Default Noah Berlatsky: Lengthy critique against Milestone Comics

http://www.hoodedutilitarian.com/201...genre-product/

Personally, I'm taking this with a grain of salt, since he's mainly just reading the Static comics.

What I really find interesting though, is the discussion in the comments section.

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Well, there's two thoughts that immediately come to mind when I read Noah's post:

1) Yeah, Static wasn't a groundbreaking comic from a craft standpoint. It was also not Milestone's best comic, and to a certain extent, was following the formula established by Ditko/Lee's ASM. However, to place it within its historical context, it was pretty excellent in comparison to the bulk of superhero comics released in that period of the 1990s. (JP Leon's art insures that.) It's the fourth or fifth best Milestone book behind Xombi, Blood Syndicate, and Icon (and maybe Shadow Cabinet, depending on how I'm feeling that day.)

2) In another historical context, Static, along with the rest of the Milestone line, was a groundbreaking moment for representation in comics. It was also firmly entrenched in the mainstream/commercial end of the industry, an area which tends to play things safe. The very fact that Milestone existed at all is something of an achievement in such a conservative end of the industry. Even though I'm not particularly a big fan of superhero comics, I do think that Noah's putdown of Static suggests a putdown of the genre in general, not Static or Milestone specifically. However, the genre, particularly on the level of the Big Two (which as a DC partner, Milestone was certainly part of), has its tropes and standards, and it's rare for any book they publish to exceed them. I don't expect an issue of Static to be at the level of Love and Rockets; I do expect it to be better than your average superhero comic, which it was, in my opinion.

BANNED

I don't think just reading the first few issues of Static is enough to develop any kind of intelligent critique of the entire Milestone line. Static wasn't to my tastes, either, but I thought Blood Syndicate and Xombi were some of the best comics of their era. Xombi was especially brilliant.

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Hopkins View Post
    I don't think just reading the first few issues of Static is enough to develop any kind of intelligent critique of the entire Milestone line. Static wasn't to my tastes, either, but I thought Blood Syndicate and Xombi were some of the best comics of their era. Xombi was especially brilliant.
    Blood Syndicate. Blood Pack was the name of an especially bad DC mini published in that time frame. Lots of people make that error, though. As punishment, they should have to read Blood Pack.

500px-Bloodpack01.jpg

Young heroes are usually more interesting than the older folks. They follow the rules less. That doesn't mean they are criminals but, they go against what might be the better judgement of older folks. They are more "wowed" by their powers. They experiment more, sometimes in a stupid way but, usually an interesting way. They have more fun with their powers. They are showy powers. Nova and Ms. Marvel have this going for them right now.

Static made it to the big time. He is the most well known of the Milestone characters. Some people read success as sellout.

He really seems to be a fan of Ms. Marvel though.

Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

Like everyone said, Static isn't even the best Milestone offered but I'd also add that collection isn't even the best of Static.

It's more than a little stupid to write off an entire company based on not liking one trade but that's nothing I can fix with a comment.

Snap judgments are kind of NB's thing.