Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Brought to you by CarlsJr SickAlice's Avatar

A symbol of responsibility, righteousness and inspiration proper for youth.
    I make love, you make me sick.

Several adjectives that came to my mind: moral, hard-working, compassionate, intelligent, gifted

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Tiger View Post
    I really reject Slott's premise. Spider-Man is a highly dynamic character who exists in a visual medium. Why would I describe him when I could just hand someone a comic book? Does the word "agile" come anywhere close to how McFarlane or Bagley or Romita drew him? Does "determined" even begin to approximate Ditko's depiction of Spider-Man lifting all that machinery in "The Final Chapter"? If you're decribing Spider-Man with words you're doing it wrong. You want to know what Peter Parker is like? Take a look at him.
    Fair enough.

Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

While the word "white" isn't high on my descriptive list, Peter Parker IS white.

I hate the crap when they take a previously-white-character and introduce them as a different race. Are writers so lame and lazy they can't be bothered to create a brand-new character for that role? Or is it that "Oh, long time fans don't want new characters, so we have to take old white characters and change their sex and /or skin color so people will accept them"?

That just offends an older reader like me . . . be creative and create brand-new characters that aren't just stealing a name and any sort of past legacy.

NOTE: I wouldn't necessarily object to a non-white Spider-Man, but they shouldn't call the guy "Peter Parker". Either acknowledge that Peter Parker had previously existed and this is a NEW Spider-Man, or if they're going to have a non-Caucasian Peter Parker, clearly set the story on an alternate-Earth where other characters besides just Peter are of a different race and / or gender.
    Last edited by MajorHoy; 02-24-2015 at 01:25 PM.

BANNED

Given that it'd be in the MCU or cinema in general, it already is in a sort of alternate universe.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by cyberhubbs View Post
    Given that it'd be in the MCU or cinema in general, it already is in a sort of alternate universe.
    yeah but we are mostly comfortable with peter being right. doesn't feel right when they cast a black actor playing peter. i hope that doesn't happen to bullseye as well because lately we're mostly getting black actors playing white characters like jimmy olsen, ben urich, johnny storm, and electro and i hope things don't get too bad because i have been waiting for their first on screen appearances done right and i do want Dylan o'brien playing spiderman.

is it also neccsary to kill of peter to bring in miules. can't they think of another way of bringing in miles?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by marvelguy25 View Post
    yeah but we are mostly comfortable with peter being right. doesn't feel right when they cast a black actor playing peter. i hope that doesn't happen to bullseye as well because lately we're mostly getting black actors playing white characters like jimmy olsen, ben urich, johnny storm, and electro and i hope things don't get too bad because i have been waiting for their first on screen appearances done right and i do want Dylan o'brien playing spiderman.

is it also neccsary to kill of peter to bring in miules. can't they think of another way of bringing in miles?
    I didn't realize they already had cast anyone in the role. News to me.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    ... be creative and create brand-new characters that aren't just stealing a name and any sort of past legacy.
    In an ideal world, sure. It's always better when a new character is their own thing and not Existing Character (II).

That said, in the current marketplace, it's looking more and more like legacy is the most effective way to introduce a new character. So, if we want a more diverse slate of characters (and we do), that's the way to do it.
    Last edited by Expletive Deleted; 02-24-2015 at 02:03 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by cyberhubbs View Post
    I didn't realize they already had cast anyone in the role. News to me.
    well it's a rumor. and i'm hoping this rumor stays a rumor because i'm afraid marvel would start to eat up at the black peter request from people. seriously, Dylan o'brien has to be casted. i love to see him as the wall crawler

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    Indomitable
    Guilt-ridden
    Empathetic
    Smart
    Goofy
    Self-deprecating

Co-Signed,

oldschool

Quote Originally Posted by Expletive Deleted View Post
    In an ideal world, sure. It's always better when a new character is their own thing and not Existing Character (II).

That said, in the current marketplace, it's looking more and more like legacy is the most effective way to introduce a new character. So, if we want a more diverse slate of characters (and we do), that's the way to do it.
    By "legacy", I'd prefer it being an offspring or another relative of the originally white character, not the supposedly same guy but with a different color skin.

heroic
    responsible
    good
    clever
    handy
    nerd
    comedian
    loyal
    agile
    strong

Spectacular Member rhymeswithparc's Avatar

Slott's argument makes zero sense; I can't imagine how so many people entertain this. Name me a single character where you would use race to describe their personality; especially one who's not white. Also mention why because those responses sound the best when said today. What he's basically pointing out is that Peter has white privilege because his race doesn't connote anything; well done.

EDIT: What's important about him is that he's altruistic and he's smart; and funny.
    Last edited by rhymeswithparc; 02-24-2015 at 07:05 PM.

funny how a thread can specifically ask for something and people still do their utmost to hijack it. for me, it's his tragi-comedy and that he wasn't born a hero - that despite the fact that there are smarter, stronger, more skilled, more powerful allies and enemies, he is still the greatest super hero in the marvel universe.

Title reminded me of this moment
    part1.jpg
    part2.jpg