Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Tiger View Post
    A huge sales success and a product of the times?

Yeah, well:

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Tiger View Post
    A huge sales success and a product of the times?
    oh yeah, context from the time period is important is as important as the plot’s. batman should be the last hero to pick up a gun according to the modern mythos but he’s pretty damn gun crazy at times.

Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    oh yeah, context from the time period is important is as important as the plot’s.
    The context was speculation. Wasn't really a story issue so much as just plastering the same "edgy" ideas everywhere without rhyme or reason. The context is a business one.

batman should be the last hero to pick up a gun according to the modern mythos but he’s pretty damn gun crazy at times.
    When has Batman used a gun since the 1940s, other than Year Two?

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    I've seen the suggestion (don't know if it's really based on anything in the story really, but it could fit even if it isn't) that Mephisto was afraid of Peter and MJ's daughter for some reason (prophecy nonsense, I don't know). So, the idea that Mephisto is able to do some horrible thing in the future that he couldn't have done with Not-Mayday around could be written in as a consequence. There really does need to be a consequence. It really is kind of disgusting on a basic moral level that a mainstream superhero comic has their virtuous flagship character cut a deal with the Devil.

It's also a better motivation for Mephisto to offer his deal than simply being an all-powerful creepy weirdo.
    i can agree with mephisto’s motivation being fleshed out into some sort of grand scheme, could be cool. listen up marvel- EVENT.

as for consequence, peter has lost the love of his life. that’s hefty as hell.

The context was speculation. Wasn't really a story issue so much as just plastering the same "edgy" ideas everywhere without rhyme or reason. The context is a business one.
    almost impossible to disentangle, especially in super hero comics.

When has Batman used a gun since the 1940s, other than Year Two?
    well, you’re the one making the post 1940s distinction, not me (though reading back i can see how ambiguous what i wrote was), but here’s a fun link:
    http://toybox.io9.com/7-times-batman...ule-1634040693

i’d add DKR to this. rubber bullets are still bullets.
    Last edited by boots; 02-22-2015 at 07:12 PM.

well, you’re the one making the post 1940s distinction, not me (though reading back i can see how ambiguous what i wrote was), but here’s a fun link:

So, basically Final Crisis. Which I haven't read, so I can't comment on.

Good Lord, that animated one is wearing Bermuda shorts and firing a gun??? What the hell's going on there?

1940s is a fair distinction. He used guns for maybe the first year of publication. For a 75 year old character, that's an eyeblink.

DKR shouldn't count, since it's an alternate reality. Most of those other ones are from shows or movies, which shouldn't count. Year Two...was that canon? If it was, it was stupid.
    I liked him using the gun in Final Crisis, but that might just be me. The idea of Batman only using a gun if the whole of EXISTENCE depended on it appealed to me.
    Favorite characters: Cyclops, Emma Frost, Ozymandias, The Riddler, Hellboy, Renee Montoya.

Good Lord, that animated one is wearing Bermuda shorts and firing a gun??? What the hell's going on there?
    sign of the times?

1940s is a fair distinction. He used guns for maybe the first year of publication. For a 75 year old character, that's an eyeblink.
    yeah, just making a point that context matters. we’re not disagreeing here.

Quote Originally Posted by TheObsessor View Post
    DKR shouldn't count, since it's an alternate reality. Most of those other ones are from shows or movies, which shouldn't count. Year Two...was that canon? If it was, it was stupid.
    I liked him using the gun in Final Crisis, but that might just be me. The idea of Batman only using a gun if the whole of EXISTENCE depended on it appealed to me.
    yeah, you’re not supposed to take every point on that list as relevant to the discussion at hand (i didn’t write that list, in case you were wondering). there are at least 2 examples in relatively modern continuity. dkr arguably counts because in essence, the character is still meant to reflect the same character (eg not a reality where bruce was raised by deathstroke etc).

yeah, you’re not supposed to take every point on that list as relevant to the discussion at hand (i didn’t write that list, in case you were wondering). there are at least 2 examples in relatively modern continuity. dkr arguably counts because in essence, the character is still meant to reflect the same character (eg not a reality where bruce was raised by deathstroke etc).
    Allstar Batman and Robin is canonically the early career of that universe's Batman, and that is very much not in character. xD
    Favorite characters: Cyclops, Emma Frost, Ozymandias, The Riddler, Hellboy, Renee Montoya.

Quote Originally Posted by TheObsessor View Post
    Allstar Batman and Robin is canonically the early career of that universe's Batman, and that is very much not in character. xD
    i don't really know what this means, but cool

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    Gwen Stacy character maybe, but wouldn't the exploits of Spider-Gwen negate that ?
    No because in the 50+ years of Spider-Man, Marvel thought it was ok to write a story where Peter's girlfriend cheated on him with one of his greatest enemies, got knocked up, decided not to tell him and kept the babies a secret.

Really the first thing would've been when they killed Baby May off in the Clone Saga, but since it's been retconned it's not that big of a deal. Marvel won't touch Sins Past with a 10ft pole.

With OMD, you can understand it for the creative reasons behind it even if you personally don't agree with that view.

Up there with Hank Pym hitting his wife, Peter Parker hitting his wife, Dr. Light raping Sue Dibny, and Kyle Rayner finding his girlfriend in a fridge. More of a black mark on the company that allowed it, in my opinion, than the character. Comic companies go a long way to make points, get people to notice and get cash. Its a business, what are you gonna do. I just enjoy the stories I enjoy and leave it there.

i don't really know what this means, but cool
    Allstar Batman and Robin takes place in the early days of the Dark Knight Returns universe.

It could be.

If the spider-marriage isn't restored, this is why something that's been a part of some great Spider-Man stories went away, whether or not you agree with the decision.

If Peter & MJ was reunited, this was part of a major roadblock that explains why Peter & MJ aren't married in some prominent stories (Unscheduled Stop, Spider Island, Superior Spider-Man.)

It's likely to be part of Spider-Man's larger narrative no matter what.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets