Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Brit View Post
    Loved this issue, it brought the arc to an end in a well defined manner for me I posted the rest of my thoughts here for those that wish to read.

http://themanwhocollectsspiderman.bl...er-man-15.html

as for whinging about MC2 Peter dying, well so did Ben Reilly in war there are some casualties
    Right. Though Ben actually contributed to the story some. I think that might be what people are complaining about. That and it's probably a stealth OMD complaint.

At any rate, this issue made up for the mediocrity of the last issue IMO. Threads are closed and new ones are created. Spider UK and Anya, whatever Otto is planning, Kaine, Peter's newfound "bossiness". It ended a lot better than I thought it would.

IIRC, one of the future issues has Parker Industries being blown to kingdom come.

What if that's through Otto's design via the stuff with Anna? His last revenge before he's shoved back into his proper timeline?

Quote Originally Posted by R.K.Z View Post
    It's still rude. Fine if you're cool being the "bad cop", but f you want people to read your reviews, you might want to have a chirpier attitude and take their own concerns and investments in characters more to heart, rather than slap them down with "tough, war is hell"

WHAT development? "Oh, I'll nag a bit and be all meta about Spiders being "fakes", and be generally useless the whole event until something drops in my hand that's important to the plot". That's not development mate. Never will be.

And given we're then told it may not be the real Mayday at all, it renders the whole thing rather needless anyway. It's a Mayday Marvel wanted at the expense of a Mayday the fans were more familiar with
    People can read them if they want, if they don't i'm not going to think oh maybe i shouldn't say what i think because a few people might not read my reviews. it was a throw away comment that you are taking far too seriously

Erm I think you're doing the character a great disservice there by saying she was generally useless. did you miss the part where she was intent on killing Daemos and then showed strength and growth to not go through with murder in the last issue, She was going through a grieving process the whole time. she came through a huge test of character and survived a war do you not think that she may well have grown from that experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Seto Kaiba View Post
    Right. Though Ben actually contributed to the story some. I think that might be what people are complaining about. That and it's probably a stealth OMD complaint.

At any rate, this issue made up for the mediocrity of the last issue IMO. Threads are closed and new ones are created. Spider UK and Anya, whatever Otto is planning, Kaine, Peter's newfound "bossiness". It ended a lot better than I thought it would.

I think you're onto something there.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Brit View Post
    People can read them if they want, if they don't i'm not going to think oh maybe i shouldn't say what i think because a few people might not read my reviews. it was a throw away comment that you are taking far too seriously

Erm I think you're doing the character a great disservice there by saying she was generally useless. did you miss the part where she was intent on killing Daemos and then showed strength and growth to not go through with murder in the last issue, She was going through a grieving process the whole time. she came through a huge test of character and survived a war do you not think that she may well have grown from that experience.
    I think May was slightly out of character, but people really need to realize how quickly the events in Spider Verse happened. May (thought) she saw her mother, father, and boyfriend all die during the same attack and had no time to grieve. She could not help them because she had to take care of her little brother, and she was sucked into all of the craziness immediately after. It's kind of hard for a girl to collect herself in that sort of situation, and the fact that most Spiders got very little screen time made it hard for any real character development to happen on panel. The death of Peter CAN be a good thing for her growth, but that is really up to future writers.

Quote Originally Posted by Xalfrea View Post
    IIRC, one of the future issues has Parker Industries being blown to kingdom come.

What if that's through Otto's design via the stuff with Anna? His last revenge before he's shoved back into his proper timeline?
    Not sure if that would be entirely possible since Parker Industries only happened after the point he was returned to his point in history and Peter's removed all of the spider suits from the building, including the one the AI was in.

But all in all, it was a nice finish to this story, especially Kaine being alive (hope he shows up in Secret Wars) and Mayday getting a sort of happy ending (though I'll admit, while I get the feeling of her taking up her father's costume, still gonna miss her old one since I actually like the design better).

