Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    They are. I don't know how to put this nicely but comics themselves are not why they bought Marvel. Comics are not a big income generator by any stretch of imagination and are only read by a small sliver of the public. Things like TV and movie adaptations? Toys and merchandise? Those are the big money makers and that's what Disney is interested in, not making Big Hero 6 comics.

They could care less if kids have any interest in reading the BH6 comic by Claremont.
    Wow, that last line is kind of harsh considering Claremont's history at Marvel and his work/creation of some of their most famous characters.

However, I do understand what you mean.

It just that I wish for some balancing karma in all of this and for Marvel to acknowledge the success this team has in the pages of their comics. Even if it isn't their original versions of the characters. Success should be shared by all. Is that so wrong to ask ?

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    For a short time about a year ago I did see a few Marvel comics at Toys R Us in a section with other reading materials near the Toy section they set aside for Marvel action figures. They had some sticker books, etc. mixed in there. Since Marvel discontinued their Marvel Adventures line I don't think any kids would even understand ongoing series like the Spiderverse or Hickman's Time Runs Out/Incursions major arc.
    Are you sure they were Marvel comic books and not kids magazines published by another company with Marvel characters?

Back in 2013, Marvel gave up on newsstand distribution here in the U.S.:
    http://www.comicsbeat.com/marvels-da...o-one-noticed/

Maybe if it was a regular Marvel comic book it was left over and never returned?

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderByte View Post
    You say this like they were making any in the first place.

It doesn't really say anything about marvel. Marvel didn't promote the film BECAUSE THEY DIDN'T FUCKING MAKE THE MOVIE.

DISNEY DID.

This is apparently a concept impossible for people to understand.
    BUT . . . Marvel DID reprint old Big Hero 6 comics AND feature the current version of the comic book team in Spider-Man's "Ends of the Earth" storyline as soon as the movie was first announced. Then . . . nothing.

That says alot about the Marvel/Disney relationship.

This is apparently something that some people forget.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    It just that I wish for some balancing karma in all of this and for Marvel to acknowledge the success this team has in the pages of their comics. Even if it isn't their original versions of the characters. Success should be shared by all. Is that so wrong to ask ?
    If the stock price stays high, the success is shared by all.

Okay, here's my best interpretation of what you're getting at. The Big Hero 6 movie is a huge success. That somehow means that Marvel publishing "deserves" to be printing new Big Hero 6 comics, even though Disney has made a business decision to go in different directions for the property's tie-ins and promotion.

So what you're really concerned about is ethics in interdepartmental merchandising. One step closer. #Marvelgate

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dog View Post
    If the stock price stays high, the success is shared by all.

Okay, here's my best interpretation of what you're getting at. The Big Hero 6 movie is a huge success. That somehow means that Marvel publishing "deserves" to be printing new Big Hero 6 comics, even though Disney has made a business decision to go in different directions for the property's tie-ins and promotion.

So what you're really concerned about is ethics in interdepartmental merchandising. One step closer. #Marvelgate
    That's exactly what I'm going for. Although you have to admit Marvel got bankrupt once in the late 90's, if that's what you mean by Marvelgate, right ?

BANNED

They are. I don't know how to put this nicely but comics themselves are not why they bought Marvel. Comics are not a big income generator by any stretch of imagination and are only read by a small sliver of the public. Things like TV and movie adaptations? Toys and merchandise? Those are the big money makers and that's what Disney is interested in, not making Big Hero 6 comics.

They could care less if kids have any interest in reading the BH6 comic by Claremont.
    Well they did read Claremont's take and saw a germ of a movie. idea. Its not like Disney threw darts at a wall littered with Marvel Universe Handbook entrees. So it would behoove Marvel to keep putting out interesting material--even if fanbases aren't that receptive to it.

Allowing creativity to flourish is good Business.
    Last edited by ExcelsiorPrime; 02-23-2015 at 02:12 PM.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Are you sure they were Marvel comic books and not kids magazines published by another company with Marvel characters?

Back in 2013, Marvel gave up on newsstand distribution here in the U.S.:
    http://www.comicsbeat.com/marvels-da...o-one-noticed/

Maybe if it was a regular Marvel comic book it was left over and never returned?
    That might have been. I don't remember the titles I saw there but they were not new and later they just sort of disappeared. I have seen that Marvel Magazine with the puzzles, etc there from time to time but not recently.

In fact the Toys R US Marvel section has now been combined into its own area of two aisles facing each other instead of back to back. Thee action figures used to be more scattered around. The Legends figures might be in one area whereas the Mashers might be in another.

Quote Originally Posted by ExcelsiorPrime View Post
    Well they did read Claremont's take and saw a germ of a movie. idea. Its not like Disney threw darts at a wall littered with Marvel Universe Handbook entrees. So it would behoove Marvel to keep putting out interesting material--even if fanbases aren't that receptive to it.

Allowing creativity to flourish is good Business.
    well said excelsior.

