Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question HELP: Recommendations for a Marvel fan, wanting to read more DC?

Back on early 90's (90~95), i really enjoyed reading comics. Mostly Marvel comics due to X-Man and Spider-man animations that i really liked. The time went by, and i eventually stopped reading comics. With the release of some great comic movies, like Batman Begins, Iron Man and Dark Knight, i were motivated to start buying comics again. So i did.

The problem is that i continued to be attracted to Marvel comics, and now, something like 80% of my collection is from Marvel. And that bugs me.

I find many DC characters interesting (like Superman, Batman, The Flash and Green Lantern) and i have read some great DC graphic novels (like "The Killing Joke", "All-star Superman" and "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?"), some other good GNs too (Superman: Secret Origin, Batman: Earth One, Superman: Earth One, Death of the Family) and have also tried some on-going series, like the new Justice League (read #1-15), Constantine #1, The Flash #1 and Green Lantern #1-6. But none of them "grabbed me".

I'm feeling that i am not reading the right comics, what do you think? If i am not, can you recommend me some great stories to read?

Thanks.

EDIT: Here are some tips for you to help me.

Marvel comics i've really enjoyed reading:
    - whole Infinity stories (Thano's Quest, Infinity Gauntlet, Infinity War and Infinity Cruzade... Hated Infinity event, the recent one, though)
    - The Ultimates (vol 1 and 2)
    - Planet Hulk and World War Hulk
    - Ultimate Spider-man
    - Ultimate Fantastic Four
    - Ultimate Cataclysm event
    - House of M event
    - Marvel Zombies (vol. 1, 2 and 3)
    - Superior Spider-man

On going titles i'm buying:
    - Mrs. Marvel (read them all, really enjoying Alphona's art)
    - All-New X-men
    - Inhumans

Other comics i like:
    - The Unwritten (Vertigo)
    - Locke & Key (IDW)
    - Saga (Image)

EDIT2: Marvel characters i like

Well, i really have just a few favourite characters. They would be Thanos (and Adam Warlock along with it), Kamala Khan (Mrs. Marvel) and Reed Richards (like his scientist side, and the inter dimensional stories).

But having just a few favourite characters really don't stop me to read about many, many other characters. For example, if i read something about X-Men, it would be very easy to get some references to Jean Grey and Phoenix. So, i start reading Jean Grey and Phoenix Comics. If i read Planet Hulk and see something on Reed Richards that i like, i start reading some Richard's comics. Watching Guardians of the Galaxy movie made me buy some Guardians of the Galaxy comics. With the future release of Daredevil's Netflix series, i ended up buying Mark Waid's run. And so it goes on.

If i were to choose some characters to reference you, i'd probably have just these few, as i like to see and understand them all,
    Last edited by Nicodemus; 02-22-2015 at 02:49 PM.

Time for Dissection FlashingSabre's Avatar

I got into DC a similar way. What kind of characters are you into? That will help narrow down your many, many options.
    Cyclops was right

What Marvel comics did you enjoy?
    BB

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Yeah what do you generally like (characters/genres)? If you like 90s comics since you started reading then you might like Knightfall, Hawkworld, Green Arrow Longbow Hunters and Spectre by Ostrander.
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

I've updated the topic with some Marvel comics i like.

If you like Ms. Marvel, I would suggest the current Batgirl run (from issue #35 on).

In general, here's a list of the "best" DC books out right now, at least IMO....

--Batman (Scott Snyder has been on an epic run. Start at Batman #1 from the current series)
    --Forever Evil (not an ongoing book, but you mentioned a couple events that you enjoyed from Marvel, so this here is probably DC's best and most recent event)
    --Action Comics (Greg Pak's run, from issue #26 on....okay, so his run actually began at #25, but that was part of a Batman event and isn't necessary to enjoy Pak's actual run on the title)
    --Grayson (IMO, this is the BESSSSST book DC has out right now. It's really early in the book, so you shouldn't have a problem getting started. However, if you read this, it would probably help to read Forever Evil first as the evolution of Dick Grayson from superhero to spy begins there.)
    --Green Arrow (only read Jeff Lemire's run, from issues #17-34)
    --The Robin Rises event.
    --The current Teen Titans book by Will Pfeifer.
    --Wonder Woman (only Brian Azzarello's run, from issue #1-35)

I highly suggest checking out Martian Manhunter's series (by Ostrander). I'm getting ready to re-read the whole thing myself. He's a powerful character, somewhat introspective. In my opinion, he is the heart and soul of the Justice League. The mini only lasted 36 issues, so not to intimidating if you want to check out some of the older stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by brandnewfan View Post
    If you like Ms. Marvel, I would suggest the current Batgirl run (from issue #35 on).

