Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Slaughter View Post
    I just realized something funny:

If Xa-Du is "Superman's Joker", then should't he have his own Harley Quinn?
    In fact, he already had - Erndine Ze-Da!
    Now what sort of woman would be the wife of a maniac like Xa-Du, that indeed begs the question....
    I am surprised anyone else remembered her. I'd love to see her! Superman needs more distaff foes. Really, I'd wish it had been her instead of Xa-Du to be Superman's Joker.

Quote Originally Posted by Slaughter View Post
    Different powers - that's a good idea. It is problematic because so many villains with kryptonian powers become annoying and generic after the 46th generic superman-powers guy. And the more kryptonians in the zone, the more problematic it will be. That's why they got rid of all the other kryptonians after the crisis.

There are many ways to solve this:
    - Genetic engineering freaks like that guy who became a Rondor-like thing
    - Kryptonian natural mutations?* Electric Superman had a different DNA (didn't even flinch at kryptonite), for example. Chris Kent/Lor-Zod was also a mutant - he did things other kryptonians could't because he was born in the zone, but he was weaker than them in many ways, and aged oddly (he was also the host of the nightwing, but that doesn't apply here). Different, odd powers for example - Wans't Faora who also had some psionic power?

Not just DNA can be used - there's also gadgets (like Xa-Du), methods and even skills (Pre-crisis Faora) and knowledge.

*Red K + advanced genetics = the answer? I like the idea of Red K being used as a possibly illegal mean of controlled, swift genetic alteration, a shortcut if you will. Making them permanent rather than temporary. Considering how Red K works, I can totes see it being outlawed.
    Perhaps it was illegal to alter your genetic code to gain powers on Krypton?

Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post
    They all have the same powers under a yellow sun...because they all have Kryptonian DNA.

What if they did not? What if some of them altered their DNA before being imprisioned for some reason or another? Think Poison Ivy, Mister Freeze and etcetera.

With altered DNA, maybe some zoners would not develop Super's powers.

As an aside: does anyone wonder why nobody establishes a penal colony under a orange sun or blue son and transfer the zoners there? Their greatest threat is their immortality since they do not age in the zone.
    That could work. Different powers could add the uncertain expectatives about the zoners. he trouble always have been tha they are portraited as evil Supermen. The notable zoners are few but most of them are interchageble. A mix of different personalities and powers could make them more interesting opposition to Kal-El, beyond the evil guy with Superman powers trope.

The McGuffin to alter them can be anything: permanent red k poisoning, Phantom zone irradiation alteration or a malfunction in the Phantom zone projector. The most important about that is than any one of these zoner out is a grave danger.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin