View Poll Results: What's the best 616 Spider-Man comic since Kraven's Last Hunt?

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • Venom (Amazing Spider-Man #300)

4 5.71%
  • The Harry Osborn Saga (Spectacular Spider-Man #178-190, 199-200)

8 11.43%
  • The Gift (Amazing Spider-Man #400)

1 1.43%
  • Coming Home (Amazing Spider-Man Volume 2 #30-35, 37, 38)

7 10.00%
  • One Small Break (Peter Parker Spider-Man #30-32)

1 1.43%
  • Doomed Affairs (Amazing Spider-Man Volume 2 #50)

3 4.29%
  • Spider-Man Blue

4 5.71%
  • Down Among the Dead Men (Marvel Knights Spider-Man #1-12)

5 7.14%
  • Spider-Man/ Human Torch: I'm With Stupid

2 2.86%
  • To Have and to Hold (Sensational Spider-Man Annual #1)

8 11.43%
  • Unscheduled Stop (Amazing Spider-Man #578-579)

2 2.86%
  • No One Dies (Amazing Spider-Man #655-656)

5 7.14%
  • Spider Island (Amazing Spider-Man #666-673)

2 2.86%
  • Superior Spider-Man (Amazing Spider-Man #698-700, Superior Spider-Man #1-31)

15 21.43%
  • Other (Please Specify)

3 4.29%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Lots of good choices, and I almost went with Spider-Island, but Superior just felt like the right choice.

-Pav, who isn't sure why exactly...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Incredible Member

Went with Superior, although my mind was blown at an early age by Amz 300 and the full intro to Venom. I'm pretty sure there was a high probability of leaving that suit/symbiote in limbo prior to that point.

But Superior blew my mind as an adult. Imagine if you read that story the way it was intended and not been spoiled of the punchline outcome. There's no way you could've NOT been shocked/surprised! Even with allowing myself to be spoiled, I still didn't believe it until I had the issue in hand, thinking the spoil was just a red herring.

Well played, Mr. Slott!

I haven't read all of them so I can't really say.
    But why aren't the following stories on your list:
    Grim Hunt - The Amazing Spider-Man #634-637 + Web of Spider-Man #7 + Grim Hunt Prologue + Spider-Man Origin Of The Hunter
    Kraven's First Hunt - The Amazing Spider-Man #663-667
    Death of Spider-Man - Ultimate Spider-Man #156-160

BANNED

I'll go with the Eisner-nominated "To Have and to Hold".

Not only does it respect and honor prior continuity and characterization, it strengthens the bonds between husband and wife, shows how, no matter what, you stand by the people you care about and never let people who believe they have power have any kind of hold over you. It's about standing up to bullies and believing in your partner and your love for one another...together or not at all.

Where is "Happy Birthday" on this list? That's another good one, it gives you a great insight into Peter's determination, and while it gives him several glimpses into a bleak future and an opportunity to see into his past, he is unswayed by what he experiences and remains resolute about his power and responsibility, culminating in a spirited heart-to-heart with Uncle Ben and well wishes from his best friend and partner MJ.

Superior is massively overrated. I'm glad CBR took it to task lately calling it a pointless and mean-spirited story.

How can anyone call it the best Spider-Man story when it's not even about Peter Parker for the majority of it?

I could say the same thing about Kraven's Last Hunt, it's all about someone else posing as Spider-Man while Peter's in the grave for a fortnight. It's more a tour de force for the freshly married Mary Jane, where as Superior does everything it can to diminish the likability of her character. Superior also makes a monkey out of virtually everyone who could have blown the lid on Ock, and, worst of all, doesn't even give Peter a well-earned victory over the true antagonist, he has to settle for beating the "B" villain of the story. His victory is handed to him because Ock has a crush on a dwarf.

Quote Originally Posted by wleakr View Post
    But Superior blew my mind as an adult. Imagine if you read that story the way it was intended and not been spoiled of the punchline outcome. There's no way you could've NOT been shocked/surprised!
    You'd be surprised at just how little I was actually.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 10-01-2017 at 02:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jb681131 View Post
    I haven't read all of them so I can't really say.
    But why aren't the following stories on your list:
    Grim Hunt - The Amazing Spider-Man #634-637 + Web of Spider-Man #7 + Grim Hunt Prologue + Spider-Man Origin Of The Hunter
    Kraven's First Hunt - The Amazing Spider-Man #663-667
    Death of Spider-Man - Ultimate Spider-Man #156-160
    There's a limited number of spots to cover 25+ years of comics.

