Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Default Diana As God of War

I decided to make this thread were we can discuss Diana's current status as the God of War. Post any opinion you may have on it. Do you like it or dislike it? Who has handled it the best? How long do you think it will last? etc.

I like the concept, but the way it is portrayed...Well, it leaves me 'meh'.

It depends on what does it mean to be a god in the first place?

She hasn't done anything particular with that, other than the obvious "oh I'm going crazy because of my role". Somehow I'd have hoped she would get some enhanced abilities when it comes to conflit, like some power ups she would get in combat.

Like being a god of war would mean that no matter whom of two opposing camps is the victor, the god would not care because either way he or she would be served anyway.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

I like it as a short-term kind of thing.

It's cool to see Diana forced into a role that runs counter to her beliefs and ideals and trying to reconcile them. Some good stories can be told with such a situation.

Nonetheless, contrary to what some have said, War cannot create Peace. Read your history. War is great for solving short-term problems (an enemy is invading your country, another nation is growing stronger than yours, etc.) but it, by itself, is lousy at solving long-term problems. War begets more war.

Take World War I, for example. The Germans were clear and unmistakable aggressors. They attacked other nations. The world united against them and their allies. The Germans were defeated. The victorious nations then smacked the Germans with sanctions and restrictions that were designed to basically keep Germany reduced to a Third World nation. Brettc1 said it a while back: those "peace terms" with Germany were nothing less than the continuing of the war against Germany through politics and economics, rather than military aggression.

World War II happened because Hitler played on the German people's anger and bitterness at the entirely unfair sanctions that had been imposed upon them after the end of World War I. The average German soldier did NOT believe he was part of some grand world domination scheme. He believed he was going out to avenge the humiliations the world had heaped upon his country for decades. He would've felt just as justified in this war as the Allies did in defending themselves against this unprovoked aggression.

Some wars must be fought. It's true. But it is not the war that will create a lasting peace. War can only end the immediate conflict. It does not, indeed, it CANNOT, address the true causes of the conflict in the first place. It is ONLY through politics and diplomacy that a true, lasting peace can be achieved.

So, no, the idea that Diana can be the God of War and try to use her power to bring about peace is simply not true. She represents the wrong concept to bring about a lasting peace. As God of War, all she can do is seek to end conflicts through military means. But she can't really govern the processes that can actually achieve true peace. If she had become the God of Peace? Sure, that would be her specialty, then. If she had become the God of Justice? Sure. Justice can play a role in bringing peace. But the God of War can only fight wars. Not prevent them from happening in the first place.

So, conclusion? It's an okay story for Diana in the short term, but in the long run it's not good for her character.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

One of the many irredeemable fails of the new52. It's a concept that just can't be associated to WW, as much as Superman can't be a serial killer.
    If WW sucked so bad that she needed a 180° turn to be good, DC should just dump the character.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    Nonetheless, contrary to what some have said, War cannot create Peace.
    It can. /Roman Empire.
    "It is the dawn that brings the pain, the night that brings the dream."

"Come find me when you wake up."

Awesome concept, poor execution.

I love the idea of Diana being a god in the DCU. It elevates her in stature and should be putting an end to the questions regarding her power levels. I also find the concept of a warrior for peace now having to take on the duties of god of war to be a fascinating idea rich with story telling potential.

Sadly, however, Azzarello completely skipped over the 'what does it mean' part, and even though his gods were generally *very* powerful, Diana's abilities do not seemed to have changed at all. Here we are, well past the point of when she became gow, and still nobody knows what that means.

By contrast (because it's kinda an obvious contrast) look at the new Thor. God of thunder for just a few issues and already kicking butt, taking names and fully embracing the power that comes with the hammer.

So we have a character with an undefined title, undefined or absent new abilities, and an emotional basket case as a result of her gaining the title.

This could have been soooo much better

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    Awesome concept, poor execution.

I love the idea of Diana being a god in the DCU. It elevates her in stature and should be putting an end to the questions regarding her power levels. I also find the concept of a warrior for peace now having to take on the duties of god of war to be a fascinating idea rich with story telling potential.

Sadly, however, Azzarello completely skipped over the 'what does it mean' part, and even though his gods were generally *very* powerful, Diana's abilities do not seemed to have changed at all. Here we are, well past the point of when she became gow, and still nobody knows what that means.

By contrast (because it's kinda an obvious contrast) look at the new Thor. God of thunder for just a few issues and already kicking butt, taking names and fully embracing the power that comes with the hammer.

So we have a character with an undefined title, undefined or absent new abilities, and an emotional basket case as a result of her gaining the title.

This could have been soooo much better
    I largely agree with this point of view. I think there have been many missed opportunities and, despite liking the story Azzarello told, I feel like they have not fleshed out what being a god (much less God of War) really means in the DCU. I would really love to have a writer truly delve into what a GOD in the DCU really is and how a specific mantle (War, Love, Peace whatever) eventually affects the holder.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SofNascimento View Post
    It can. /Roman Empire.
    "They made a desolation, and they called it peace."

Yep. That's just about the only way war can bring "peace." When one side annihilates the other completely.

And there was no lasting peace in the Roman Empire. People kept on rebelling against Rome and even fought amongst themselves.
    Last edited by Vanguard-01; 02-25-2015 at 10:11 AM.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

BANNED

As said elsewhere;
    -An interesting development rich with posibilities for future stories
    -A very poor execution because DC writers can't seem to get over the Kratos-influence on the title

BANNED

This mantle suits Wonder Woman like a glove. People need to cease this simple-minded "war is evil" nonsense. I'm astonished that people who feel that way read Superhero comics. Superheroes are based around the morality of War as peace needs to be fought for. This paradox is no stranger to Wonder Woman. Everlasting peace is a silly, utopian dream that cannot be attained, it runs counter to the competitive, cyclical nature of life. I've always personally seen Wonder Woman as a pragmatist which totally differentiates her from Superman. Sure War is a heavy, painful burden but I trust Wonder Woman is tough enough to shoulder it.

But I suppose next time Brainiac invades the Earth, the Justice League should just watch him destroy it from the Watchtower, for War is unbecoming the likes of Wonder Woman, see how that works out for you

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    As said elsewhere;
    -An interesting development rich with posibilities for future stories
    -A very poor execution because DC writers can't seem to get over the Kratos-influence on the title
    Well the person both Kratos and Diana took the title from was characterized as a bloodthirsty sociopath. I don't like it but there is precedent for it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Well the person both Kratos and Diana took the title from was characterized as a bloodthirsty sociopath. I don't like it but there is precedent for it.
    Actually it was quite evident that Ares was overwhelmed and beaten by his burden.

Quote Originally Posted by Marquesse_de_Sade View Post
    Actually it was quite evident that Ares was overwhelmed and beaten by his burden.
    I was referring more to the classic portrayal of Ares from the myths.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I was referring more to the classic portrayal of Ares from the myths.
    okay gotcha

BANNED

Well for the right writers it can be very much like the new female thor, a change for explore the character in deep.

I think that Azzarello explained very well what it means for diana, but for sure he won't do the teacher thing. Diana is Diana, no title will matter, she will be herself on the end of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by SofNascimento View Post
    It can. /Roman Empire.
    conflict is a normal thing. my friends didn't liked when a professor said that in a organization shouldn't be serious discussions. There's a bunch of different people, sure clonflicts and discussions willl happen.

what heroes does: resolve conflicts, sometimes with punches (mostly with punches, c'mon). It fits well the character, problem is the execution
    Last edited by Blacksun; 02-25-2015 at 11:30 AM.