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spazzy_D View Post
    Eh, it's a super hero comic, people die to promote character growth. It wasn't handled well within Spider Verse, but if Mayday can develop further as a character due to Peter's death, then it can be a good thing in the long run. Pete also went out as a true hero, protecting his family to the end. It's not a bad death at all (and if Mayday ever gets an ongoing in the future he could always come back. When has a little thing like death ever stopped a super hero?)
    And she couldn't have "developed" without Peter's death because? She needed to have what made her truly unique ripped away from her because? She needed to be just another "hero who loses a loved one" because? The answer is IT DIDN'T. The death was pointless, unnecessary, and took away something unique about her character to replace it without same "tragic" crap that we've seen a billion times. Dumb, dumb, dumb, and did I mention DUMB! Oh and as for CB characters who have died and NOT come back, especially more-obscure ones, I could give you a list but we'd be here all week.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spazzy_D View Post
    I think May was slightly out of character, but people really need to realize how quickly the events in Spider Verse happened. May (thought) she saw her mother, father, and boyfriend all die during the same attack and had no time to grieve. She could not help them because she had to take care of her little brother, and she was sucked into all of the craziness immediately after. It's kind of hard for a girl to collect herself in that sort of situation, and the fact that most Spiders got very little screen time made it hard for any real character development to happen on panel. The death of Peter CAN be a good thing for her growth, but that is really up to future writers.
    And I have no faith whatsoever in Marvel to do anything interesting with her. The fact that Slott felt that she just HAD to have a cliché "tragedy" in her life just to give her something to do, does not bode well for her in the future. If they REALLY knew what to do with her, then they could have done so WITHOUT taking away what made her truly unique and interesting.

I enjoyed this ending a lot. I'm interested to see what SpOck's plan amounts to, whether it has to do with Parker Industries or some elaborate plot for Otto to make his grand return...

As for Karn, I had a feeling the Master Weaver was him and vice versa. It's still a little confusing, but it sorta makes sense? I don't understand how the loop works, if Karn is just taking up the mantle now, but the version of him that's been doing it for thousands of years is an old him. I'm hoping that gets clarified in the future somewhere.
    "Once you're an avenger, it never fails. Sooner or later, the time comes when it's your turn to step up to the plate. Just make sure you're ready"

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    And she couldn't have "developed" without Peter's death because? She needed to have what made her truly unique ripped away from her because? She needed to be just another "hero who loses a loved one" because? The answer is IT DIDN'T. The death was pointless, unnecessary, and took away something unique about her character to replace it without same "tragic" crap that we've seen a billion times. Dumb, dumb, dumb, and did I mention DUMB! Oh and as for CB characters who have died and NOT come back, especially more-obscure ones, I could give you a list but we'd be here all week.
    I'm not sure how having Peter alive made her "truly unique." Is it because she was a legacy character with a still living but retired mentor? I'm curious about what you meant.

Ultimate Member

Yes. She was a hero who DIDN'T have to have some kind of tragedy/death in her background to want to be a hero. The fact that Marvel thought that the ONLY way that they could do more with her was to kill off one of her loved ones for the sake of cheap drama, yeah like we haven't seen that countless times before, shows just how lazy/uncreative the writing has truly become.

Yes. She was a hero who DIDN'T have to have some kind of tragedy/death in her background to want to be a hero. The fact that Marvel thought that the ONLY way that they could do more with her was to kill off one of her loved ones for the sake of cheap drama, yeah like we haven't seen that countless times before, shows just how lazy/uncreative the writing has truly become.
    This! That was my main problem, Mayday had enough "drama" in her life because she was the daughter of Spider-Man and a teen. Plenty of real life, growing up to deal with. Even if her series would have lasted for her to go to college too and even after. May has plenty in her life to keep her relatable and enjoyable. She doesn't need the: "This has to be how it is because its the Spider-Girl we grew up with." That kind of thinking that lead to OMD and these type of short sighted stories. Happy that there was also a: "Oh... that's right Julia has been in a coma for almost 2 years now, let's fix that. We have a Secret Wars tie in we need her in." Very sloppy, quick fix when it really had nothing to do with the story before, during or after.
    Mooper Films

Um.....Peter made her unique? ooookay.

And honestly, what would you have done? They wanted May and Benjy for the event but obviously didn't want Peter there. On top of that, she lost her father and in the end decided NOT to exact revenge. I think it's a turning point in her character honestly and she can survive just fine without Peter.

Though if you could write something better, go right ahead.

BANNED

Just one other thing...if MJ and Wes were at the neighbours...where were the neighbours?

In my headcanon, they were actually at Aunt Anna's house.

Quote Originally Posted by Seto Kaiba View Post
    Though if you could write something better, go right ahead.
    Pretty sure Tom D already did that with his not-so-subtle "out"
    Last edited by R.K.Z; 02-25-2015 at 11:21 AM.

I don't know about that, it's not like Super Heroes without tragic back stories don't exist or anything. The thing to take away from Mayday's situation (in my opinion) isn't that Peter died, but that she was presented with a worst case scenario and had the inner strength to stick to her convictions when it counted. She showed great resolve and character, and I don't think this event will change her over all character all that much.