Plus, Death of Spider-man isn't about the 616 Spider-Man.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Plus, Death of Spider-man isn't about the 616 Spider-Man.
    In a snowball manner, Death of Spider-Man is what kicked off Miles' journey, which in itself affected the 616 Peter Parker

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

I voted Superior Spider-Man. One of the best Spider-Man stories ever. Probably top 3 in my list. Just fantastic
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Whovian View Post
    I voted Superior Spider-Man. One of the best Spider-Man stories ever. Probably top 3 in my list. Just fantastic
    Why? It's a mean-spirited story which throws every iconic character under the bus. It's also barely about Peter Parker.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Why? It's a mean-spirited story which throws every iconic character under the bus. It's also barely about Peter Parker.
    Your view is not the only view.

I see nothing "mean-spirited" about the story, and find that idea itself pretty silly. Saying it throws "everything iconic character under the bus" is hyperbole. And thematically, the whole point of the story is to highlight what makes Peter Parker special by showing us why Ock doesn't quite cut it.

-Pav, who laughs at the idea of a mean-spirited Dan Slott trying to destroy Spidey comics one issue at a time...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

I went with the Harry Osborn saga but didn't realize Spider-Mam Blue was in the list until after I voted, dammit. I would have gone with Blue, but I love them both

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    It's the Internet; we can't have rational thinking here!

I see nothing "mean-spirited" about the story, and find that idea itself pretty silly.
    I don't know, as a long-time fan of the Peter Parker character, I found it to be a metaphorical kick in the teeth. However, I didn't like the execution very much in the first place (so I never felt that the detour was ever worth it) and feel that that a non-Peter Parker Spider-Man misses the point of the Spider-Man character in the first place, but that is subjective. I will also concede that the initial presentation that the Superior status quo would be long-term rather than a relatively brief detour didn't help me make peace with it.

Saying it throws "everything iconic character under the bus" is hyperbole.
    It's the Internet, meaning that hyperbole is the first language. And we're fans on the Internet, meaning that hyperbole is the only language we speak!

Seriously, from what I read of it, I didn't like Slott's characterizations (can I say it? He writes an awful awful Doc Ock), however, I've never much liked his general characterizations, so I'm not sure how much of a fault that is the story itself. The idea that it took people so long to realize Spider-Man was not Spider-Man also doesn't really cut it when Kraven's Last Hunt had a similar setup and no one was fooled for an instant, but I think that that is a suspension of disbelief that your acceptance of the story affects how well you accept that contrivance (I didn't accept the story, so I could not suspend disbelief). (I also think that both sides, who attack or defend that point do get into hyperbole in regards to how plausible or implausible the conceit is.)

And thematically, the whole point of the story is to highlight what makes Peter Parker special by showing us why Ock doesn't quite cut it.
    So, it took a year and many dollars worth of comics to tell me something I knew from day one?

-Pav, who laughs at the idea of a mean-spirited Dan Slott trying to destroy Spidey comics one issue at a time...
    I don't think Slott is trying to destroy Spider-Man, but I can't really say that I think he's done him much good either.

Keep it civil, folks...

BANNED

I see nothing "mean-spirited" about the story, and find that idea itself pretty silly.
    Correct, but it is a view that is shared by many, including CBR article writers, who also called it mean-spirited as well as utterly pointless.

Saying it throws "everything iconic character under the bus" is hyperbole.
    It threw every iconic character under the bus, including a-listers from other franchises who could detect B.S, and made them look idiotic. That's right there on the page and the way I interpreted it. It's all subjective, and that's the point of discussion.

And thematically, the whole point of the story is to highlight what makes Peter Parker special by showing us why Ock doesn't quite cut it..
    It came out of the blue in a situation Ock could have easily handled. No epiphany was earned. Let's not forget Ock was going to remain Spidey all the way through Spider-Verse initially before plans changed, with the intention to get the readers riled up by having Ock valiantly lead the Spiders against the Inheritors.

Hell, it's Ock who gives Uncle Ben a motivational speech when he DID participate in Spider-Verse, upstaging Peter months after he "proved his worth" to him.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 10-02-2017 at 10:36 AM.

Superior Spider-Man has grown on me since it was first released. I'd be likely to consider it as a serious contender now.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Incredible Member steeplejack2112's Avatar

MUCH LOVE FOR ONE MORE DAY!!!! YAYYYYYYYY!!!!!

Hahahaha....only kidding....I voted for Amazing #300, but loved Spider-Man Blue. Lots of great stories that could go under "Other".