Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default Batman Arkham Knight to be M-RATED,

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/02/...ght-is-rated-m

Whoa. A M rated Batman story. Did not expect that. Rocksteady is known to push the limits but this....wow! And WB was ok with it too! Funnily though it's not because of nudity or swearing, which makes me curious to see what has really earned it the M rating!

Quote Originally Posted by Rahul View Post

Whoa. A M rated Batman story. Did not expect that. Rocksteady is known to push the limits but this....wow! And WB was ok with it too! Funnily though it's not because of nudity or swearing, which makes me curious to see what has really earned it the M rating!
    If I had to hazard a guess, I'd think a mix of substance abuse and intense violence. I could totally see the Arkham Bats popping someone's bone out a la Watchmen for a takedown.
    Batgirl - ...BOP - Batman - 'Tec - Nightwing - Supergirl - Titans - Wonder Woman

I'm surprised WB/DC were okay with it being M rated. Batman has never been like Wolverine, Punisher or Deadpool where something like that would be just another Tuesday. Batman stories are usually really restrained when it comes to the violence.

Wait, really? Restrained?

Not for the last few years.

He doesn't maim them the way Wolverine etc do, but readily dishes out compound fractures, free-falling teeth, concussions, deep batarang-induced cuts, etc. Sure, he has various funds and insurance programmes in place to 'help' these people get treatment, but he definitely isn't all the 'restrained'.

None of that is M rated violent imo
    Batman is a guy who is going to beat a criminal up but he's not going to over the top cut someone's arm off or stab them in the eye

Now his villains yeah I can totally buy some of them being that violent but otherwise I'm just not seeing his story being so edgy.

Funnily though it's not because of nudity or swearing, which makes me curious to see what has really earned it the M rating!
    I don't see anything in the article that gives any indication as to why the M rating was applied.

Maybe it is just language.

I'm happy to read this anyway:

"I'm not blind to the fact that [the M rating] does mean some fans will miss out... I don't want to be oblivious to that fact. It would have been wrong to water down the game and deliver a story we didn't believe in to keep the game 'mass market' or enable it for more people. We feel that's the wrong way to go about it. We said we love the story and we don't want to jepoardize that."
    Blah! Blah! Blah! Blah! Blah!

Generic condescending passive aggressive elitist statement.

An M-rated Batman game makes about as much sense as an R-rated Batman movie.

It's not like mature stories can't sometimes be told with the character, but to limit the potential audience on something being released on such a large scale seems really counter-intuitive.

Incredible Member

So no Harley Quinn's boobies ?

People need to understand that the M rating is probably not that big of a deal and I'm willing to bet a lot of money that when the game comes out people will ask"what was the reason for the M rating?" . I'm sure there will be a higher level of violence and a bit more cursing but I doubt its anything significant . I don't think the M rating means he's going to be Wolverine or The Punisher by any means, just that there's something there that pushes it to an M rating. Ratings are odd and rather inconsistent remember that.

^I kinda agree.

All it takes is one cut scene with a little blood to achieve the M rating.

It does seem odd to limit the sales scope for the game for the sake of something that has been successfully avoided in the past.

I'm curious what puts it in this rating category.

Hopefully something significantly cool.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkKnightReturns View Post
    So no Harley Quinn's boobies ?
    Last edited by ispacehead; 02-24-2015 at 02:17 PM.

Incredible Member CrazyOldHermit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Tiger View Post
    An M-rated Batman game makes about as much sense as an R-rated Batman movie.

It's not like mature stories can't sometimes be told with the character, but to limit the potential audience on something being released on such a large scale seems really counter-intuitive.
    The ESRB is stupidly fickle and ESRB ratings don't mean much anything. An M rated Batman game certainly isn't the same as an R rated Batman movie. Skyrim got an M rating, would it be an R movie? I doubt it. Game ratings aren't as strongly enforced and kids playing M games is common, especially when it pertains to games restricted for violence.
    Miller was right.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyOldHermit View Post
    The ESRB is stupidly fickle and ESRB ratings don't mean much anything. An M rated Batman game certainly isn't the same as an R rated Batman movie. Skyrim got an M rating, would it be an R movie? I doubt it. Game ratings aren't as strongly enforced and kids playing M games is common, especially when it pertains to games restricted for violence.
    Remember, we're fans of comics and shouldn't forget the awesome "comics code" that was implemented and how silly that was lol

where they filmed that one movie and half of that other one

Maybe its some real messed up Scarecrow nightmare sequences that make Asylum's look like Sesame Street in comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilden B. Lade View Post
    Maybe its some real messed up Scarecrow nightmare sequences that make Asylum's look like Sesame Street in comparison.
    Pretty good guess in my estimation.

Fantastic Member

If I've never played the Batman video game and not followed the previous series, would I be completely lost if I picked up a copy of Batman: Arkham Knight #1 ?