View Poll Results: Which Batman:Black and White trade is the best / should I check out first?

Voters
1. You may not vote on this poll
  • Vol 1

1 100.00%
  • Vol 2

0 0%
  • Vol 3

0 0%
  • Vol 4

0 0%
    All-New Member

Default Best Batman:Black and White TPB

Hey guys

I've been reading a large bunch of Batman comics, but I have never read a Batman:Black and White story.

Reading through some websites and all, I recently found out that some of those stories have won Eisner awards and are critically acclaimed too. They are divided in 4 trade paperbacks though, and I know they are individual stories, meaning there is no connection between them.

So this thread is basically to ask for your recommendations on which one is the best, or which one should I try first.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Vol 1 or 2. Vol 1 has my favorite B&W story...Two of a Kind by Bruce Timm. But Vol 2 is really good as well, and has a great alternate Joker origin in Case Study.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

If volume 1 is the reprint of the original miniseries, then it's definitely the best. Just outstanding all around with excellent art from true masters like Matt Wagner, Gary Gianni, Walt Simonson, Simon Bisley, Joe Kubert, etc. Some of Archie Goodwin's last stories, too, and they are great.

I believe that the follow-up volumes are reprints of the back-ups from Batman: Gotham Knights. They are more hit or miss, but there's a lot of gems in there, too.