Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How to collect Morrison's Batman as Omnibi?

I'm bored, and I've been re-reading Morrison's Batman run recently, so my mind got to thinking about how I'd ideally like it to be collected. My idea is probably best suited to an Omnibus format, and I realise there's two (out of three) Absolutes for it, but I always thought the Batman and Robin Absolute was flawed by not having Time and Return. Also I think DC would miss a real beat if they collected it strictly in release order. Here goes;

- Volume 1: Batman RIP
    Contains the entire first third of the epic; Batman and Son, Clown at Midnight, 666, Three Ghosts of Batman, Black Glove, DC Universe exert, RIP, the Missing Chapters, and Last Rites (#655-658, #663-669, #672-675, #0, #676-681, #701-702, #682-683) in that order.

- Volume 2: Batman Reborn
    Contains the Batman and Robin era; Batman Reborn, Revenge of the Red Hood, Time and the Batman, Blackest Knight, Batman vs Robin, Batman and Robin Must Die, Return of Bruce Wayne, Black Mass (#1-6, #700, #7-15, #1-6, #16) in that order.

- Volume 3: Batman Incorporated
    Contains the home-run of the epic; Batman: The Return, Batman Incorporated, Leviathan Special, Demon Star, Gotham's Most Wanted (Return, #1-10, #1-10, #12-13) in that order.

Thoughts? What would you do differently?
    Last edited by PyroSikTh; 05-17-2014 at 06:13 AM.

I'd collect Batman Inc. Vol. 2 #11 even if Morrison didn't write. I doubt an extra issue would hurt.
    BB

Sounds good. Would be really cool.
    Formerly known as YMCMB

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

I'm not sure putting RIP: The Missing Chapter right after RIP is the best way to go. Unless, Return of Bruce Wayne is also in that first omnibus, making it the "Bruce Wayne Experience" with the second omnibus being Dick/Damian., which leaves it a kinda skimpy omnibus.

In the end, like The Kingdom or Seven Soldiers of Victory, no matter how it's collected, jumping around between stories/arcs is going to be immensely rewarding.

Interleaving RoBW and B&R chapters, as is sometimes suggested, would be terribly detrimental, though, in my opinion. It'd break up the rhythms of the two stories, which, at best, have parts taking place chronologically close together, like two separate stories set in the same war.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Spectacular Member

"Interleaving RoBW and B&R chapters, as is sometimes suggested, would be terribly detrimental, though, in my opinion. "

Considering that's how it came out for the most part, that's how it read if you read it as they came out with comics. I'd have the Return of Bruce Wayne issues at one point alternate with the Batman & Robin issues, that way they are more like a novel where each chapter changes the point of view of the larger story line. I'd also edit in some pages of Final Crisis into the story with perhaps a new page created to make it flow.

If DC was smart, they should just let Grant Morrison decide on the reading order and let him make that decision, since he knows how he had it planned.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by earl View Post
    I'd also edit in some pages of Final Crisis into the story with perhaps a new page created to make it flow.
    Nah, I'd leave space in Reading Order for it to go "Volume One", "Final Crisis (New Edition with Last Rites)", "Volume Two" etc. Although there are a couple of pages of 52 that lift right out into a Morrison Run Prelude so neatly that I'm surprised they've never been collected as such.

Or, alternatively....

Volume One:
    "Pages From 52"
    Batman And Son
    Black Glove
    Batman RIP

Volume 2:
    Final Crisis (Including Last Rites)
    RIP Missing Chapters
    Return Of Bruce Wayne

Volume 3:
    Batman and Robin Reborn
    Time and the Batman
    Batman vs Robin
    Batman And Robin Must Die

Volume 3

Batman: The Return
    Batman Incorporated Vol1
    Leviathan Strikes
    Batman Incorporated Vol2

Amazing Member

I'd skip right over omnibus format and go straight to Absolute to match the other collections. Then, all you'd need is an R.I.P. absolute with the first part of the run up to R.I.P., followed by a Return of Bruce Wayne absolute that collects that miniseries plus the R.I.P. missing chapters and Time and the Batman.

Incredible Member

Or one giant, impractical, thick book with absolutely all of that in it.

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    I'm not sure putting RIP: The Missing Chapter right after RIP is the best way to go. Unless, Return of Bruce Wayne is also in that first omnibus, making it the "Bruce Wayne Experience" with the second omnibus being Dick/Damian., which leaves it a kinda skimpy omnibus.
    RIP Missing Chapters is, in my opinion, the best ending for RIP as it actually has his death (always bugged me about the RIP story). Also the ending of RIP Missing Chapters is a pretty good cliffhanger for Return of Bruce Wayne in the next omnibus.

