Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Spider-Gwen #1 Spoilers/Discussion

So the day has arrived. Spider-Gwen #1 hit the shelves today. was it worth the wait? have you read it yet?

I did enjoy the book, all the things that i felt were great in EOSV #2 were apparent here. a bit of a slow burner as Layour builds the world for Gwen. but a good read.

Here for those that wish to read are my thoughts on the first issue.

http://themanwhocollectsspiderman.bl...anted-pt1.html

BANNED

spoilers:
    All this time hating on Silk...and it turns out her book was far better written than this dreck. Not one likeable character in the bunch. Why is Gwen so hung up on money when her dad is a cushy detective? MJ is too much of a diva to the point of a caricature, and the jokes were lame....and Gwen committing graffiti vandalizm to make a point is just too off-point for me. Art was also atrocious.
    end of spoilers

Not worth the hype at all. Buy Silk.

I really enjoyed it and I'll keep buying it as long as the series goes.
    Life Finds A Way
    God Loves Man Kills
    What Is Thy Bidding My Master
    Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken
    Till All Are One

BANNED

any spoilers you can give me guys?

It was a fun, simple story. I don't know if it is the sort of comic that warrants a purchase every month, but I'll ride it out for now.

I liked office Grimm, but I guess that means no Fantastic Four in Gwen's universe.

Cue the Silk vs Spider-Gwen fan wars...

BANNED

It's a shame they're not in the same universe. I'd make them BFFs just to piss off the haters on either side.

Honestly, I didn't really like this issue either.

People are going to compare this to Silk. And honestly? I thought Silk #1 was actually quite charming.

I think I was hoping for more of a "Emma Stone as Spider-Man" vibe with this, and instead got "Emma Stone doing a bad impression of Andrew Garfield's Peter Parker after listening to terrible music" vibe. (Someone was listening to the Amazing Spider-Man 2 soundtrack, weren't they?)

Also, this doesn't really act as a first issue. It feels more like a second issue, with that EOSV being #1. This wouldn't be a problem if EOSV hadn't come out several months ago.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Honestly, I didn't really like this issue either.

People are going to compare this to Silk. And honestly? I thought Silk #1 was actually quite charming.

I think I was hoping for more of a "Emma Stone as Spider-Man" vibe with this, and instead got "Emma Stone doing a bad impression of Andrew Garfield's Peter Parker after listening to terrible music" vibe. (Someone was listening to the Amazing Spider-Man 2 soundtrack, weren't they?)

Also, this doesn't really act as a first issue. It feels more like a second issue, with that EOSV being #1. This wouldn't be a problem if EOSV hadn't come out several months ago.
    Think of the Edge issue as her Amazing Fantasy #15.

EOSV itself feels like an issue in the middle of a comic book run anyway. Nonetheless the book has a simple enough concept and story that it's pretty accessible to practically everyone, as the gushing CBR review indicates.

Mighty Member

I warned you guys about Latour!

Quote Originally Posted by cyberhubbs View Post
    Think of the Edge issue as her Amazing Fantasy #15.
    I know that's what they're going for (or Mayday after her issue of What If?), but I don't think it carried over particularly well. Marvel, especially lately, have been hitting it out of the park with their #1 issues. Ant-Man #1 was strong. Silk #1 was pretty solid.

This one didn't really appeal to me at all.

Oh well. As they say, not every comic is for every reader.

The issue had way to much hype going for it.
    I thought it was alright, was hoping for more of Gwen's life less Spider-Woman.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    I know that's what they're going for (or Mayday after her issue of What If?), but I don't think it carried over particularly well. Marvel, especially lately, have been hitting it out of the park with their #1 issues. Ant-Man #1 was strong. Silk #1 was pretty solid.

This one didn't really appeal to me at all.

Oh well. As they say, not every comic is for every reader.
    Give it time and it will grow into something better as that how it worked for Mayday Parker after her What If intro.

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    Give it time and it will grow into something better as that how it worked for Mayday Parker after her What If intro.
    I agree, with Silk she was part of the main book and used as a plot device. Then you get her main book and wow, amazing what character work can do. Have to remember this is an intro issue and while many people gave into the hype. I'm sure issue 2 will take off, issue 1 was nice but I see why others wanted more. While with Silk we had less until now.
    Mooper Films