View Poll Results: Muts the Peter Parker Of The Marvel Cinematic Universe Be Depicted By A White Guy?

Voters
113. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, Peter Parker should be played by a white guy.

64 56.64%
  • No, Peter Parker should be played by someone who isn't a white guy

7 6.19%
  • No, race should not be a factor either way in a decision to cast a new Peter Parker

42 37.17%
Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by The Negative Zone View Post
    I remember Stan Lee saying that when Spider-Man wears his mask, you can imagine him being anyone under there.
    I remember a facetious suggestion going around when the Raimi film was first coming together that they should just put Jackie Chan in the costume and save money on special effects.

Irrelevant, but I was reminded of it.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by magnum View Post
    Luke Cage could not be played by a white actor as being a black man is a part of who the character is, part of how he has been formed. So this a very bad comparison. Peter being white was not a part of the characters development.
    Wow, totally incorrect on every level. The comparison is completely relevant.

Being white is exactly who Peter Parker is. It has everything to do with his development as a character. Just because he doesn't run around screaming "White power" does not make him less caucasian. He may peripherally care about social issues, he isn't a bigot, but he can also unmask and walk into a store without the added scrutiny that comes with being black (Just as a crude example).

Spider-Man, ostensibly, could BE anybody UNDER the mask. But Peter is white. He is as white as white gets. In fact, has anyone African American ever even written Spider-Man in a meaningful, lasting and impactful way? WHITE. It is who he is.

Luke Cage does his thing without a mask. He is black. He has and lives the concerns of a black man because those are relevant to who is is, why he is and how he behaves. It affects his motivations. The fact that Peter Parker is NOT black is exactly why this is a perfect comparison. You are talking about adding these cultural concerns to who Peter Parker is, therefore completely changing the character as he is as both Peter Parker AND Spider-Man.

So I say it again, a white person would not play Luke Cage, why then would we want a black person to play Peter Parker? Why not allow for the creation of a character, or better yet, Miles Morales carry the cultural mores that come with his ethinicity rather than rewrite the DNA of an established character?

Anything else is an alteration of the established character... and at that point, creativity suggests making a new character, rather than trying to whitewash the old one.
    Last edited by Fiasco Jones; 02-22-2015 at 02:38 PM.

Luke Cage could not be played by a white actor as being a black man is a part of who the character is, part of how he has been formed. So this a very bad comparison. Peter being white was not a part of the characters development.

Here's the thing the movies will always be something different, Nick Fury is played by Samuel Jackson, I knew Nick Fury as a white guy, still worked in movie. The movies and the comics are not the same. Movies take creative license to adapt to their liking. Would it be different to see a non-white peter.......sure. It does not change the comics though!
    Uh, movie Nick Fury is probably the most literal comic adaptation there is. Ultimate Fury was modeled after Samuel L Jackson and the movie Fury even follows Ultimate Fury's backstory by keeping him out of WWII.

I voted - No, race should not be a factor either way in a decision to cast a new Peter Parker, it is just the way I feel. If the actor is good and fits the role go with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Tiger View Post
    Uh, movie Nick Fury is probably the most literal comic adaptation there is. Ultimate Fury was modeled after Samuel L Jackson and the movie Fury even follows Ultimate Fury's backstory by keeping him out of WWII.
    I actually prefer Ultimate Fury/Samuel L Jackson Fury to the original, but maybe that is just me?

Of course I'm a huge Samuel L Jackson fan. I also loved him as Jedi Master Mace Windu in Star Wars.

i think you could make some sort of argument for peter’s ethnicity having an effect on his development in the comic books, i don’t know if it is intrinsic enough so as to affect the nucleus of the character. would an asian american wise-cracking nerd called peter who lived with his extended family be that different? don’t think so.

my feeling is that if an actor of a non-caucasian background captured the essence of peter’s persona more accurately and joyously than a rival caucasian actor, why not cast him? that being said though, I also have no issue with his default casting being caucasian.

BANNED

Since he'd be Asian and living in Queens, I think there'd be some meat to add to that version of Peter. There's a fairly healthy Asian community in the area that's been growing for a lot of years now, and a few Asian gangs as well.

It probably wouldn't follow exactly with the stories folks read in comics, but that's sorta the point.

Quote Originally Posted by cyberhubbs View Post
    Since he'd be Asian and living in Queens, I think there'd be some meat to add to that version of Peter. There's a fairly healthy Asian community in the area that's been growing for a lot of years now, and a few Asian gangs as well.

It probably wouldn't follow exactly with the stories folks read in comics, but that's sorta the point.
    yeah, could go either way depending on how the writer wants to portray the character and what they want to say. it would be valid (and interesting) to address the realities of being an asian american in queens but it’s also every bit as valid to portray him as a “fully integrated” asian american with little difference from a caucasian. but neither would change the heart of who peter is. you can even keep the full name in both cases, which could create a few funny circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiasco Jones View Post

Being white is exactly who Peter Parker is. It has everything to do with his development as a character. Just because he doesn't run around screaming "White power" does not make him less caucasian. He may peripherally care about social issues, he isn't a bigot, but he can also unmask and walk into a store without the added scrutiny that comes with being black (Just as a crude example).

Spider-Man, ostensibly, could BE anybody UNDER the mask. But Peter is white. He is as white as white gets. In fact, has anyone African American ever even written Spider-Man in a meaningful, lasting and impactful way? WHITE. It is who he is.

Luke Cage does his thing without a mask. He is black. He has and lives the concerns of a black man because those are relevant to who is is, why he is and how he behaves. It affects his motivations. The fact that Peter Parker is NOT black is exactly why this is a perfect comparison. You are talking about adding these cultural concerns to who Peter Parker is, therefore completely changing the character as he is as both Peter Parker AND Spider-Man.

So I say it again, a white person would not play Luke Cage, why then would we want a black person to play Peter Parker? Why not allow for the creation of a character, or better yet, Miles Morales carry the cultural mores that come with his ethinicity rather than rewrite the DNA of an established character?

Anything else is an alteration of the established character... and at that point, creativity suggests making a new character, rather than trying to whitewash the old one.
    No sorry not incorrect, but thanks for the opinion.

My point is the MOVIES are not the comic books therefor do not impact the comics or the history of said comic book!

Peter Parker does not fight crime or injustices that have occurred to his race, Luke Cage has. That is a major difference. Not sure how you don't see that.

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Tiger View Post
    I am not saying he isn't, but he does not look like the Nick Fury in the comics (before Ultimate).

Do you feel the same way about the current actor slated to play Johnny Storm in the newest Fantastic Four film?

I am not saying he isn't, but he does not look like the Nick Fury in the comics (before Ultimate).
    Right, they didn't put 616 Nick Fury on the screen, they put Ultimate Nick Fury on the screen. They even gave him the Ultimate version of the SHIELD logo and made his base the Triskelion, like in the Ultimates.

Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    i think you could make some sort of argument for peter’s ethnicity having an effect on his development in the comic books, i don’t know if it is intrinsic enough so as to affect the nucleus of the character. would an asian american wise-cracking nerd called peter who lived with his extended family be that different? don’t think so.

my feeling is that if an actor of a non-caucasian background captured the essence of peter’s persona more accurately and joyously than a rival caucasian actor, why not cast him? that being said though, I also have no issue with his default casting being caucasian.
    Well said. I agree that Peter being white is not as intrinsic to the character as other non caucasian characters.

Skin color is just skin color. Doesn't matter to me if they use a non-white person in the role.

In fact, has anyone African American ever even written Spider-Man in a meaningful, lasting and impactful way? WHITE. It is who he is.
    Do you realize how this sounds? Because let me tell you, I sure do. :/
    Favorite characters: Cyclops, Emma Frost, Ozymandias, The Riddler, Hellboy, Renee Montoya.