Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by lorddominicus85 View Post
    What was the original superman I ending?
    I think it was originally that he catches the Hackensack-missile and takes it into space and lets it go. The San Andreas Fault-missile hits and Superman does his thing: lifting the plates, saving the bus, etc., including saving Lois from being suffocated by the dirt. The missile-in-space explodes and breaks the Phantom Zone portal releasing the Zod Crew.

We're then told that Superman will return next year (or something like that).

It seems a little anticlimactic. The biggest feats happen at the start(catching the Hackensack missile and lifting the plates), then he deals with a bunch of smaller-scale issues. It would have been better if there was something like him preventing the collapse of a skyscraper or even stopping a tsunami wave. I guess maybe the dam waters heading for the town was meant to be the climactic action sequence of the movie but was marred by the unrealistic miniatures.

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

The unfinished scenes and effects were too much for me to overcome. It also suffers from the fact that it reuses the exact same resolution (reversing time) as the first film. I get that was because the original film was supposed to end differently, but it's still a knock on the Donner Cut.

I also like the Niagara Falls sequence better than Lois shooting Clark with a gun.

I don't like the ending to the Donner Cut, because it undoes basically the whole movie, putting the criminals back in the Zone without explaining how they just won't come back out again.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Acro View Post
    I don't like the ending to the Donner Cut, because it undoes basically the whole movie, putting the criminals back in the Zone without explaining how they just won't come back out again.
    Also, when you think about it, assuming that in the donner cut version of events he still spun the earth around backwards after he tossed the missile in space, when counting both world turnings, that means there are three Supermen from three points in time coexisting. I think that would qualify as a MAJOR paradox.

I think there would only be multiple Supermen temporarily, like at the end of Back to the Future with the two Martys.

Someday people will realize Superman III was the best Superman movie of all four.

I will admit that the trippy Supes vs. Clark fight is one of the best scenes in the entire series, but overall, III falls very, very short. But you can't beat drunk asshole Superman. If you see the five o'clock shadow, run for your life. Pak should do something with Superbeard here. We all know facial hair is the tell-tale sign of an evil doppelganger (i.e. Spock).

The biggest issue I have with Superman III is the villain plots are just too silly. How do you reprogram a weather satellite to make weather? If the Vulcan satellite were a weather manipulation device to begin with, that would have been acceptable for a science fantasy movie, but a mundane weather satellite being reprogrammed to cause a tropical storm is just flat out magic. And the overlying problem is Gus just happens to be a genius who is the best computer programmer in the world and can build a self-aware supercomputer with maybe just a few days of experience from a computer programming school.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Ironically Superman III is Chris Reeve's best portrayle of Superman and Clark. He had the right amount of bulk and a few extra years of age that he looked amazing in the suit. Also, in III his Clark, while mild mannered, wasn't the over the top cartoon we had in I and II.

Superman III is actually not a terrible movie, especially if one treats it as a 1980's Pre-Crisis Superman annual brought to life. Just another episode in the everyday life of Superman. Yeah the villains and the plot is silly, but thats part of the charm.It's a nice stand alone story.

Tbh...the only truly terrible Superman film is IV. That one I just can't take.
    Last edited by manofsteel1979; 03-08-2015 at 03:30 PM.

Yeah there are parts I like, and I do believe his performance is the best in III. It's just too bad it can't be transplanted into the better movies. But maybe it makes sense in a way that when Clark first starts out, the secret identity is more artificial, and over time as he develops relationships he begins to relax the act a little bit and it becomes more of a fully-formed persona.