Super Moderator

Default “Jem and the Holograms'" Takes Center Stage With IDW Reboot

Writer Kelly Thompson talks rebooting "Jem," the influence of the show's strong women on a generation of girls and the upcoming film while sharing exclusive art.

Full article here.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by CBR News View Post
    Writer Kelly Thompson talks rebooting "Jem," the influence of the show's strong women on a generation of girls and the upcoming film while sharing exclusive art.

Full article here.
    I think that Jem should have retained its 1980's charm instead of being altered to reflect a new generation. The tried that with the Thundercats and He-Man, only to have them fall flat on their faces. They also tried that with G.I. Joe as well in the 1990s and the 2000's until they finally realized that people want the respective series to retain the appearance that was first introduced. Never try to change what was good about the series, which was the art work...

Spectacular Member Kelly Thompson's Avatar

Those interested can check out a 4-page preview of the first issue here:

http://www.idwpublishing.com/jem-and...-free-preview/

Oh, and a great (bigger) look at the page 2-3 DPS here:

http://www.idwpublishing.com/jem-and...ctoria-robado/

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    I think that Jem should have retained its 1980's charm instead of being altered to reflect a new generation. The tried that with the Thundercats and He-Man, only to have them fall flat on their faces. They also tried that with G.I. Joe as well in the 1990s and the 2000's until they finally realized that people want the respective series to retain the appearance that was first introduced. Never try to change what was good about the series, which was the art work...
    I see your point, but JEM is about fashion and music, which is always trending. So the change is more applicable than GIJOE or HE-MAN.

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

So after reading this I'm actually excited, and the thing that was best about the series wasn't the art work it was the story lines and the characters. The fact that the girls were all very independent, strong and understanding was really awesome, especially to a young girl growing up in that era. Throw in the fact that there was a diverse cast and that the people involved were not just a bunch of teens but adults with adult concerns. Christy Marx's did an amazing job with the story and ideas during the 80s and I really want this series to get a reboot from Hasbro. (Shame the Hub isn't around now.) The important factor about Jem is that it focuses on family, music and coming to terms with life.

My only thing is that I really wish they had kept the whole business end in Jerrica's story, it would be nice to see her being not only a great song writer but someone that also is good at managing that sort of life. I also hope they keep the Starlight Foundation and her father's death.

BANNED

It's going to be interesting to see 80's Jem viewed in the modern day world of the 21st century. Plus the art is good to look at too.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Thompson View Post

Eee! Love the designs for the girls! They look great. I'm assuming that they have different looks at home? Also are we going to get to see Carmen in the near future? Also Any chance to have Riot come in as a villain and rival for Rio later? Given that he "Discovered this band called Nirvana" it would be amusing to see how to update someone that into himself. Oh and will the girls be called by their real names? Like Pizzazz called Phyillis?

https://soundcloud.com/chris-sunday/...lograms-master the only soundtrack you need was on mt pull list instantly when it was annonced

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by cray_ws View Post
    I see your point, but JEM is about fashion and music, which is always trending. So the change is more applicable than GIJOE or HE-MAN.
    I was not talking about the fashion and music. I was referring to their figure designs(cartoony) as opposed to how they looked as realistic characters that the 1980's was known for.

This is the format that I miss the most as it actually looked like a live action TV show.

Bear in mind that the realistic look doesn't always translate to flash very well as Hasbro has been making most of it's own shows rather then relying on sunbow (which is a division of Toei) who made the girls very much like they do other anime series.

The new design is more for fans of newer shows and various sizes of the girls and races. Aja and Mary being thicker builds, Kimber having a smaller bust, Jetta being -hopefully- british and black, and having Carmen in there later (I hope) allows to expand on how the girls will appear to new fans as well as old ones. This is how the artist draws, styles may change over the course of the book.

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    I was not talking about the fashion and music. I was referring to their figure designs(cartoony) as opposed to how they looked as realistic characters that the 1980's was known for.

This is the format that I miss the most as it actually looked like a live action TV show.
    Your criticism is a bit of irony, you're complaining that a cartoon from the 80' looks too cartoony. The pictures you shown are not from cartoon, but rather packaging designs. Rest assured that this new JEM book will deliver some variant covers that pay homage to those images you posted. But the book interior art is every bit as respectful by being animated-style.

The artwork looks simply gorgeous! I'm very excited about this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Thompson View Post

Best of luck!! Can't wait to see what you do with my favourite character, the magical Stormer. This song always reminds me of her:

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by cray_ws View Post
    Your criticism is a bit of irony, you're complaining that a cartoon from the 80' looks too cartoony. The pictures you shown are not from cartoon, but rather packaging designs. Rest assured that this new JEM book will deliver some variant covers that pay homage to those images you posted. But the book interior art is every bit as respectful by being animated-style.
    Sorry for not clarifying. I was referring to the comic looking too cartoony as well most toy based cartoons these days as opposed to the hybrid American style(that is combined with the animated Japanese style) of the 1980's, which they do not work on anymore. The packaging designs was just to provide a contrast to the new comic book designs.