View Poll Results: Muts the Peter Parker Of The Marvel Cinematic Universe Be Depicted By A White Guy?

Voters
113. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, Peter Parker should be played by a white guy.

64 56.64%
  • No, Peter Parker should be played by someone who isn't a white guy

7 6.19%
  • No, race should not be a factor either way in a decision to cast a new Peter Parker

42 37.17%
Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    I like this one:
    If Marvel and Sony want Miles Morales ( or even Miguel O'Hara) as Spider-Man, that is fine, there is nothing wrong with that. But the idea of making Peter Parker or James Bond Black is PC (Politically Correctness) run amok. What "Amazes" me is how ( despite the DECLINES at the Box Office ( like the 2014 Mid-Term Elections), the Entertainment Industry ( which Marvel/ Disney is a huge part of), continues to drift further Left, basically away from the mainstream of America. I now get this quote: "I didn't leave the Democratic Party, it left me." ( Ronald Reagan).

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    I like this one:
    But if you were asked to describe his physical traits, it absolutely should be in there.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler53 View Post
    If Marvel and Sony want Miles Morales ( or even Miguel O'Hara) as Spider-Man, that is fine, there is nothing wrong with that. But the idea of making Peter Parker or James Bond Black is PC (Politically Correctness) run amok. What "Amazes" me is how ( despite the DECLINES at the Box Office ( like the 2014 Mid-Term Elections), the Entertainment Industry ( which Marvel/ Disney is a huge part of), continues to drift further Left, basically away from the mainstream of America. I now get this quote: "I didn't leave the Democratic Party, it left me." ( Ronald Reagan).
    There's no "making" anyone anything. Casting is another thing. Best actor for the job. There's a difference between this pro-active idea of "making", which would be to seek out a non-white actor, and the more passive idea of simply not excluding non-white actors from auditions. Politics only enters into it when one injects it.

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    But if you were asked to describe his physical traits, it absolutely should be in there.
    Sure.

Of course, I'd be screwed anyway, because Peter's physical traits are that he has brown hair and (usually) hazel eyes. I'm not even sure his height is all that consistent, other than he's not tall for a man.

Anyway, can anyone imagine The Shawshank Redemption being the same without Morgan Freeman?
    Last edited by Tuck; 02-23-2015 at 11:31 AM.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Heisennerd View Post
    What's wrong with a family depecticed as "mixed race"? Those kind of families exist, why can't a work of art show that without being accused of "pandering"? Why is it never pandering when the cast is all white?
    Not only his family, his supporting characters too.

Think about it, what if they made Spidey black, and left Flash white? And when Flash bullies him? People will think right away that Flash is racist and not a typical high school jock.

Please, if you chnage Spidey, you have to change the characters around him too. That is why i say this idea is stupid. Let him be.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ryu77 View Post
    Not only his family, his supporting characters too.

Think about it, what if they made Spidey black, and left Flash white? And when Flash bullies him? People will think right away that Flash is racist and not a typical high school jock.

Please, if you chnage Spidey, you have to change the characters around him too. That is why i say this idea is stupid. Let him be.
    If Peter doesn't have to be white than neither does Flash. Aunt May isn't even a blood relative of Peter so she wouldn't necessarily have to be "changed" either. And so what if Flash comes off as racist, he's a tormentor of Peter regardless; typical high school jocks can't be racist or perceived to be racist?

The poorly thought through rationalizations for why this couldn't work are poorly thought through.

Rachel turned into Ahab's baby momma by Marvel. Disgusting.

Don't agree with race changing Peter.

If we need a different colored Peter there's also alternate characters to use, who have different name and background, or even a successor like Miles Morales.

Mild-Mannered Reporter BlitheringToot's Avatar

The MCU Spider-Man should be Peter Parker, and he should be played by a white guy.

Preferably a white guy under 25 for once.
    "What would you prefer? Yellow spandex?" – Scott Summers, 2000

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    That's an interesting argument.

We do generally make the assumption that whiteness is neutral even though it isn't.