In general, here's a list of the "best" DC books out right now, at least IMO....

--Batman (Scott Snyder has been on an epic run. Start at Batman #1 from the current series)
    --Forever Evil (not an ongoing book, but you mentioned a couple events that you enjoyed from Marvel, so this here is probably DC's best and most recent event)
    --Action Comics (Greg Pak's run, from issue #26 on....okay, so his run actually began at #25, but that was part of a Batman event and isn't necessary to enjoy Pak's actual run on the title)
    --Grayson (IMO, this is the BESSSSST book DC has out right now. It's really early in the book, so you shouldn't have a problem getting started. However, if you read this, it would probably help to read Forever Evil first as the evolution of Dick Grayson from superhero to spy begins there.)
    --Green Arrow (only read Jeff Lemire's run, from issues #17-34)
    --The Robin Rises event.
    --The current Teen Titans book by Will Pfeifer.
    --Wonder Woman (only Brian Azzarello's run, from issue #1-35)
    Dude... Thanks for all these tips. I've been looking at the descriptions of these comics you mentioned, on comixology, and i'll probably buy Forever Evil and take a look at Greyson. I've already bought Court of Owls, just haven't read it yet. I'll also take a look on it.

About Batman, one question here... What's the difference between Batman, Batman Eternal and Detective Comics?

Another question here... What about these Injustice comics? They always get on top sell lists on Comixology. Is it that good? Is it running on the main DC universe or another one?

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post

About Batman, one question here... What's the difference between Batman, Batman Eternal and Detective Comics?
    They are just the current three main Batman solo titles. The Batman and 'Tec titles are industry mainstays and have been published non-stop for 75 years now. Batman Eternal is much more recent. It's a weekly ongoing until Convergence.

All Batman centric, they are mostly helmed by separate creative teams (although Scott Snyder writes for both BM and BM:E). A bit like the different Avengers or X-Men series over at Marvel but concentrating on the Batman universe. Is that what you were looking for??

BANNED

Another question here... What about these Injustice comics? They always get on top sell lists on Comixology. Is it that good? Is it running on the main DC universe or another one?
    The Injustice comics are comic book prequels to a popular fighting game that was released a few years ago. You don't have to play the game to understand it though, and unlike many game-to-comic (or movie-to-comic) adaptations the Injustice comics are phenomenal. Many argue that it is the best series DC is putting out and while I wouldn't go that far I will say that it's definitely way up there. It takes place in an alternate universe and is very dark, and I wouldn't recommend it if you're a fan of Superman as he's the big villain of the title. I do highly recommend it if you want a DC Comic to read, though, and it isn't necessary to play the game first (I didn't) .

Dude... Thanks for all these tips. I've been looking at the descriptions of these comics you mentioned, on comixology, and i'll probably buy Forever Evil and take a look at Greyson. I've already bought Court of Owls, just haven't read it yet. I'll also take a look on it.

Batman is the flagship title and, being by Snyder and Capullo, it's clearly the gold standard. Batman Eternal and Detective might be up and down in quality but the Batman title is always excellent. If you read just one Batman book, "Batman" is the one to buy and I don't think anyone here would disagree with that.

I've read today "The Court of Owls", and now i understand why all the fuzz about it. It's fantastic to see what Snyder and all other artists have done with Batman. Gorgeous art, incredible script and astonishing story. Can't wait to read "The City of Owls".

Well... Now i'm hooked on Batman. =P Give me more! =P

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    Batman is the flagship title and, being by Snyder and Capullo, it's clearly the gold standard. Batman Eternal and Detective might be up and down in quality but the Batman title is always excellent. If you read just one Batman book, "Batman" is the one to buy and I don't think anyone here would disagree with that.
    I would disagree. I think Manapul's and Buccelato's Detective Comics is better than Snyder's run.
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

I've read today "The Court of Owls", and now i understand why all the fuzz about it. It's fantastic to see what Snyder and all other artists have done with Batman. Gorgeous art, incredible script and astonishing story. Can't wait to read "The City of Owls".

Well... Now i'm hooked on Batman. =P Give me more! =P
    More Batman? Alright then, first I'm going to list the classics:
    Batman Year one
    Dark Knight Returns
    Killing Joke
    Batman Long Halloween and Dark victory
    Batman Hush
    Knightfall
    Death in the Family (by Starlin)
    Morrison's Batman saga
    Batman Black Mirror (also by Snyder)

And now my personal favorites:
    Batman Dark Knight Dark City (great mystery story with the most dangerous Riddler you'll ever see)
    Gotham Central (not a Batman book but a GCPD book. Highly recommended)
    The Man who laughs (great Joker story by Brubaker)