Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
    CBR got me like.. Maxpower00044's Avatar

Default BATMAN #39 Preview/Discussion

http://www.avclub.com/article/exclus...erate-a-215607

The guano is about to hit the fan.
    "The more 'realistic' superheroes become the less believable they are." - David Mazzucchelli

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Good preview. When Snyder is not messing with old pre-FP elements or Batman's origin or making for-certain radical changes (Joker immortality is not certain!), I can enjoy his work. Capullo helps it all work too.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 02-23-2015 at 11:29 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Always Rakzo

Glad people put it here.

Art looks great as usual but I'm not expecting much from the conclusion considering previous works.

Loving the story. Hating the concept. If that makes sense. As a reader I am loving every second of this arc but as a batman fan I am hating it at the same time. So unless this ends with batman proving the joker isnt really some eternal being and is nothing more than a man who is just out to see the world burn I am going to be sad. The joker is not meant to be super human or have mystical powers. He is just supposed to me a man. The complete opposite of batman but still a man.
    Pull List:
    DC: Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Action Comics, Detective Comics, Green Lanterns, The Flash, Aquaman, Titans, Justice League, HJATGL, Supergirl, Superwoman, DC Bombshells
    Marvel: CANCELLED (good luck with your seasonal approach and constant reboots... I'll miss the characters though)
    Zenescope: Grimm Fairy Tales

Quote Originally Posted by MikeMC005 View Post
    Loving the story. Hating the concept. If that makes sense. As a reader I am loving every second of this arc but as a batman fan I am hating it at the same time. So unless this ends with batman proving the joker isnt really some eternal being and is nothing more than a man who is just out to see the world burn I am going to be sad. The joker is not meant to be super human or have mystical powers. He is just supposed to me a man. The complete opposite of batman but still a man.
    I think Snyder would tell you he thinks The Joker is meant to be a bit of a mystery (is he or isn't he [insert some idea]?). So...what would you say to that counterpoint?

What if you don't end up knowing exactly whether Joker is a normal man or not? (or whether Lincoln is Bruce's brother, etc)

I quote the first sentence of an HP Lovecraft essay on Supernatural Horror in Literature: "The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown."

[I would be against clearly establishing Joker is immortal, FYI, but that just has not been done yet you know, it hasn't]
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 02-23-2015 at 02:09 PM.

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    What if you don't end up knowing exactly whether Joker is a normal man or not?
    I would be very happy with that outcome myself because it would allow for both views to be equally valid so some people can continue to view him as a normal man while others can view him as something beyond that if they wish. It also would just be a natural continuation of the idea that everything about Joker is a mystery, which I don't think is a bad thing at all.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Quote Originally Posted by JasonTodd428 View Post
    I would be very happy with that outcome myself because it would allow for both views to be equally valid so some people can continue to view him as a normal man while others can view him as something beyond that if they wish. It also would just be a natural continuation of the idea that everything about Joker is a mystery, which I don't think is a bad thing at all.
    And we see some posters wanting some in-story explanation about how Joker survives all of this or that...and Snyder may give those who can't suspend disbelief on Joker...an out to help them rationalize how he survives so much and is able to do this or that.

So I think Snyder has a lot of different motivations for all these new possibilities for Joker.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 02-23-2015 at 03:43 PM.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    And we see some posters wanting some explanation about how Joker survives all of this or that...and Snyder may give those who can't suspend disbelief on Joker...an out to help them rationalize how he survives so much.
    Having him being a spirit being could certainly be used as an out for those who need a rationalization for how he survives everything that he has up until now sure. For myself I don't need nor want anything overly definantive attached to him not even that but I do find the possibility that he could be a spirit an interesting addition to his overall mythos because it just adds to the mystery that surrounds him.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

if it's not really explained at then end of the arc, it won't really bother me. There is something surnatural about the way Joker should be long dead, but always escape death after all. Snyder's way of letting things uncertain most of the time is interesting.

CBR got me like.. Maxpower00044's Avatar

I love how this whole story stems from Joker's first appearence where he dies at the end of the story, but the creators felt he needed to stick around. He literally died, then came back to life! I think it will be left ambiguous, but, using that scene to create this scenario was great! Can't wait for tomorrow.
    "The more 'realistic' superheroes become the less believable they are." - David Mazzucchelli

Yes, I really like the ambiguity Snyder has added to The Joker. He writes strong Joker stories IMHO. I enjoyed Death of the Family a lot.

I'm not the biggest fan of his joker, but I really think this kind of ambiguity can work when it comes to the joker.

Astonishing Member

Holy cr@p. Did THAT just happen?

Well I had a big grin on my face from start to end, this could be Snyder's best arc yet. Hope he finishes the story strong.

Also props to Tynion IV, loved the backups.
    Favorites: Batman, Superman, All-New Wolverine, Deathstroke, Detective Comics, Green Lanterns, Doom Patrol

Really good story and I can't wait to see the finale.