That said, the Peter Parker of the comics has changed from a guy who grew up in the 1950s to a millennial, so that's probably a bigger difference than whether Peter Parker is a white guy born in the 1990s or a black guy born in the 1990s.

I don't agree with the argument that we should just create new iconic characters with greater diversity. Writers and artists don't choose in advance which characters take off, and many of the older characters benefitted from filling needs generations ago when the old lead characters were white. That's not particularly fair.

There may come a point where the meat results in a character that is fundamantally different. That could be a concern.

The Fantastic Four's a bit different in that characters who were siblings in the comics don't seem to be blood relatives in the film.

The only member of Peter's family who is a major part of the supporting cast is Aunt May, who isn't a blood relative, so the race of one character doesn't seem to be important for the casting of another.
    I don't know about fundamentally different. It's still a smart kid growing up in New York and learning to be responsible with his powers and his life and sometimes failing in the process. That works across various backgrounds and cultures. There's room for variation, sure, but I think that's also part of the exploration. How does a character like Peter Parker deal in a different ethnic community? What are his issues and concerns and how does that affect his role as Spider-Man?

Spectacular Member rhymeswithparc's Avatar

Those arguments are the worst. He ends with the comment about others being able to survive if comics look different from the movies but literally begins by saying he's scared of the opposite opinion.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by rhymeswithparc View Post
    Those arguments are the worst. He ends with the comment about others being able to survive if comics look different from the movies but literally begins by saying he's scared of the opposite opinion.
    The opposite opinion of "Peter can be played by anyone" isn't "Peter must be white"

The poorly thought out rationalizations that Peter must be white are off-putting & exclusionary.

The opposite opinion of "Peter can be played by anyone" isn't "Peter must be white"

The poorly thought out rationalizations that Peter must be white are off-putting & exclusionary.
    There's no rationalization; it's an opinion based off how a character has been visually defined. The argument isn't even whether there should be a black Spider-Man, it's specifically about the look of a character who already has a look that some fans want to see on screen. And debating my use of "opposite" is just semantics. There is the third view point (which no one is criticizing even though it would be equally exclusionary by this logic) represented in the poll but let's face it, there are only two popular opinions here and Slott began a tirade by saying that he was scared of one and ended that rant by making a facetious comment that would be better served if it were directed at himself.

That's not what he said.

He posted "Some of the comments, rigidity, rationalizations, and-- in some cases-- flat-out-anger by some that Spider-Man MUST "be white" scare me."

The "Some" is very important.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

There's no rationalization; it's an opinion based off how a character has been visually defined. The argument isn't even whether there should be a black Spider-Man, it's specifically about the look of a character who already has a look that some fans want to see on screen. And debating my use of "opposite" is just semantics. There is the third view point (which no one is criticizing even though it would be equally exclusionary by this logic) represented in the poll but let's face it, there are only two popular opinions here and Slott began a tirade by saying that he was scared of one and ended that rant by making a facetious comment that would be better served if it were directed at himself.
    Slott is only saying that the best actor regardless of race should play Peter, which isn't exclusionary. And he's right.
    Last edited by Heisennerd; 02-23-2015 at 03:45 PM.

That's not what he said.

He posted "Some of the comments, rigidity, rationalizations, and-- in some cases-- flat-out-anger by some that Spider-Man MUST "be white" scare me."

The "Some" is very important.
    Did his posts not read as rigid and angry? Did he not use ridiculous rationalizations (Tobey's eyes being blue and not hazel to prove that people will only be mad if Peter was of a different race? c'mon!)? I made that post to point what I saw as an obvious hypocrisy in a discussion about opinions. There's no right or wrong one yet he makes facetious comments about one that would normally be literally applied after the first statement he made. Put it there (but change 'different' to 'same'), it'll make sense.

How is saying Peter Parker should be played by the best actor regardless of race exclusionary towards anybody?
    I believe he's referring to the third option, that Peter should not be played by a white guy. There are certain arguments for it (a need for more minority role models, it will make racists unhappy, it will be one measure against institutional racism that makes it tougher to cast a black man as Spider-Man, it will elevate the stature of a young POC actor) but it's not a popular option on the poll.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets