Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    Brave attempt. Problem is thinking Peter wouldn't search to the ends of the earth to find his wife. Yes, she'd still be his wife in his eyes despite that divorce. He wouldn't just move on.

It might have been fun. A mini-series for each state/city Peter searches. Spider-Man: Chicago by John Byrne.
    True, I think my OMD variant in which Peter has to make the deal or allow say a school bus full of children to die would have been the best solution. I would also have Peter remember both realities and the deal he struck but have it made clear if he ever tells anyone or acts out of character the deal is off and the kids die.

The best solution would have been to write Pete and MJ off into the sunset and then do a hard reboot.

It's a reboot anyway. And it would make as much sense to focus it on Spider-Man's world as it does in OMD. The changes to Spider-Man are pretty drastic, even leaving the Satanic Annulment out of it. Venom doesn't know who Peter is, Norman, Harry, Felicia, Chameleon, Matt. These are huge, spidey-world altering changes. Harry's alive, and divorced. Flash is an amputee, and the memory loss is just gone. I don't see why just calling it a reboot without all the mystical stuff would create more upheaval in the MU.

This way, we get the same result. Marriage fans still hate it (but maybe a little less), but we can skip all the logic problems. And Peter and Mary Jane get to finish out their story . . . somewhere. Instead, with OMD we get the marriage never even happened.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    True, I think my OMD variant in which Peter has to make the deal or allow say a school bus full of children to die would have been the best solution. I would also have Peter remember both realities and the deal he struck but have it made clear if he ever tells anyone or acts out of character the deal is off and the kids die.
    Interesting. My variant would just have been a forever-unexplained retelling of the marriage issue...where the marriage didn't happen. It would have still pissed off plenty. But no devil deal. But no explanation either (hiccup in universe? some cosmic being intervention? WTF?...all forever unanswered). All marriage stories still happened w/o the marriage.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    All marriage stories still happened w/o the marriage.
    I still don't reckon they did. If they had, Peter and MJ would not have so easily separated during OMIT, and the pregnancy thing is still a debatable issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    The best solution would have been to write Pete and MJ off into the sunset and then do a hard reboot.

It's a reboot anyway. And it would make as much sense to focus it on Spider-Man's world as it does in OMD. The changes to Spider-Man are pretty drastic, even leaving the Satanic Annulment out of it. Venom doesn't know who Peter is, Norman, Harry, Felicia, Chameleon, Matt. These are huge, spidey-world altering changes. Harry's alive, and divorced. Flash is an amputee, and the memory loss is just gone. I don't see why just calling it a reboot without all the mystical stuff would create more upheaval in the MU.

This way, we get the same result. Marriage fans still hate it (but maybe a little less), but we can skip all the logic problems. And Peter and Mary Jane get to finish out their story . . . somewhere. Instead, with OMD we get the marriage never even happened.
    The hard reboot doesn't work with the shared Marvel Universe.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    The hard reboot doesn't work with the shared Marvel Universe.
    But they already did it. It's a sleight of hand trick they pulled. It was certainly an "al dente" reboot as it stands.

But they already did it. It's a sleight of hand trick they pulled. It was certainly an "al dente" reboot as it stands.
    But it meant Marvel could still publish Bendis's Avengers, Brubaker's Captain America, Whedon/ Cassady's Astonishing X-Men, Ellis/ Deodato's Thunderbolts, Brubaker's Daredevil and all their other runs, to say nothing of later teams that would go on to take advantage of the history of the shared Marvel Universe.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

But it meant Marvel could still publish Bendis's Avengers, Brubaker's Captain America, Whedon/ Cassady's Astonishing X-Men, Ellis/ Deodato's Thunderbolts, Brubaker's Daredevil and all their other runs, to say nothing of later teams that would go on to take advantage of the history of the shared Marvel Universe.
    Many alternate universes have the same shared history up to a point of divergence. It's very much the case here. We have a glorified extended run of "What If..." rather than the real deal

I understand, but it's already a rolling retcon of pinpointed, ad hoc changes. I don't see how it's any less bogus to warp Peter into some other form than it is to rewrite 20 years of history and mind-wipe the population of the earth (and probably some space-faring characters to boot).

I still say, Uatu getting drunk and watching the wrong earth makes as much sense as OMD, and has less holes.

I understand, but it's already a rolling retcon of pinpointed, ad hoc changes. I don't see how it's any less bogus to warp Peter into some other form than it is to rewrite 20 years of history and mind-wipe the population of the earth (and probably some space-faring characters to boot).

I still say, Uatu getting drunk and watching the wrong earth makes as much sense as OMD, and has less holes.
    There were already rolling retcons necesiitated by the sliding timeline which meant that the Fantastic Four could not be about two World War II veterans who tried to beat the commies to space.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Marvel Time is untenable in the long run.

They'd be better off planning to sunset timelines periodically.

Ultimate Member

It's already a permanent black mark in the Spider-franchise. It's infamously bad, even to quite a few non-comic readers. Do it invalidate all of the GOOD stuff that we've gotten over the decades, certainly not. But it's always going to stick out as a low point for the franchise, just like the Clone Saga for example.