Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default Bennett Assembles Battleworld's Mightiest Heroes in "A-Force"

"A-Force" co-writer Marguerite Bennett reveals the all-female's battle plan going into the Battleworld-set opening arc.

Full article here.

Before the solicits, the overall impression about Secret Wars was that it wasn't going to be a reboot, that the current Marvel characters would just be placed in a different Earth composed of pieces of different realities, but for the most part so far, all i can see is a complete reboot of the characters with alternate versions. Am i interpreting this wrong?

trente-et-un/treize responsarbre's Avatar

I'm really happy to see her reference that episode of Young Justice! That's exactly what I thought about when they launched this.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fifolet View Post
    Before the solicits, the overall impression about Secret Wars was that it wasn't going to be a reboot, that the current Marvel characters would just be placed in a different Earth composed of pieces of different realities, but for the most part so far, all i can see is a complete reboot of the characters with alternate versions. Am i interpreting this wrong?
    No one knows what's going to happen. But I wouldn't be surprised to see some "616" characters replaced.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

…but for the most part so far, all I can see is a complete reboot of the characters with alternate versions. Am i interpreting this wrong?
    It could be a mix of 616 characters and alts, we'll just have to wait and see. I want She-Hulk to be 616, but I won't be surprised if they pull a switcheroo and finally separate the Heroes Reborn She-Hulk from 616 She-Hulk whom she absorbed after the end of Heroes Reborn: The Return, and that's whom we will see.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

I think for the most part the regular 616 heroes will still be around, although we might have lost a couple of them during Last Days, but I suspect there'll be multiple versions of characters running about on Battleworld. Any 616 characters will still have all their history as valid, and the same for alternate characters, including ones we haven't met before I would suspect.

Anyway, I'm glad to see that we're not having male heroes be dead or worthless on Arcadia, simply that the female heroes have always on the whole led the charge, which is a cool concept. Kind of like the Ami-Con universe of DC's except handled way better.

Quote Originally Posted by Dog View Post
    No one knows what's going to happen. But I wouldn't be surprised to see some "616" characters replaced.
    Problem is most of the new #1s ongoings seem to have all the characters we know replaced. Inferno have a different Magik and Colossus from the solicts info. Old Man Logan have characters from that storyline, and from what i understood from this interview, all the female characters in A-Force are alternate versions as well (different histories from the 616 universe). Steve Rogers from Planet Hulk seems to be a different version as well. WTF? This isn't just replacing one or two characters. It's starting to look like a massive reboot of the characters.

Fantastic Member

The discussion of Singularity reminds me - what has happened to Captain Universe? I can't recall the last time she was in "The Avengers" but she is certainly one of the most powerful Marvel heroes. Indeed, I had first assumed Singularity was Captain U. Anyone have some insights about this?

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dog View Post
    Quoted in agreement.

My impression from the interview is that all of these characters in the opening arc are alternate versions from a world where women were the more socially and politically powerful of the genders.

My guess that after Secret Wars, some semblance of this will exist. Perhaps the MU versions of the characters witness these alts and decide to band together. Like a "did you see what we can accomplish if we worked together" type of thing.

That's totally a guess, though.

Mighty Member

Problem is most of the new #1s ongoings seem to have all the characters we know replaced. Inferno have a different Magik and Colossus from the solicts info. Old Man Logan have characters from that storyline, and from what i understood from this interview, all the female characters in A-Force are alternate versions as well (different histories from the 616 universe). Steve Rogers from Planet Hulk seems to be a different version as well. WTF? This isn't just replacing one or two characters. It's starting to look like a massive reboot of the characters.
    Maybe this is the most earnest attempt yet to establish a viable, profitable multiverse? So if you don't like your favorite character here, you can read about them there? Again, there's no way to know at the moment, so it might be best to just read what you want and let everything sort itself out later.

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeyefan View Post
    My impression from the interview is that all of these characters in the opening arc are alternate versions from a world where women were the more socially and politically powerful of the genders.

My guess that after Secret Wars, some semblance of this will exist. Perhaps the MU versions of the characters witness these alts and decide to band together. Like a "did you see what we can accomplish if we worked together" type of thing.

Makes sense.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

They're different domains, different versions of the characters, the classic versions will probably be fine for the most part. So it's really not a 'massive reboot' so much as an array of versions of characters available. And we don't know if any of the A-Force members might turn out to be 616 versions or from other universes besides Arcadia. People should really try to enjoy the new array of storylines and takes on characters without fearing for the originals.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

You COULD be right, wait and see I guess hawkeyefan.

BANNED

I think, basically, all of Marvel's heroines will have their origins and histories changed to make them stand more on their own. It'll just get rid of all the sexism inherent in their origins. A full empowerment lift. (Hopefully messes like the rape of Ms Marvel will be erased!) Which will be good, if done well.

As for the reason for re-forming the team- probably Singularity will bring them back together or that the events of Battleworld will be remembered by them somehow. We really can't know how this will shift from tie-in to ongoing.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Bennett
    I really didn't want to have some kind of validating reason. I remember watching one of the DCU animated cartoons a couple years ago where they put together a team of female heroines to go fight a villainess. I think it was Dick Grayson who was talking to them on screen and he was saying something like they couldn't send any male heroes to fight this villainess because she can control the minds of men. I believe it was Batgirl who sassed him back and essentially said, "Why are you trying to justify having a team of only women? No one would ever try to validate sending a team of only men."
    Thank you!!! I'm going to keep this just in case I feel the need to make it my signature! Lol