Mighty Member

Although you have to admit Marvel got bankrupt once in the late 90's, if that's what you mean by Marvelgate, right ?
    No, I mean sooner or later disgruntled fanboys are going to be threatening people in the comics industry because the medium transcended basements and they feel like their own, precious little thing is being taken away from them.

concern over big hero 6 relationship have already turned into worry over terrorist attacks. that was quicker than usual.

#marvelgate

Fans with no sense of boundaries have been threatening creators for years. The police got involved when someone threatened to kill Bendis' family over Avengers Disassembled.

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

Yet I wonder why is that ?

I mean what's the point of buying Marvel if Disney is not using it to the fullest.
    In regard to the promotion and asking them not to promote it, there may have an issue in regard to a few things, and this is only my speculation:

1. Marvel promoting BH6 could make older fans think that it's connected to the MCU which could be confusing to them that it's not the book that they saw.

2. Conflict of story telling in regard to how the characters were going to be used in parks and other attractions. Marvel characters are still under an agreement with Universal studios, so Disney can't use any characters that are "Marvel" in their parks. Marvel promoting it as a Marvel character means we can't get Hiro or Baymax in the Disney parks.

3. Confusion for the younger set as Marvel's BH6 is vastly different then Disney's BH6.

4. Fox issue. Because of the fact that a few characters in the story qualify as "Mutant", Sunfire and Samurai -which was why they weren't in the film in the first place, both companies probably thought that there would be lawyer calls to them if Marvel promoted a "Mutant" story, even though that was changed.

5. Pretty sure that one of the reasons why they were asked to not promote the film was because of the lack of material to sell with it.

As for the Manga, yes there was a reason why the Manga is being done outside of the states, mainly because of the fact that a younger audience is more easily reached there then here in the states where people have a dumb sense of "this is for man children" in regard to comics.

Also the whole thing with the spinners and comics, an easier way to deal with that would be for Marvel to put out a "Children's Magazine" sort of like the Old Disney adventures or like Shonen Jump where there are a number of stories that would be good for kids that Marvel has. Both past and present. Have two books in fact which would make it easier.

First one would be aimed at younger set: Kids 6 to 12 probably (give or take) this would have power pack, Marvel Adventures, Marvel Babbies, Spider girl, Ms. Marvel, etc. along with articles that connect to the Marvel Animated series, movies, or interviews with artist and writers. Have a "How to draw" feature for kids, fun stuff that would keep them busy.

Second one would be aimed at older set Teens mostly, this would have Ms. Marvel, Spider-girl, Miles, teen X book, Loki, YA, updated Cloak and Dagger, new version of Avengers academy, etc. Articles on the movies, Tv series, and interviews with cast, crew, artist and writers. Section for fashion would be interesting (How to get Andrew or Emma's look, Scarlett's hair style, Nick Fury's shades) and one on the games that are coming out as well as info about some of the more complex books (Hickman's Avengers).

This way the magazine can stay on the stand for a longer period then say a comic and...more importantly, parents would be more willing to buy it for their kids.

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kpop View Post
    BUT . . . Marvel DID reprint old Big Hero 6 comics AND feature the current version of the comic book team in Spider-Man's "Ends of the Earth" storyline as soon as the movie was first announced. Then . . . nothing.

That says alot about the Marvel/Disney relationship.

This is apparently something that some people forget.
    Big Hero 6 was mentioned in James Robinsons Invaders, and I do think that, if given a good pitch, Marvel probably will put out a new BH6 especially given that there are fans out there. Disney flourishes on fans, and given there are a lot of fans of Hiro and co I would not be surprised if we didn't get a series eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by AcesX1X View Post
    concern over big hero 6 relationship have already turned into worry over terrorist attacks. that was quicker than usual.

#marvelgate
    Quote Originally Posted by Dog View Post
    No, I mean sooner or later disgruntled fanboys are going to be threatening people in the comics industry because the medium transcended basements and they feel like their own, precious little thing is being taken away from them.
    Fans with no sense of boundaries have been threatening creators for years. The police got involved when someone threatened to kill Bendis' family over Avengers Disassembled.
    Oh for the love of peet! This is as bad as the guy in Japan that caused a huge problem with weird powders being sent around to different conventions because this one guy didn't like the writer of Kuroko no basketball, and apparently the idea of girls doing fan comics on the characters, according to some fans, was evil....so that spawned copy catting.

People, for gosh sakes, if it makes kids want to know more about Marvel comics this is not a bad thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael P View Post
    It's not Marvel's job to promote movies made by Walt Disney Studios.
    I had this backwards. The real point is, Disney doesn't *need* comics to promote their movies, from Marvel or anybody else.
    "It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"You're much stronger than you think you are." - Superman, on humankind

All-New, All-Different Marvel Checklist

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Michael P View Post
    I had this backwards. The real point is, Disney doesn't *need* comics to promote their movies, from Marvel or anybody else.
    And yet they brought Marvel to target the Boy demographics.