Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by anyajenkins View Post
    *sigh* he was turned evil to prop up Hope... *sigh again* poor bishop...
    Wish I could say i was surprised...but NOPE.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Justice View Post
    Because it still remains a pressing modern day issue.
    But they're all set in civil rights or before . They should probably move past that

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    But they're all set in civil rights or before . They should probably move past that
    That's like saying that Capt America should move past his WW2 roots.

If someone has thinks they have an interesting story to tell set during the Holocaust or Civil War, they should feel free to tell it. I'm not sure we should be telling folks to "move past it."

Quote Originally Posted by rdman View Post
    How about a black super mutant heterosexual male who is part of the X-Men and Avengers. Genesis/Apocalypse is from North Africa, could he be Subsaharan African or a black North African?
    Why does his sexuality matter???

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    That's like saying that Capt America should move past his WW2 roots.

If someone has thinks they have an interesting story to tell set during the Holocaust or Civil War, they should feel free to tell it. I'm not sure we should be telling folks to "move past it."
    Uh, you're comparing one character to characters created separately.

At least, I hope you don't mean that there is any sort of demand to throw these different black characters into different parts of the American civil rights movement. as if these things are very successful or enlightening.

As a black comic fan I personally want something new.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Uh, you're comparing one character to characters created separately.

At least, I hope you don't mean that there is any sort of demand to throw these different black characters into different parts of the American civil rights movement. as if these things are very successful or enlightening.

As a black comic fan I personally want something new.
    The characters that were discussed, Icon, BM, etc...the time period was/is part of their back story just like WW2 is part of Capt America's back story. Even though the characters are appearing in tales that take part in contemporary times, that background informs their personalities.

I brought up the Holocaust, and Civil War ( I could have brought up the Middle Passage or the Trail of Tears or the Russian Purges) because these are time periods that are constantly visited in fiction. Some stories are good and some done poorly, but my first reaction to someone doing a movie or comic that touches on these issues wouldn't be that the creators should just get over it.

Having said that, I do agree that we could be getting a greater variety minority heroes from mainstream comics.