Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    No bad. Flashpoint is very much a Flash comic which happens to have other characters too.
    Except it's not a Flash comic. It's an event title with Flash as the star, with multiple stories going on involving Cyborg, Booster Gold, Thomas Wayne Batman, and the Aquaman -Wonder Woman war it as Barry Allen tries to regain his powers. His point was that the reboot of the DCU happened in a regular issue of the Flash abruptly with no buildup, when this is not the case at all.
    Last edited by FishboneX; 02-27-2015 at 07:00 AM.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

^ The reboot to New 52 did kind of happen abruptly. We had Road to Flashpoint in the Flash comics but everyone else was doing their own thing at the time.

Batman had Batman and Robin Reborn and Batman Inc

Superman had Reign of Doomsday and Grounded

WW had JMS' Odyssey

Green Lantern had Brightest Day GL and War of the GL's

Legion of Superheroes was involved in Earth Man and Mon-El becoming the new GL for the Legion.

Teen Titans had another showdown with Superboy Prime in the final 4 issues of TT. Literally a week before the August 2011 reboot to New 52.

Brightest Day involved Hawkman, Hawkgirl, Deadman, Swamp Thing, Firestorm, Aquaman, the new Aqualad, Hawk and Dove and a list other characters. Brightest Day concluded in June 2011. With Blackest Night finishing in 2010.

I couldn't tell you what JLA or JSA was doing at the time because I stopped reading them, but most of the DCU was not invovled in the build up to Flashpoint. Most characters got to finish their current storylines. We never did see what Constantine was going to do post Brightest Day.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Char Aznable View Post
    ^ The reboot to New 52 did kind of happen abruptly. We had Road to Flashpoint in the Flash comics but everyone else was doing their own thing at the time.

Batman had Batman and Robin Reborn and Batman Inc

Superman had Reign of Doomsday and Grounded

WW had JMS' Odyssey

Green Lantern had Brightest Day GL and War of the GL's

Legion of Superheroes was involved in Earth Man and Mon-El becoming the new GL for the Legion.

Teen Titans had another showdown with Superboy Prime in the final 4 issues of TT. Literally a week before the August 2011 reboot to New 52.

Brightest Day involved Hawkman, Hawkgirl, Deadman, Swamp Thing, Firestorm, Aquaman, the new Aqualad, Hawk and Dove and a list other characters. Brightest Day concluded in June 2011. With Blackest Night finishing in 2010.

I couldn't tell you what JLA or JSA was doing at the time because I stopped reading them, but most of the DCU was not invovled in the build up to Flashpoint. Most characters got to finish their current storylines. We never did see what Constantine was going to do post Brightest Day.
    Outside of the rumors and confirmed rumors during Flashpoint of the reboot (meaning for months the reboot was no surprise to the reading public), there was a 5 issue story (Flashpoint) with supporting mini's. As you say, the other books wrapped themselves up while the main event carried on. Are you saying it was an event and all of the heroes should have been part of in order for closure? Then you would have had complaints that the other books never wrapped up, or mostly complaints that DC had a huge multi-title crossover before a reboot and that they were forced to buy it all, blah blah blah.

But I am not really sure what you mean now.

I was referring to the titles outside of Flash having nothing to do with the reboot. It's why I named the other big titles to illustrate that everyone else in the DCU was going on about their business before the universal reboot happened. We the readers/audience were aware of New 52. We saw the concept art for the new justice league members as far back as June. Im saying that Flashpoint ended things unceremoniously. There was no crescendo or summation of all good things to the post COIE /Post Infinite Crisis DCU. Storylines were wrapped up and the post Crisis DCU just ceased. And this all occured in Flashpoint. Essentially an AU timeline involving Barry Allen Flash.

COIE had Crisis on Multiple Earths as a preabmle to it's story and the conclusion of the Silver and Bronze Age.
    Infinte Crisis had Identity Crisis, Villains United, Crisis of Conscience, Day of Vengeance, OMAC and other titles of the involved characters to act as a preamble for it and thw change s it brought.

BANNED

I was referring to the titles outside of Flash having nothing to do with the reboot. It's why I named the other big titles to illustrate that everyone else in the DCU was going on about their business before the universal reboot happened. We the readers/audience were aware of New 52. We saw the concept art for the new justice league members as far back as June. Im saying that Flashpoint ended things unceremoniously. There was no crescendo or summation of all good things to the post COIE /Post Infinite Crisis DCU. Storylines were wrapped up and the post Crisis DCU just ceased. And this all occured in Flashpoint. Essentially an AU timeline involving Barry Allen Flash
    I see your point, but I don't think the characters needed a big sendoff before Flashpoint. During COIE, all of the monthly books went on during those 12 months, telling normal stories, and if that character wasn't a big gun in the maxi-series, then you just got an ending to the title just like in Flashpoint. Geez, the regular DCU was so disconnected from the COIE maxi series that Booster Gold launched a month before the ending of the Crisis!

