Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    BANNED

He doesn't need a sidelining at all,all he needs is common sense to be brought back when they'd are using him.

About the Teen Titans,I HOPE it's that old Hulk trope where he is blamed for everything wherever he goes,and the Titans need to figure it out(maybe Manchester or star labs is behind it),and stand with him.

What DC should have done is

1- when they showed lex in kons brain,and teased as his human donor they should have stuck with it.

2- after they put him in Kals suit to heal him,they should have kept his TTK exactly like it was in the suit when he took it off,would have made sense that the suit healed him that way,and his powers would have been more tactile.

3-stop trying to make him into the ultimate oddball loner alien type character,make him embrace being on the planet and being a human,show him having fun again.

Extraordinary Member

The character seemed to have a stable and sometimes strong start in the New 52, but then the primary force behind his direction, Scott Lobdell, had a catastrophic turn during and after the Culling story he'd been building towards. I seriously doubt that the Jon Lane Kent thing was planned out at all; Lobdell's earliest interviews seemed to operate from the idea that his entire Teen Titans and Superboy corner of the New 52 shared the same kind-of-sort-of-sequel-continuity to the old continuity that his RHATO book had. And the JLK thing seems so much like it was thrown together for the WTF month.

Now, don't get me wrong, the first 6 or so issues of Supeboy weren't perfect. There were a lot of easily forgettable conflicts and antagonists, and the book still had a strong 1990s Marvel thing going on. But it's hd a consistent voice and interesting set up.

But like the rest of Lobdell's stories post culling nit featuring Jason Todd and the other outlaws, it probably needs to be completely forgotten.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Nicieza is giving us the real superboy very soon, if briefly. Still can't wait

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    The character seemed to have a stable and sometimes strong start in the New 52, but then the primary force behind his direction, Scott Lobdell, had a catastrophic turn during and after the Culling story he'd been building towards. I seriously doubt that the Jon Lane Kent thing was planned out at all; Lobdell's earliest interviews seemed to operate from the idea that his entire Teen Titans and Superboy corner of the New 52 shared the same kind-of-sort-of-sequel-continuity to the old continuity that his RHATO book had. And the JLK thing seems so much like it was thrown together for the WTF month.

Now, don't get me wrong, the first 6 or so issues of Supeboy weren't perfect. There were a lot of easily forgettable conflicts and antagonists, and the book still had a strong 1990s Marvel thing going on. But it's hd a consistent voice and interesting set up.

But like the rest of Lobdell's stories post culling nit featuring Jason Todd and the other outlaws, it probably needs to be completely forgotten.
    The original plan to have Superboy act as kind of a sequel-continuity was nixed quite a while before the first issue was released. So by that time the idea was done and he was operating on a genuine reboot level. Obviously that's not proof he was going for JLK, in fact now that I think about it that first issue had a strong insinuation of the Superman/Lex origin being retained into this origin, but by the time things were rolling, the idea of not really rebooting Kon on a level of say Batman or GL was concretely off the table.

BANNED

There is still time to change things though.his origin can still be simplified and changed to a more wide appealing one,there is no reason to keep going down this path when most want something else.

The new 52 Kon has the makings of a great Kon,he has the intelligence,the tactile sense,he even has a much more unique way of explaining his powers and the way his body works,he can be saved easily,DC just needs to do it,and before more damage is done.

Incredible Member

I liked the new Superboy. I thought the series was on a really good path as he was figuring out how to be a superhero. I liked his supporting cast, especially Rose Wilson. It did flame out though at around issue 16 or so. The title lost me as soon as he hooked back up with the Teen Titans and they had some boring silly story about going to the future and Superboy getting replaced with his original self or some such nonsense.

Liked the first arc. Droped around issue 9. Picked up his origin book, and a few issues when The true Superboy from the future comes back to our time. Over all i like them. Not as much as the old Superboy, but i like them.

BANNED

Jon could have been erased just like cir-el was years ago,and things could have been changed for the better,but DC is obsessed with being different instead of what will actually work and be more popular.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by stephens2177 View Post
    Jon could have been erased just like cir-el was years ago,and things could have been changed for the better,but DC is obsessed with being different instead of what will actually work and be more popular.
    I have No Faith in DC saving Superboy. Jon should've never had been created. The only thing DC has been good at doing is Junking Superboy/Kon up. I like the 52 version, but for me i don't want Lex as a rehash to the other Superboy i loved in Pre-52. Superboy in my Minds eye, should have the powers he has now, though some should be Kryptonian i think.

Just read Karl Kesal's run of Superboy.

It feels like a marvel character but it's decent.

Spectacular Member

Superboy does not have a clear voice in its stories.All that is needed is stick with a clear theme.They are going to probably soft reboot him at some point but i think they need to keep some elements

1.Clone of Lex and Superman.I think that brings interesting relationships with Superman and lex. If they play up the Superman not being comfortable with that with out Supes coming off as huge d.You can tell great stories. If Luther intellect is played up in him i think that's a great angle to go

2. On run from Cadmus or Nowhere is a solid theme to keep going back too.It gives a easy villian pool

3.The black suit and tactical Tk.I think the ultimate goal when you make these characters is to make these characters their own brand ala Nightwing or Arsenal. I liked the "temporary" black lab suit and TK that made him his own character. I know people like the mini superman route.I like that He had potential be amazing TK user i know DC might have other people with TK but a "superman" level TK is great niche.

Superman boy in Nu52 i thought was solid if they didn't M.Night Shyamalan themselves with nessary big idea poorly excute plot twist It would have been better.
    Last edited by Luck911; 03-08-2015 at 03:49 PM.

I used to hope he would be retconned into being Superman and Shay Veritas' clone. I had another idea though.

You use him for a few months experiencing odd bouts of clumsiness now and again. Almost like early symptoms of what someone with ALS might experience. Leave it as a reoccurring thing every once in a while for a few months, with his friends looking into what might be causing it, then as the condition worsens, realize that its specifically his legs that are the problem. He's losing his ability to walk. Then the big reveal: he's part Lena Luthor, and he's inheriting her disease. And Lex has to deal with the idea that, however technical and impersonal, his beloved sister, probably the only person Lex actually cares about shares a kid in a sense with his worst enemy. Draaaamaaaa.

Quote Originally Posted by LifeIsILL View Post
    Just read Karl Kesal's run of Superboy.

It feels like a marvel character but it's decent.
    That book was so fun. I don't think the character has been able to recapture that magic ever since.
    Last edited by Pharozonk; 03-08-2015 at 04:32 PM.
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

Not since Johns screwed him up, nope.

BANNED

The kesel runs fun and character story telling
    Geoffs badass conner
    And lobdells smart and very powerful kon

Add those together to soft reboot the kid.

I would take one of these for his dna origin
    Mutated clone of superman
    Hybrid of kal and Lexus
    Morrisons all star superman secondus idea with Lois as mother

His look either
    black tshirt and jeans with black fingerless gloves plus a black leather jacket
    Or
    Titans of tomorrow adult kon suit MINUS the long sleeves and cape,add fingerless gloves and a leather jacket

Powers
    TTK that grows over time from YJ levels of jumping brick with a few tactile mimicked senses to a flying superman who controls and senses everything around him.

Can I plz just write the dang book for DC,they don't seem to be able to pinpoint what makes him great