Quote Originally Posted by earl View Post
    I'd also edit in some pages of Final Crisis into the story with perhaps a new page created to make it flow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Claude View Post
    Nah, I'd leave space in Reading Order for it to go "Volume One", "Final Crisis (New Edition with Last Rites)", "Volume Two" etc.
    That's what Missing Chapters is for, so that you don't have to read Final Crisis at all. It covers all the major story beats relevant to Batman, including his actual "death".

Quote Originally Posted by dern View Post
    I'd skip right over omnibus format and go straight to Absolute to match the other collections. Then, all you'd need is an R.I.P. absolute with the first part of the run up to R.I.P., followed by a Return of Bruce Wayne absolute that collects that miniseries plus the R.I.P. missing chapters and Time and the Batman.
    Problem with that, and why I haven't picked any of the Absolute's up, is because Return of Bruce Wayne must be read before Batman and Robin 16, so it creates book swapping, which is even more of a pain with books as big and clunky as Absolutes. The Batman and Robin Absolute just doesn't feel like an Absolute to me because it's missing a crucial part of the story.

Sure The Missing Chapter makes a good capstone to RIP in many respects however alot of people seem to forget that one element of the plot firmly places it after the events of Batman VS Robin. At the conclusion of that arc Dick and Damian discover Bruce's belt and cowl have been handed down from prehistoric times and stashed away in the Manor. The narration in The Missing Chapter is revealed to be a recording Bruce left to his rescuers, the recording is played and information key to the secrets of RoBW revealed only when Dick and Damian find the belt.

I'd collect the whole thing very close to its original order of release (not exactly though). I don't think this interrupts the individual story threads: it's how we experienced it monthly and it worked fine back then. In fact the build up and tension as you skip across the various building climaxes heightens the urgency and complexity of the gradual reveals, which were deliberately layered by Morrison to fall in order across the separate titles.

Therefore would go something like this;

Batman Forever Vol.1: R.I.P. (23 issues)
    FT 30,47: Fifty-Two excerpts - combined in some sort of framing device, perhaps arranged to resemble a flashback
    655-658: Batman and Son
    663-669: Clown at Midnight, 666, Three Ghosts of Batman
    672-675: The Black Glove
    DCU 0: The Dead Man's Hand prologue
    676-681: RIP
    FC 1-4: Final Crisis 1-4 excerpts - I know its recapped later but something needs to be shown here to convey what are pivotal moments at this point of the story. Again, the story was originally constructed and released this way.
    682-683: Last Rites
    FC 6-7: Final Crisis 6-7 excerpts - End on Clark carrying the charred corpse out of the bunker and the reveal of Bruce in the cave

REBORN COMPANION goes here (I'll come back to this later)

Batman Forever Vol.2: REBORN (24)
    BR 01-03: Batman Reborn
    BR 04-06: Revenge of the Red Hood
    BM 700: Time and the Batman - occurs before Dick and Damian learn of the corpse, leading into the next arc
    BR 07-09: Blackest Knight
    BR 10: Batman VS Robin 01 - the time travel mystery begins
    RoBW 01: Shadow on Stone
    BR 11: Batman VS Robin 02
    RoBW 02: Until the End of Time
    BR 12: Batman VS Robin 03 - Dick and Damian find the belt
    701-702: RIP: The Missing Chapter - revealing the cosmic Motherbox stuff which becomes more important towards climax
    RoBW 04: Dark Knight, Dark Rider - the story of Van Derm and the wooden box that ultimately unravels Hurt
    BR 13: Batman Must Die 01
    BR 14: Batman Must Die 02
    RoBW 05: Masquerade
    BR 15: Batman Must Die 03 - Bruce arrives unexpectedly
    RoBW 06: The All Over - reveal Bruce's solution at the end of time
    BR 16: Black Mass - the big crazy climax
    TR 01: Batman: The Return - epilogue and set-up of a new era

Batman Forever Vol.3: INCORPORATED (27)
    INC 00: Incorporated #0: the formation of Batman Inc
    01-08: Mr Unknown, Scorpion Tango, Medicine Soldiers, Numberland
    09-10: Leviathan Strikes
    BR 00: Batman & Robin #0; origin of Damian Al Ghul
    01-06: Demon Star
    BR AN: Batman & Robin Annual #1: Bruce and Damians last trip together
    07-09: Death of Damian Wayne
    10,12: Gothams Most Wanted
    BR, 18: Batman & Robin #18: Requiem Silent Issue
    INC 13: The Devils Daughter the oroboros

My only issue with that list is that Morrison didn't write all of those.

Quote Originally Posted by nepenthes View Post
    Sure The Missing Chapter makes a good capstone to RIP in many respects however alot of people seem to forget that one element of the plot firmly places it after the events of Batman VS Robin. At the conclusion of that arc Dick and Damian discover Bruce's belt and cowl have been handed down from prehistoric times and stashed away in the Manor. The narration in The Missing Chapter is revealed to be a recording Bruce left to his rescuers, the recording is played and information key to the secrets of RoBW revealed only when Dick and Damian find the belt.
    That's very true, but I've been reading through on my proposed order recently, and it just feels like another hint at whats to come. I mean let's face it, the run is full of little details you don't pick up on until later when it becomes important. The narration in Missing Chapters reads like that; "How'd they find it? What are they going to do now?"

