Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Default Spider-man's MCU race

I reading some articles today about Spider-man's race in the MCU. Some people seem to want Mile Morales. Some want Peter Parker. Some ask why Peter Can't be black.

It dawned on me that there is a dichotomy between black and white. I think the conversation should be opened to other races beyond black and white. I really think that it would be cool if Peter were half Asian and white (to get the Parker name). I mean if you think about it, of all the things that makes spider-man, spider-man, his race is probably least important. What do you think?

Since from the rumors it seems that Marvel and Sony are looking to have a black Spider-man, the question I have is, would you rather have a black Peter Parker or have Marvel go with Miles in the MCU?

Quote Originally Posted by Acecool View Post
    I reading some articles today about Spider-man's race in the MCU. Some people seem to want Mile Morales. Some want Peter Parker. Some ask why Peter Can't be black.

It dawned on me that there is a dichotomy between black and white. I think the conversation should be opened to other races beyond black and white. I really think that it would be cool if Peter were half Asian and white (to get the Parker name). I mean if you think about it, of all the things that makes spider-man, spider-man, his race is probably least important. What do you think?

Since from the rumors it seems that Marvel and Sony are looking to have a black Spider-man, the question I have is, would you rather have a black Peter Parker or have Marvel go with Miles in the MCU?
    I do agree very much that Asian and Latinos need far more representation in the MCU; I support an Asian Spider-Man 100% I'd support a black Spiderman too; but Asians and Latinos need far more representation/support when it comes to the MCU.

I'd also support an openly gay Spider-Man dating Flash; since the MCU is void of ANY LGBT representation
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 02-26-2015 at 12:49 AM.

I'm sorry, but Peter Parker is white. He's also straight. If they want to use a non-white Spider-Man, they should use Miles. Though that would still be a mistake as Peter Parker is the one true Spider-Man.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    I'm sorry, but Peter Parker is white. He's also straight. If they want to use a non-white Spider-Man, they should use Miles. Though that would still be a mistake as Peter Parker is the one true Spider-Man.
    You're talking comic Spider-Man; MCU characters are not bound by comic canon (as depicted by nearly every character in the MCU). Having Spider-Man in the MCU be gay and Asian contradicts exactly ZERO MCU film canon

BANNED

I prefer All-White Peter Parker. Changing his race would be a disaster.

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    You're talking comic Spider-Man; MCU characters are not bound by comic canon (as depicted by nearly every character in the MCU). Having Spider-Man in the MCU be gay and Asian contradicts exactly ZERO MCU film canon
    They are adaptions of characters from comic canon. It would not remotely be the same character if Peter Parker if the character was Asian, gay, and caught in a love triangle with Greg Stacy and Marvin James Watson.

BANNED

They are adaptions of characters from comic canon. It would not remotely be the same character if Peter Parker if the character was Asian, gay, and caught in a love triangle with Greg Stacy and Marvin James Watson.
    A very good point.

Currently MagSeven

Well that's because it wouldn't be the same character.

Adapting, by definition, means things will be changed. Spider-Man is less bound by his race or sexuality than Hawkeye is by his good nature and humour (which the MCU "adapted" into a gruff, humourless man).

Adapting, by definition, means things will be changed. Spider-Man is less bound by his race or sexuality than Hawkeye is by his good nature and humour (which the MCU "adapted" into a gruff, humourless man).
    Appearance is a very important aspect when adapting characters from a visual medium. Changing that in an extreme way is merely disregarding the part the artist had in the character's creation.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Acecool View Post

I agree completely. Like I said in another thread, even in the comics miles morales was described as mixed black/latino but was drawn as essentially a black kid. If he was as mixed as was suggested from the depictions of his father/mother he would probably look a lot closer to this:

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m4...m9yeo2_400.jpg

Where are the indian/persian looking characters? There is a lot more in this world than just white/black. I think they should expand outward when it comes to background, if they want to keep a constant, do what all tv/film casting does unless the character calls for something different. Cast good looking. That's what everyone prefers seeing on screen unless the character calls for being ugly or frumpy or gruff looking.

And to those PC people saying that appearance like looks should not matter in tv/film. Look at this image and tell me with a straight face that it does not matter.

http://img2.bdbphotos.com/images/ori...v.jpg?djet1p5k

Tell me you were not pulled out of the scenes because her aesthetic appeal did not match the person she was supposed to play. Acting be damned.

I wouldn't mind a new Spider-Man. Asian why not, or Indian.

That wouldn't change a lot of things on the Spider-Man side, but that could be very interesting on the Peter Parker side of the equation if i dare say, whatever the name of the new kid is.

Appearance is a very important aspect when adapting characters from a visual medium. Changing that in an extreme way is merely disregarding the part the artist had in the character's creation.
    As long as he looks like this (SEE: below); I think it doesn't matter about the unimportant appearance of what colour his skin is under the mask; or whether he fancies boys or girls. Peter Parker being white is an important as Bond being blonde (which, as we know, didn't effect the box office pull).

Quote Originally Posted by GoingPostal View Post
    I wouldn't mind a new Spider-Man. Asian why not, or Indian.

That wouldn't change a lot of things on the Spider-Man side, but that could be very interesting on the Peter Parker side of the equation if i dare say, whatever the name of the new kid is.
    Agreed. An Asian Peter Parker can still be called Peter Parker. An Asian Peter Parker can still be bullied at school for being a nerd. A gay Peter Parker can still pine for the high-school heartthrob who is out of his league, but who he wins over anyway through the goodness of his heart. "With great power, comes great responsibility." The death of Uncle Ben. The Green Goblin. The hatred by J.Jonah Jameson... none of that is effected by his skin colour or his sexuality. It's immaterial. It'll still be Spiderman on screen.

I'm a big supporter of keeping keystone characters as close to their original depiction as possible, as I have said numerous times on these boards. If you are going to go with Peter Parker as Spiderman, then he is a white kid.

I have also, however, said many times around here that I would actually prefer the MCU Spiderman to be Miles Morales. If for no other reason than it being a clear cut difference from Sony's Spiderman films.
    I co-host a podcast about comics. Mostly it's X-Men comics of the 90's.

Billy and Dan Read Comics!

As long as he looks like this (SEE: below); I think it doesn't matter about the unimportant appearance of what colour his skin is under the mask; or whether he fancies boys or girls. Peter Parker being white is an important as Bond being blonde (which, as we know, didn't effect the box office pull).

/Thread

Though Peter is one of the few cases where I'd be somewhat resistant to a race change. Anything that pisses off racists is good for me, but there's already really good minority heroes in the franchise like Miles Morales and Miguel O'Hara who I feel could be used if the whole point is wanting a more diverse Spider-Man.