end up reading more titles from other publishers.

I don't think the diminished titles is a sign of rejection exactly though. Marvel is trying to expand the territories of other families of books as well as create one or two like always. When expansion happens of course you have to fray some off the lower selling ones off the other big family of books to make room. Likewise when a territory expands in real life another territory, especially the one in power or #1 is going to get nervous just by nature. They may even think this new territory is dangerous to their own and that they face eradication (the pun to mutants is seriously unintentional here, sorry). I say really though even if one is no longer #1 it's not the end of the world. After all every empire is bound to fall at some point. Doesn't mean your people are gone.
    I make love, you make me sick.

They also said how they were less Avengers books as well. Which isn't completely true either, but it does look like a lot of titles are ending or going on hiatus during Secret War.
    I was trying to do too much and not doing any of it as well as I could. But I've had a change of mind... though not everyone shall enjoy it. I will.

#midnightermonday #uglystepchildren #lolgbtcomedyshow

Tumblr: http://newmutantmayhem.tumblr.com/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/ginger_drew/

I haven't liked the global direction of the franchise in a long time but there are a few bright spots here and there so I'm still reading.

Extraordinary Member

While I am not arguing about actual tastes or quality or anything, but he did not really give any examples of how tastes are changing. All I saw was boasting about the speculator orders for one title and then just name dropping two more. Let me know when any of these titles can outsell X-Men on a monthly basis.

The Best There Is berserkerclaw's Avatar

Axel answer was kinda not the right answer. Talking about changing demos and Spider-titles isn't why the books were not in may. Hickmans Avengers ended for secret wars.

As of X-Men I'm sur it's just that secret wars is coming and afterwards will be a line wide relaunch with the new creative teams that's coming.

Bendis was the only stable writer on the books. Yost has two arcs that's it Kalan only did 6 issues of Sm and the xmen. And wilson was, on for 4 issues cause adjectives is a round robin set up with rotating writers. The X books especially bendis books were selling. Sales didn't cancelled xbooks. SECRET WARS did

And to answer the poll. NO

I'm not tired of the X-Men. And I can't wait for the new Direction
    Last edited by berserkerclaw; 02-20-2015 at 04:30 PM.
    X-Men Forever

Militantly Indifferent Kisinith's Avatar

You're asking a loaded and misquoted question.

it's striking to me that with "Secret Wars" beginning, we're seeing things that are staples of the Marvel lineup -- "Avengers," "New Avengers" -- not around for a bit, along with fewer X-books. Basically, fewer of the things that are seen as "sure things" at Marvel, and in their places are new concepts, and different takes on revisited concepts. What's the mindset at Marvel of the risk/reward of giving a rest to some of these tried and true concepts, and bringing out some different material -- has Marvel become confident that's a worthwhile risk to undertake?
    Axel was being asked and responding to a question about the whole line of Marvel books, with respects to the status-quo shake ups of Secret Wars. It wasn't at any point about the X-Men. If you look at the actual question no Avengers and fewer X-books. Thats an important distinction.
    Last edited by Kisinith; 02-20-2015 at 04:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by berserkerclaw View Post
    Axel answer was kinda not the right answer. Talking about changing demos and Spider-titles isn't why the books were not in may. Hickmans Avengers ended for secret wars.

As of X-Men I'm sur it's just that secret wars is coming and afterwards will be a line wide relaunch with the new creative teams that's coming.

Bendis was the only stable writer on the books. Yost has two arcs that's it Kalan only did 6 issues of Sm and the xmen. And wilson was, on for 4 issues cause adjectives is a round robin set up with rotating writers. The X books especially bendis books were selling. Sales didn't cancelled xbooks. SECRET WARS did

And to answer the poll. NO

I'm not tired of the X-Men. And I can't wait for the new Direction
    You make a good point about Secret Wars. We'll have to wait and see numbers and amount of titles after it's over.

If Marvel are going to 'pizza' characters, it'll be interesting to see if their fanbases stick - not just for the X-Men, but for all the Marvel heroes.

Quote Originally Posted by Kisinith View Post
    You're asking a loaded and misquoted question.

Axel was being asked and responding to a question about the whole line of Marvel books, with respects to the status-quo shake ups of Secret Wars. It wasn't at any point about the X-Men. If you look at the actual question no Avengers and fewer X-books. Thats an important distinction.
    he had a chance to clarify himself but he didn't. x-men were name dropped for a reason since they were talking about "sure thing" books, which is what he was replying to.

Well, to be fair, they're still publishing new X-stuff too during this event. So while they took away some core X-men titles (and Avengers titles), they are replacing them with something during Secret Wars (and maybe beyond; who knows at this point). So far Inferno and Old Man Logan (with an A-list creative team) have been announced. I'm sure more are coming. AoA, Days of Future Past, '92, etc.

Militantly Indifferent Kisinith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AcesX1X View Post
    he had a chance to clarify himself but he didn't. x-men were name dropped for a reason since they were talking about "sure thing" books, which is what he was replying to.
    He wasn't asked about the X-Men, he was asked about the risk/reward of supporting new things. Whatever else may be said about the handling of the X-Line (and there is certainly a lot of criticism deserved there), not everything is about them. If someone is asked about expanding their breakfast palate away from surefire deliciousness like pancakes and waffles into trying new things and the responder doesn't expound in his answer on his love of waffles that does not equate to no longer loving waffles.