Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    All-New Member

Default How is the Synder Batman doing in terms of interest?

I've been out of the loop for a while and I had to reregister because of the changes to the website. Anyway, I used to be an avid reader of Batman and read several Synder books including American Vampire.

I liked Batman Court of Owls (minus the ending and some scenes like how Batman punched out the Dick's exact tooth to prove his point.) But I started losing some interest after that. I know a lot of other books came out like the Zero Year and another series (I think), but I was wondering if I could get some general thoughts on how the series is doing? Has it gotten better?

Thanks.

Spectacular Member rhymeswithparc's Avatar

edit to delete
    Last edited by rhymeswithparc; 12-20-2023 at 09:35 AM.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dvader123 View Post
    I've been out of the loop for a while and I had to reregister because of the changes to the website. Anyway, I used to be an avid reader of Batman and read several Synder books including American Vampire.

I liked Batman Court of Owls (minus the ending and some scenes like how Batman punched out the Dick's exact tooth to prove his point.) But I started losing some interest after that. I know a lot of other books came out like the Zero Year and another series (I think), but I was wondering if I could get some general thoughts on how the series is doing? Has it gotten better?

Thanks.
    It's still in the top 10 list of comic sales as for how it's doing. I personally think the book continues to get better and endgame ties the entire run together, it's pretty cool.

Went downhill with Death of the Family then back up with Zero Year and now on fire with Endgame.

Inb4: I don't like it so it's overrated.
    Favorites: Batman, Superman, All-New Wolverine, Deathstroke, Detective Comics, Green Lanterns, Doom Patrol

Fantastic Member

minus the ending and some scenes like how Batman punched out the Dick's exact tooth to prove his point
    That infinitely stupid specter has been in the background of the entire run for me. And, really, it's an appropriate tone-setter.

I think it's generally gotten better (starting from near rock-bottom for me in the first two arcs) with Zero Year and Endgame, which, tonally and visually are interesting and bold. And I kind of dig the thematically self-referential qualities of the run. But how much of my current interest owes to the story just making bold plot point moves (which won't hold up past a first read for curiosity's sake) and Capullo and Fco's excellent visuals, I don't know. Snyder has a lot of writing ticks that are frustrating as all get-out, and they haven't gone away.

I guess the most I can say for it is that I like it enough to want it to be better, which is an improvement from earlier arcs, and, while often frustrating, at least a step up from being bland. Expect something that's at least idiosyncratic (which is nice), with moments of bold scripting interrupted constantly by moments of unbelievable, straight-faced stupidity.

It stays pretty much the same. If you lost interest after court of owls I doubt you'll find the stuff that comes later any better.

I dropped Batman after Zero Year. Even Capullo's great art couldn't keep me on the book any any longer.
    If you are not reading Lazarus, you should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Red_11 View Post
    It stays pretty much the same. If you lost interest after court of owls I doubt you'll find the stuff that comes later any better.

I dropped Batman after Zero Year. Even Capullo's great art couldn't keep me on the book any any longer.
    I dropped it two issues to the end of Zero Year. I know lots of people love it, but Snyder just isn't my favorite writer. I'm more of a DC guy so I half wish they'd trade him to Marvel for Jason Aaron.

Like DragonPiece said, the in-book continuity is pretty tight. The tone jumps drastically between arcs (which I for one, love). It's surely not my daddy's batman, but thats a major reason I've grown with these guys to the point where I'll blindly buy whatever they're putting out from now on. It's pretty obvious that like myself and many of you, Snyder loves Batman like only a lifetime fan can. CANNOT WAIT UNTILL JUNE!

Court of Owls was cool, then Death of the Family was meh and there were a few forgettable shorter arcs after that. Zero Year was good-great but it outstayed its welcome, and Endgame has been good so far. I'd say it's worth following overall.
    Formerly known as YMCMB

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by the green death View Post
    I dropped it two issues to the end of Zero Year. I know lots of people love it, but Snyder just isn't my favorite writer. I'm more of a DC guy so I half wish they'd trade him to Marvel for Jason Aaron.
    Yeah...no.

Incredible Member

Snyder Batman is an idiot (still much better than Nolan Batman) since the start of the New 52. Snyder storylines are good but his Batman leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Hope Snyder correct that by this summer.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

I've been slowly losing interest in it as time has passed especially since the offerings coming out of the Bat office lately have been more to my liking. That plus the fact that I'm more interested in other characters in the Batverse than in the big guy himself probably accounts for most of my loss in interest in Snyder's Batman recently.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

How is it doing in terms of interest?

Killing it.

Mine anyway.

Hopefully robobat will be fun, but I'm counting the days til issue 50.
    Blah! Blah! Blah! Blah! Blah!

Generic condescending passive aggressive elitist statement.

I love what Synder has done with Zero Year. I found the Red Hood character really interesting and his Riddler arc was very well done (minus the sideburns).