Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default REVIEW: Spider-Gwen, #1

"Spider-Gwen" #1 is a truly accessible comic book that can be thoroughly enjoyed from start to finish, thanks to writer Jason Latour and artist Robbi Rodriguez.

Full article here.

I liked her Edge Of Spiderverse debut, but this did nothing for me, sadly.

The story here was a little more traditional, but I thought the art was just as striking. Rodriguez's pencils are stylish and energetic, and Renzi's colors are right on target.

Don't understand the review it was a very average story with nothing jumping out to say buy issue two. At the price point of comics today they need something more interesting then this

All-New Member

Yeah, I've got to say this did nothing for me. I wasn't much a fan of the art either. I much preferred the story and art in Silk #1, so if I had to pick one, I'm gonna continue with that over this.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Karate View Post
    Yeah, I've got to say this did nothing for me. I wasn't much a fan of the art either. I much preferred the story and art in Silk #1, so if I had to pick one, I'm gonna continue with that over this.
    Same. Though, I did like this issue, I think I just prefer Silk more...
    "Once you're an avenger, it never fails. Sooner or later, the time comes when it's your turn to step up to the plate. Just make sure you're ready"

♥♥عابث سولاناس♥♥ Park Slope Pixie's Avatar

This thing is getting the mother of all pushes. 5 stars? For what?

Silk #1 was better in every way.

For the purpose of record keeping, here is another thread where CBR users have already left many other comments and their impressions on this first number. :=)

Spider-Gwen #1 Spoilers/Discussion
    http://community.comicbookresources....ers-Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by pixie_solanas View Post
    This thing is getting the mother of all pushes. 5 stars? For what?

Silk #1 was better in every way.
    I agree that the first issue of Silk was better, but not in every way. Spider-Gwen had zero panels of Black Cat.

All-New Member

5 stars? Oooooookay.

I'm betting the 5 star rating came first, and then a lot of mental gymnastics to justify it ti yourself.

It was good, not five stars good, but hey...

The crayon reference was spot on, the colors do really stand out...
    #MagnetoWasRight

Of all the Spider-Man books to come out over the past five years, I was looking forward to this one the most. Gwen Stacy offers something fresh and different while not deviating from the themes that make Spider-Man so iconic. She turned the tables on the concept, essentially reversing the roles with her becoming the hero while Peter Parker got fridged. I think it created a beautifully poetic setup and one that I'm glad Marvel is capitalizing on. And this book nicely continued what Spider-Verse started.

That said, I don't think it deserves a perfect score. Don't get me wrong. It deserves a very good score. But this book isn't perfect. While it did an excellent job of developing Gwen's story, everything else felt a little rushed. I would've liked to see more on her father. And Vulture came off as overly flat. But those are fairly minor flaws. I still really enjoyed this book and would definitely put it above Silk. In fact, I'd even put it above Peter Parker. Gwen just comes off as being a lot more likable than Peter at this point. But that's just me.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Ya, i don't get it. After all the Spider-Gwen excitement i picked this up only to leave me questioning what all this excitement was about. Art was cool, beyond that though it did nothing for me.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 02-26-2015 at 07:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Ya, i don't get it. After all the Spider-Gwen excitement i picked this up only to leave me questioning what all this excitement was about. Art was cool, beyond that though it did nothing for me.
    I feel exactly the same....
    MY Pull List: MARVEL: Amazing Spider-man, Spider-Man 2099, Star Wars DC: Earth 2: society, Superman, Action, Batman, Batman Beyond, titans, teen titans; IMAGE: Lazarus, Outcast, Southern Bastards IDW: Star Trek: Boldly Go VALIANT Ninjak

All-New Member

I liked her better in Spider-Verse. I just don't think I like Latour's writing, as I didn't like his WatXM much at all. I'll continue with it for now, but Silk was much better.