Quote Originally Posted by FishboneX View Post
    I see your point, but I don't think the characters needed a big sendoff before Flashpoint. During COIE, all of the monthly books went on during those 12 months, telling normal stories, and if that character wasn't a big gun in the maxi-series, then you just got an ending to the title just like in Flashpoint. Geez, the regular DCU was so disconnected from the COIE maxi series that Booster Gold launched a month before the ending of the Crisis!
    Word? I had no idea.

I'm not dissatisfied Post-Crisis DC ending. Blackest Night and Brightest Day did an admirable job as a last hurrah for our beloved Post-Crisis DCU.

BANNED

Word? I had no idea.

I'm not dissatisfied Post-Crisis DC ending. Blackest Night and Brightest Day did an admirable job as a last hurrah for our beloved Post-Crisis DCU.
    Yeah, but i have to clarify it in a way that both makes it not seem as bad and yet worse at the same time. Those titles didn't end and reboot, they just kept going. So the whole universe changed, and some titles just never even acknowledged it outside a few issues that had a red sky during the Crisis (notorious "crossover" issues that weren't). So though the DCU HAD changed and they in fact, DID reboot, there was no acknowledgement of it. Post Crisis was a mess, kinda.

Astonishing Member AlexanderLuthor's Avatar

Well, Barry was the only pre-Flashpoint character throughout, Thomas Wayne Batman was a major character along with Cyborg, Aquaman and a bunch of other alternate versions of the heroes. But I'm being picky, I know what you meant.

I don't consider Convergence a farewell, especially since we have no idea what happens after on Earth 0, nor the other Earths in the Multiverse. It's not milking those old realities, it's using them to tell a fun story. I won't be picking up all of it, just the ones that look interesting and fun. Heck, most were already "gone forever" for a long time now, even before the new 52, so it is fun to get a new story involving old characters and Elseworld realities.
    Agree. It's pretty likely that the ?'s on Morrison's Multiverse map are where the 4 continuities being used in Convergence wind up. That way they are a part of the Multiverse and can be used if a writer so desires, but aren't the main world of the Multiverse. Personally, I think it is a good way to re-introduce those realities back into the DCU while leaving the New 52 world (Earth 0) as the focal point

Except it's not a Flash comic. It's an event title with Flash as the star, with multiple stories going on involving Cyborg, Booster Gold, Thomas Wayne Batman, and the Aquaman -Wonder Woman war it as Barry Allen tries to regain his powers. His point was that the reboot of the DCU happened in a regular issue of the Flash abruptly with no buildup, when this is not the case at all.
    He said the DCU was rebooted "in a Flash comic" not "in a regular issue of the Flash". I think it's a stretch to claim Flashpoint isn't a flash comic even though The Flash is the main character in it and all of the other characters who appear are alternate reality versions of the characters.

IIRC it was always conceived as a Flash comic and the management at DC then decided to use the story as the catalyst for the DCNU.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    He said the DCU was rebooted "in a Flash comic" not "in a regular issue of the Flash". I think it's a stretch to claim Flashpoint isn't a flash comic even though The Flash is the main character in it and all of the other characters who appear are alternate reality versions of the characters.

IIRC it was always conceived as a Flash comic and the management at DC then decided to use the story as the catalyst for the DCNU.
    He already admitted he was mistaken, he thought it was a Flash comic. Mistaking the reboot happening in Flashpoint 5, the final issue of an event involving several minis and say issue 117 of the regular ongoing Flash comic are two totally different things, regardless of who the main character is in Flashpoint.

Hard to count how many times dc has changed history. With even batman losing out to some marvel titles, probably time for more dc reboots and new dc histories.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by colonyofcells View Post
    Hard to count how many times dc has changed history. With even batman losing out to some marvel titles, probably time for more dc reboots and new dc histories.
    From the "Remember When" thread yesterday:
    I remember when dc was doing frequent reboots so it is probably time for more reboots since only Batman seems to be selling for dc.
    From the "Generations of Heroes" thread today:
    Maybe dc got rid of most of the history and legacies bec. these were not making lots of money.
    You must be desperate for attention or have nothing much to say, because you have posted almost the same thing in a bunch of threads since yesterday. Or maybe you recycle posts to boost your post count?!

Maybe I am more consistent in sayings than dc is in trying to keep track of history.

BANNED

Maybe I am more consistent in sayings than dc is in trying to keep track of history.
    I'm going with trying to boost your post count.

Erasing history is very old. When the silver age started, the old golden age history was pretty much erased. Later on, the erased golden age history was assigned to earth 2 after earth 2 was invented.