Furthermore, that narration actually begins at the end of RIP when he talks about when he realises it was all a trap and Jet was a part of it, so you read the start of it prior to Batman vs Robin anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Tiger View Post
    My only issue with that list is that Morrison didn't write all of those.
    Pray tell, what didn't Morrison write from any of the proposed lists?

Quote Originally Posted by PyroSikTh View Post
    That's very true, but I've been reading through on my proposed order recently, and it just feels like another hint at whats to come. I mean let's face it, the run is full of little details you don't pick up on until later when it becomes important. The narration in Missing Chapters reads like that; "How'd they find it? What are they going to do now?"

Furthermore, that narration actually begins at the end of RIP when he talks about when he realises it was all a trap and Jet was a part of it, so you read the start of it prior to Batman vs Robin anyway.
    I hear you, and yeah in many ways it does work well to have The Missing Chapter providing that resolution to RIP immediately rather than dragging it out, however when weighed against everything else I just know that there's probably a dozen more little connections like this that I've forgotten about also. Above all we know from Morrison himself that the run was very deliberately written to weave and intersect. That's why I'd include some form of FC excerpt at the end of RIP to smooth out that whole section, even though its explained again later on; as you said in your OP that story beat needs to be there in some shape or form.

Here's the trick; DC could frame the FC excerpts by creating a couple of brand new pages where Alfred is reviewing files on the computer. We see from his perspective the original FC artwork of Bruce getting the JLA call, performing the autopsy, capture by Granny Goodness, getting stuck in that machine thing. And this would dovetail nicely with the impostor narration when we then dive into Last Rites in full, a story which also actually ends with the real Alfred on the computer saying how the Batman will always rise again etc. After that final splash page in Last Rites we'd turn over to further files left up on the computer that show Bruce confronting Darkseid, being zapped and then his corpse carried out in a another big splash. One more page shows the computer being shutdown, ending the framing device. A few pages of black. The trade should then have "To Be Continued in Volume 2" type page, with the central image being Bruce in the cave from FC 7. It just takes a bit of clever design and trade dressing.

Pray tell, what didn't Morrison write from any of the proposed lists?
    In my Incorporated Volume I've include a handful of Tomasi issues that would add just a little more weight to the father/son relationship and to Damian's death. Morrison glosses over alot of the more heartfelt stuff and again the idea would be to replicate the original reading experience as much as possible. Fact is all of this other stuff WAS going on while Incorporated was hurtling towards its tragic end, and these particular issues are among the very best of the concurrent New 52 B&R series, written by someone who keenly in sync with what Morrison was doing (Tomasi was his former editor on Batman in fact and instrumental in hiring him for the title- see, it all comes full circle in the end!)

In my Incorporated Volume I've include a handful of Tomasi issues that would add just a little more weight to the father/son relationship and to Damian's death.
    That's fair enough then. I must have missed those.

Batman Forever Vol.2: REBORN (24)
    BR 01-03: Batman Reborn
    BR 04-06: Revenge of the Red Hood
    BM 700: Time and the Batman - occurs before Dick and Damian learn of the corpse, leading into the next arc
    BR 07-09: Blackest Knight
    BR 10: Batman VS Robin 01 - the time travel mystery begins
    RoBW 01: Shadow on Stone
    BR 11: Batman VS Robin 02
    RoBW 02: Until the End of Time
    BR 12: Batman VS Robin 03 - Dick and Damian find the belt
    701-702: RIP: The Missing Chapter - revealing the cosmic Motherbox stuff which becomes more important towards climax
    RoBW 04: Dark Knight, Dark Rider - the story of Van Derm and the wooden box that ultimately unravels Hurt
    BR 13: Batman Must Die 01
    BR 14: Batman Must Die 02
    RoBW 05: Masquerade
    BR 15: Batman Must Die 03 - Bruce arrives unexpectedly
    RoBW 06: The All Over - reveal Bruce's solution at the end of time
    BR 16: Black Mass - the big crazy climax
    TR 01: Batman: The Return - epilogue and set-up of a new era
    I just came back to have a closer look at this, and you missed out Return of Bruce Wayne #3, which has mention by Batman and Robin of Joker.

I literally just finished re-reading Return of Bruce Wayne on my read-through of the run, and in retrospect maybe I would split it up a little bit, but I want to re-read Batman and Robin Must Die first before finalising exactly how I want it split up. I definitely think RoBW #3 should be read amongst Must Die somewhere, but not sure exactly where yet.