Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default New Head of Sony, Tom Rothman, bad for Spider-Man in MCU?

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansit...news/?a=115753

Tom Rothman has been named head honcho of Sony Pictures, taking over from Amy Pascal who "stepped down" after that recent email hack fiasco. Even if you don't recognize his name, you will most definitely remember his work.

Rothman ran Fox back when the likes of Daredevil, Elektra and the previous Fantastic Four movies were released. He fast-tracked X-Men: The Last Stand, forcing Bryan Singer to abandon the project, and then placed Brett Ratner at the helm. Word is he also micromanaged X-Men: Origins: Wolverine into such a mess that the film wasn't even recognizable to its director, Gavin Hood. Some say Rothman dislikes comic book movies in general, only having a hand in producing the ones he did because of how lucrative they are, and is allegedly one of the main reasons there is such bad blood between Fox and Marvel Studios these days.

So you see, probably not the wisest move for Sony to make as they embark on a partnership with Marvel.

Obviously not all of the blame for those movies' shortcoming can be attributed solely to Rothman, but the fact remains they were produced on his watch. Will this effect Sony's future plans for Spider-Man and those spin-off movies going forward? Could it even have some bearing on Marvel's plans to use the character in their project(s)? Only time will tell of course, but if Rothman hasn't learned anything from his past mistakes, we might well be looking back with fondness on the glory days of The Amazing Spider-Man 2 someday.
    What do you make of this? Will this bring the quality of the MCU down? Will this affect the Spider-Man films?

Default Tom Rothman takes over Sony Pictures. Time to worry about the new Spider-Man films?

http://badassdigest.com/2015/02/24/w...w-sony-honcho/

The man who didn't want Sentinels in the X-Men movies is now in charge of Sony Pictures. The pessimist in me thought it was nice to hope for a decent Spider-Man movie for a little while there.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    http://badassdigest.com/2015/02/24/w...w-sony-honcho/

The man who didn't want Sentinels in the X-Men movies is now in charge of Sony Pictures. The pessimist in me thought it was nice to hope for a decent Spider-Man movie for a little while there.
    Heh, we made the same thread :P

Brought to you by CarlsJr SickAlice's Avatar

I thought it was always time to worry about the new Spider-man films, lol. I think ultimately we'll get what we get. Whatever comes down the pipe will in parts leave some people fulfilled and in other parts leave people dismissive. So pretty much the usual. And if something comes out that's surprisingly well received then we got lucky.
    I make love, you make me sick.

Quote Originally Posted by Songbird/Diamondback View Post
    Heh, we made the same thread :P
    Because this news really is that dreadful. This is the guy who said they should make a PG-13 Die Hard movie.

Quote Originally Posted by SickAlice View Post
    I thought it was always time to worry about the new Spider-man films, lol. I think ultimately we'll get what we get. Whatever comes down the pipe will in parts leave some people fulfilled and in other parts leave people dismissive. So pretty much the usual. And if something comes out that's surprisingly well received then we got lucky.
    I would really rather not dread the next Spider-Man film. But after Spider-Man 3, Amazing Spider-Man 1, and Amazing Spider-Man 2, and now this news, I can't think of any other possible reaction.

Because this news really is that dreadful. This is the guy who said they should make a PG-13 Die Hard movie.

I'm really concerned now. After the Spider-Man/MCU news, I thought, "Hey, maybe with Marvel Studios, they could get a good handle on this franchise". Why is this guy against giant robots and stuff in these films?!

BANNED

I don't think we're screwed at all since marvel will help handling spidey.

Quote Originally Posted by Songbird/Diamondback View Post
    I'm really concerned now. After the Spider-Man/MCU news, I thought, "Hey, maybe with Marvel Studios, they could get a good handle on this franchise". Why is this guy against giant robots and stuff in these films?!
    Because he reportedly hates movies based off of comic books.

And other movies too. He apparently was the one who didn't approve a new Alien film by James Cameron and Ridley Scott because "We have a good script for AVP."

Quote Originally Posted by marvelguy25 View Post
    Kevin Feige really is our only hope in this. But considering Rothman was the reason Marvel and Fox had their falling out, things could get ugly here if Rothman wants to fight the deal that was signed just before he got there.

Because he reportedly hates movies based off of comic books.

And other movies too. He apparently was the one who didn't approve a new Alien film by James Cameron and Ridley Scott because "We have a good script for AVP."

Quote Originally Posted by marvelguy25 View Post
    You know, the last Spider-Man adaptation Marvel made is the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon.

The Sony-produced Spectacular Spider-Man was canceled to make way for it.

Just something to keep in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    You know, the last Spider-Man adaptation Marvel made is the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon.

That's what I keep trying to tell you guys!
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post

I approve of this "Spidey's doomed no matter what" attitude. It's been that way since Spider-Man 3. Why change now?

Well, if this film ends up a bust, then I think Black Panther and Carol Danver fans will be RUTHLESS.

Also my sister's friend who was going "If they make another Spider-Man movie, I'm quitting Marvel"
    Last edited by Songbird/Diamondback; 02-24-2015 at 09:47 PM.

Not sure where all this hate from comic book news sites are coming from... I have trouble seeing how much this guy supposedly "hates" comic book movies when he was the one who signed off on the comic book movie that really popularized the genre in the first X-Men? The movies made under his watch supposedly had 150 Oscar nominations and 3 Best Pictures wins too but maybe that's just him editing his own Wiki page.

Any first-hand sources for this?

Brought to you by CarlsJr SickAlice's Avatar

I would really rather not dread the next Spider-Man film. But after Spider-Man 3, Amazing Spider-Man 1, and Amazing Spider-Man 2, and now this news, I can't think of any other possible reaction.
    I'm in the same way and I'm an optimist. This is a case where not a pessimist but a realist. A pessimist prays for rain, a realist see's a long forecast of rain and predicts they should take an umbrella along just in case. I say expect something subpar, that way if it is you won't take the hit too hard and if it isn't then you'll have a reason to be surprised. Now mind you I won't base my own forecast on this announcement here. I will base it on the consistency I've seen from the franchise thus far. I'll base whether the movie changes that cycle on seeing the movie when it arrives, until then it's up to the studio to give me a reason to believe.
    I make love, you make me sick.