Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Who Should Direct The Next Spider-Man Film?

A big question that hasn't been discussed as much with the upcoming MCU Spider-Man is who the Director should be.

It's probably not be Marc Webb, if only because a clean break is needed from ASM2.

So, who should the Director be?

There seem to be two schools of thought. One suggests that it's better to have a Director who can excel at the interactions between the main characters (like Whedon, Gunn and the Russo brothers) leaving the special effects to even more anonymous filmmakers.

Raimi's Spider-Man, Singer's X-Men and Nolan's Batman do suggest advantages to name directors.

Do you guys have any preferences?
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Russo brothers...I finally watched Winter Soldier for the first time, and that is the best Marvel movie I've seen yet (even better than Guardians and Avengers).

They excel at balancing serious earnest threat drama (with great villain work), humor (but not too much!), action, and spot on character interaction.

Raimi's balance was off a bit. And Robogoblin just didn't work for me.

Balance is the key to comic movies. So many leave me cold because they're not balanced.

[mind you, I'm not factoring in that the Russos couldn't do it, because they're too busy...I'm leaving that consideration out]
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 02-14-2015 at 01:40 PM.

Joe Cornish, the director of the brilliant youth oriented sci-fi actioner Attack the Block. His raw energetic style blended with touching character moments and quirky characterizations are perfect for an MCU Spidey film.

Stephen Chbosky, the writer and director of one of the best coming of age films in recent years, The Perks of Being a Wallflower, is also a great choice, especially if the star of that film, Logan Lerman, is selected to play Peter. Chbosky has no experience directing a superhero blockbuster but neither did Webb when he was given the Amazing Spider-Man franchise, and everyone agrees that direction was not the problem with those films.

The Russos are handling too much so it's not feasible for them to take on Spider duties as well. Edgar Wright, who would have been perfect for Spidey, is out as well because of his falling out with Marvel over Ant-Man.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they gave it to Drew Goddard. Goddard was supposed to do the Daredevil Netflix show but left to do Sinister Six (a project that they claim is still in development but I have my doubts).

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they gave it to Drew Goddard. Goddard was supposed to do the Daredevil Netflix show but left to do Sinister Six (a project that they claim is still in development but I have my doubts).
    I've seen his name thrown around as well, though I'm not sure whether there would be any bad blood with Marvel due to that or not.

I honestly wouldn't mind the Russos, but I imagine they'll be far too busy to take the time to do it. I do recall some rumor of them being interested in producing it so maybe that could be a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Voror View Post
    I've seen his name thrown around as well, though I'm not sure whether there would be any bad blood with Marvel due to that or not.
    No idea. But the films Goddard has worked on have done well.

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    Russo brothers...I finally watched Winter Soldier for the first time, and that is the best Marvel movie I've seen yet (even better than Guardians and Avengers).

They excel at balancing serious earnest threat drama (with great villain work), humor (but not too much!), action, and spot on character interaction.

Raimi's balance was off a bit. And Robogoblin just didn't work for me.

Balance is the key to comic movies. So many leave me cold because they're not balanced.

[mind you, I'm not factoring in that the Russos couldn't do it, because they're too busy...I'm leaving that consideration out]
    They'd be good choices. However, scuttlebutt is they're going to be directing Avengers 3 and 4, with Whedon going back to his own creations.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    I could see it. The problem is that it might seem a little small if the guy who was supposed to make lesser projects (in terms of prestige) goes on to make something this major. I don't know if a solo Spider-Man film is a plausible project for someone best known as Whedon's #2 guy.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

I love Attack The Block. Great action & characterization.

Joe Cornish is a very fine nomination to direct Spider-Man, based on that film.

Spectacular Member rhymeswithparc's Avatar

I'm not sure if he'd do it but Joseph Gordon Levitt would be good, I think. Maybe also Phil Lord and Chris Miller. They've done comedy and know their way around action movies which is why I think they'd be perfect.

Reggie Hudlin, Antoine Fuqua, Justin Lin.

BANNED

I'd love to see what Vince Gilligan would do with the character.

Another long shot, but Birdman director Alejandro González Iñárritu made that movie with some real visual flair that would be great for Spider-man.

All-New Member

JJ Abrahms

He's probably swamped with Star Wars, but he is inside the Disney family right now, and as directors go, he pretty much nails everything he has touched lately.. er film-wise. I guess the latest Star Wars will tell that tale.

BANNED

If he's on any sort of short-list, it's probably at the bottom, but I'd consider Richard Linklater, director and writer of Boyhood.

Also just to see if he's willing to try and replicate the actual science experiment that bestowed Peter with spider-powers just for the sake of authenticity.

Someone with a clear vision and direction for what HIS/HER Spider-Man film should be like, and not some hired gun working off the tone and stories established in a huge set of earlier, unrelated movies. Which looks unlikely.

Anyway, to name some names, I'd still like to see Duncan Jones' take on a superhero (he was up for Man of Steel before Snyder got the gig), and, if he was paired with a strong writer, I think Guillermo del Toro could make a prety great Spider-Man movie as well.

Lars Von Trier, of course.

The Existential Spider-Man.