Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BANNED

Default Will One More Day be a permanent black mark in Spider-Man history ?

Despite his longevity, there has been some "Black Marks" in Spider-man history that just can't go away. From the Burglar to Venom these things are such black marks in Spidey's world that just will not go away.

However, will the events of One More Day be a black mark in SPidey history that just will not be forgotten until otherwise Re conned out of existence ?

Because Spidey did catch the Burglar later in his career and Venom....well that is complex history. All I"m saying is that no matter how good or how bad Spider-man life gets in the comics, it pales in comparison to the one time he made a "DEAL WITH an ACTUAL DEVIL" and compromised his morals.

However as Spider-man fans what do you think of this ?

BANNED

I'm cool with it.

Honestly Sins Past is the permanent black mark in Spider-Man history.

OMD isn't as bad for the actual affect on Spider-Man history, it's a poorly written story. Most people that look back on OMD should really have one thought
    "Why on earth did they not make him a teenager when they had the chance?"

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Aruran. View Post
    Honestly Sins Past is the permanent black mark in Spider-Man history.
    Gwen Stacy character maybe, but wouldn't the exploits of Spider-Gwen negate that ?

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    Gwen Stacy character maybe, but wouldn't the exploits of Spider-Gwen negate that ?
    No because in the 50+ years of Spider-Man, Marvel thought it was ok to write a story where Peter's girlfriend cheated on him with one of his greatest enemies, got knocked up, decided not to tell him and kept the babies a secret.

Really the first thing would've been when they killed Baby May off in the Clone Saga, but since it's been retconned it's not that big of a deal. Marvel won't touch Sins Past with a 10ft pole.

With OMD, you can understand it for the creative reasons behind it even if you personally don't agree with that view.

Up there with Hank Pym hitting his wife, Peter Parker hitting his wife, Dr. Light raping Sue Dibny, and Kyle Rayner finding his girlfriend in a fridge. More of a black mark on the company that allowed it, in my opinion, than the character. Comic companies go a long way to make points, get people to notice and get cash. Its a business, what are you gonna do. I just enjoy the stories I enjoy and leave it there.

Quote Originally Posted by Aruran. View Post
    No because in the 50+ years of Spider-Man, Marvel thought it was ok to write a story where Peter's girlfriend cheated on him with one of his greatest enemies, got knocked up, decided not to tell him and kept the babies a secret.....
    That story was also horrible on multiple levels. If not for the concept behind OMD, a deal with the Marvel 616 Devil stand in, it'd be my top worse Spidey story of all time. As things currently stand Sins Past is a close second on my despicable tales list.

BANNED

Probably because they didn't want to start over from scratch. Peter still had his current crop of adventures, just not as a married man.

I think to about half of Spider-Man fans it will, and half it won't.

For fans who liked the marriage and thought it enhanced the character.... yes, I think it's a shame.

For fans who can't get over the devil deal aspect... yes it's a shame.

For fans who wanted a single Peter again and don't care how he got there, it's good.

For fans who wanted a single Peter, but not in that way... eh, take it or leave it.

For fans who don't care either way. Take it or leave it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex85 View Post

For fans who liked the marriage and thought it enhanced the character.... yes, I think it's a shame.

For fans who wanted a single Peter again and don't care how he got there, it's good.

For fans who wanted a single Peter, but not in that way... eh, take it or leave it.

Aye, it is.
    Last edited by rgx; 02-22-2015 at 07:00 PM.

It's indefensible. The rest may be up to taste and opinion, but the execution is indefensible.

It's going down alongside this:

We know these people have read the comics, but these don't feel like things that come from even the most basic understanding of the characters.

Pretty much this.