Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by oasis1313 View Post
    I like Terry, too. He IS Batman Beyond as far as I'm concerned. But Dan Didio is a big Tim Drake fan, and his vote outweighs tens of thousands of Terry fans.
    Then Didio can go ahead and get ready to cancel the book, because it won't get my purchase and all the other Terry fans are probably not gonna get it either. A lot of people already ain't really feeling it from what I've seen.

I've got nothing against Tim or his fans. Just don't know him, isn't my cup of tea and I don't want to frankly. Terry, on the other hand, is my third favorite character after Barry Allen and Zatanna. I only get Justice League right now, but a Terry book is 100% guarantee of my purchase.

To each their own I suppose and life will go on either way. I just kinda got my hopes up when I saw there was gonna be a Beyond book that's all. Nothing is in stone though.

Yeah Tim from what I read was poorly written imo. Like he got all pissy about someone talking about Wonder Girl but from what I read we don't know why and how close they were to have a reaction like that. I don't know.

When is Tim not badly written...

BANNED

Doesn't matter if he's badly written or not. Tim's biggest fanboys all draw paychecks from DC.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by JasonTodd428 View Post
    I find that hard to believe myself given how Tim Drake has been badly handled he's been since the reboot. He's gotten the short stick since then from his team, to his origin, to the writers that have been primarily responsible for the character's development since the reboot and all of that is on DC and editorial.
    QFT

10 characters.

Tim is often written badly or in a disjointed manner because writers can't tell the spiritual difference between him and Dick. In fact a lot of writers want to make Tim seem like a Burt Ward-ish Robin which I find to be highly offensive.
    There are certain ways that Tim can be interpreted. Any New-52 writer for Teen Titans so far has made him very Jason-like, YJ thought he was Dick Grayson, and it is seemingly looking like they are combining the two personalities in Future's End. I find it kind of offensive that writers nowadays don't realize or have the talent to write Tim as his own character and not a mirror of the other robins. Maybe reading up on some Marv Wolfman's interpretations would help, even Alan Grant.
    Tim is passionate, about what he does and about other people, and apparently writers are too afraid to show that.
    Heck Ted Kord

She/Her pronouns please

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    When is Tim not badly written...
    Marv Wolfman, Chuck Dixon, and Doug Moench all wrote him quite well.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hellagance View Post
    Tim is often written badly or in a disjointed manner because writers can't tell the spiritual difference between him and Dick. In fact a lot of writers want to make Tim seem like a Burt Ward-ish Robin which I find to be highly offensive.
    There are certain ways that Tim can be interpreted. Any New-52 writer for Teen Titans so far has made him very Jason-like, YJ thought he was Dick Grayson, and it is seemingly looking like they are combining the two personalities in Future's End. I find it kind of offensive that writers nowadays don't realize or have the talent to write Tim as his own character and not a mirror of the other robins. Maybe reading up on some Marv Wolfman's interpretations would help, even Alan Grant.
    Tim is passionate, about what he does and about other people, and apparently writers are too afraid to show that.
    I kind of agree with this. Tim's personality, as written, is often heavily affected by whatever character distinctions the writing team is trying to compare him to/or contrast with. In the 90's, the intent to separate him from Dick (and Jason) was so extreme, each Robin came off with a singular descriptor as if they were some boy band: the brainy one, the rebel, the jock etc. Dick's characterization and competency level took a beating in order to make room for Tim, but ultimately it was Dixon's determination to maintain a family life, a school life, and simply put--an entire supporting cast away from Batman--that really put Tim on the map and made his tenure as Robin so successful.

Problems really surfaced for Tim when Didio started chipping away at those qualities. His character was slowly morphing into a mini-Bruce Wayne, and less unique. I can't even tell what they're attempting to do with him in this reboot. He's a strange amalgam of a lot Robin elements.

As for Future's End, let's be real here--that is a garbage universe. There is absolutely no world-building taking place in those books other than to watch everything burn. Tim picked up a sweet gig, but in one of the worst settings being written in the new52. Fans may have to manage their expectations with those titles.

BANNED

I think Tim has been in more of a holding pattern, kept safe and insulated from any unhappiness or misfortune until his worshipers at DC Editorial can launch him into his next phase of glory. From a logical point of view, there really is no reason to keep him around anymore.

BANNED

I think this is the best Tim has been written in the entire New 52.

Quote Originally Posted by GrandKaiser View Post
    I think this is the best Tim has been written in the entire New 52.
    that is because Scott Lobdell has been writing him for most of it
    Heck Ted Kord

She/Her pronouns please

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Hellagance View Post
    that is because Scott Lobdell has been writing him for most of it
    Nice new avy!