Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    DC Comics Historian

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    The next two paragraphs of that interview:

Sounds more like the next era of Snyder's Batman has nothing to do with Convergence but everything to do with the ending of Endgame. It also sounds like nothing gets erased (by Convergence) or starts over at all.

What does this mean? What status quo has not been done in 75 years? I don't know but it could be anything from Batman leaving Gotham, his identity being exposed or him becoming a murderous vigilante who finally sees that the justice system has failed. (edit: the Robin revamp might be a hint.) I really don't know but I would be shocked if it has anything to do with Convergence.
    I am not saying it has anything to do with Convergence itself. I am more or less saying whatever is coming in June may be a direct consequence of Convergence in the same way that Batman in the New 52 though largely unchanged is more or less a direct consequence of Flashpoint.

I certainly don't see a full reboot happening. I have heard that on the other side of convergence DC will be focusing more on storytelling than continuity. It would be nice, and I do see it as possible, that Doyle will use convergence as an excuse to have his writers utterly ignore the idea of a five year timeline. Then we wouldn't have to deal with dumb questions like "four Robins in five years?!"

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by theonetruebatman View Post
    I am not saying it has anything to do with Convergence itself. I am more or less saying whatever is coming in June may be a direct consequence of Convergence in the same way that Batman in the New 52 though largely unchanged is more or less a direct consequence of Flashpoint.
    Well hopefully I do not come across as arguing if we actually have the same opinion, but it seems you feel the Convergence will affect the DCU in some way that provides the reason or excuse for some change. I do not think Convergence has anything to do with it. The exact timing may have been deliberate but from the way he was speaking in that interview two things are clear:

1) he had reached the end of his grand Batman story and was wondering how long he could carry on the title, and
    2) numerous times before this he had wanted to change direction with his Batman stories.

While I too believe something will be different about Snyder's Batman after Convergence, I do not think it will be a reboot or erase anything, and I think it would happen just the same if Convergence was never an idea. Whatever happens is going to be a logical and narrative continuation of everything Snyder has been doing, free of outside influence, except maybe Mark Doyle is the catalyst for Snyder finally going wherever he is going.

Agreed. It seemed to me that Mike Marts hampered ideas of both Snyder AND Morrison before him.

Here you go for that source. I kind of figured it was common knowledge and a source wouldn't be needed. My mistake.

http://www.newsarama.com/23362-post-...of-batman.html

"....I know these characters have these huge legacies, but you have to write them like you made them up. Your versions of them are yours. And for me, this really is the last time they fight. I don't want to say "never," because I don't want to be that guy who comes back and does something he said he'd never do. But I don't foresee myself ever writing the Joker and Batman together again as the Batman and Joker.
    All this suggests is that Snyder won't write them as enemies anymore. Like Joker decides to give up crime and opens a food truck with Condiment King.

Astonishing Member

I just figure with Convergence being what is know as a "Band-aid" event similar to what Zero Hour was they might streamline everything a little better when it comes to some of the lingering questions and that will in turn possibly erase some of the things we know about the character.
    I hope this is not so. Zero Hour was a total waste of time and effort. We don't need another Zero Hour. SIGH.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vil_Dee View Post
    All this suggests is that Snyder won't write them as enemies anymore.
    Yes indeed.

Sounds more like the next era of Snyder's Batman has nothing to do with Convergence but everything to do with the ending of Endgame. It also sounds like nothing gets erased (by Convergence) or starts over at all.
    Yes, I think it's an Endgame thing. Wouldn't be too surprised if Snyder "kills" unkillable Joker and plays with various reactions by Batman and etc. Maybe Robin is off globetrotting while Batman faces all these issues/drama that arise from Endgame's end.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 02-24-2015 at 01:25 PM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Quote Originally Posted by Vil_Dee View Post
    All this suggests is that Snyder won't write them as enemies anymore. Like Joker decides to give up crime and opens a food truck with Condiment King.
    Id pay to read that story. I can see it now. His food truck will be called the Laughing Clown and specialize in carnival type food and he will be batman's street level informant. That arc basically writes itself. Money in the bank.
    Pull List:
    DC: Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Action Comics, Detective Comics, Green Lanterns, The Flash, Aquaman, Titans, Justice League, HJATGL, Supergirl, Superwoman, DC Bombshells
    Marvel: CANCELLED (good luck with your seasonal approach and constant reboots... I'll miss the characters though)
    Zenescope: Grimm Fairy Tales

Astonishing Member

perhaps batman is reset to the golden age with regards to killing?

Here you go for that source. I kind of figured it was common knowledge and a source wouldn't be needed. My mistake.

http://www.newsarama.com/23362-post-...of-batman.html

"....I know these characters have these huge legacies, but you have to write them like you made them up. Your versions of them are yours. And for me, this really is the last time they fight. I don't want to say "never," because I don't want to be that guy who comes back and does something he said he'd never do. But I don't foresee myself ever writing the Joker and Batman together again as the Batman and Joker.

I want this to be, like, there's nothing off limits to use, there's nothing off limits they can do to each other, there's nothing off limits in terms of the stakes of the story. That's it."

I love how people can be condescending with their opinions or things like your little "translation" when you really havent kept up with the interviews and what not. Am I the only one who has read things Snyder says? Your "translation" really contradicts what he is saying there. He even told all the other writers of the bat-books that if they wanted to get in on ENDGAME now was the time to do it because they were putting Mr. J away for quite some time.

But he also says this here which is the biggest evidence for why I think their may be a revamp.

"So a lot of the things, like the Court of Owls and the villains — all the stuff coming into the story soon too — was a way to say goodbye to a lot of things I got to write, and I made up, or that I loved that other people made up.....So "Endgame" really is a goodbye and a hello. It really is sort of like saying goodbye to a lot of things that — really, everything we've done on Batman and all of that."

Why would he say something like that? I am not for sure saying it will happen. I more or less just wanted to have a conversation about it. I think there is a chance he will kill of the Joker at the end of his story only for Convergence to conveniently retcon it. And if that were to happen I would totally be okay with it. I would say there is definitely adequate evidence for it to possibly happen.
    none of what your quoting him as saying implies what your saying it implies. sometimes it seems like reading comprehension is a dead art.
    Last edited by magicallypuzzled; 02-24-2015 at 06:03 PM.

DC Comics Historian

Quote Originally Posted by magicallypuzzled View Post
    none of what your quoting him as saying implies what your saying it implies. sometimes it seems like reading comprehension is a dead art.

Either get in the game or do us all a favor and move along. Why don't you share with us your decoder ring on how to comprehend the very definition of intentionally vague? However before that happens if you just want to be a troll let me tell you where you can stick it first.

Even better yet, tell us how it DOESN'T or at the very least COULDN'T imply what I say it might imply. And while you're at it. Go for the gold and tell us just what it DOES imply. Or can you not do that? Because I'm sure if you could you would have done so by now.

I'm all for Joker staying close, but not being an enemy for a while, it could be very funny. Maybe the batman title will become Batman and Joker ^^