Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default Poll: Do You Want To See Peter Parker or Miles Morales Join the Marvel Cinematic U?

Do You Want To See Peter Parker or Miles Morales Join the Marvel Cinematic U?

Rumors continue to swirl that Marvel and Sony are looking to make some major changes when Spider-Man joins the MCU. Do you want to see Peter Parker's return, or Miles Morales' debut?

Vote on the poll here.

We already know the plan has been for Parker, and yet this debate has raged non-stop since the Marvel/Sony sharing agreement. Why?
    Why do we keep having this debate when we know their plan is more Parker, and maybe Morales comes in after 3 or 4 movies?

Miles 100% We've had 5 movies of Parker, this is a perfect chance to use Miles. Sony can keep making Parker films while the MCU makes Miles films. Win/win.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    We already know the plan has been for Parker, and yet this debate has raged non-stop since the Marvel/Sony sharing agreement. Why?
    Why do we keep having this debate when we know their plan is more Parker, and maybe Morales comes in after 3 or 4 movies?
    Because there's nothing wrong with hoping for better things.

I'd pick Miles by miles.

Peter's had 5 movies. OK, he wasn't all that great in the past two, but that only adds to my feelings that I'm kind of Parker'ed out for the time being. And even within the comicbooks themselves, Slott's Peter is really just a comedy douche with all the likeability of Screech out of Saved by the Bell right now.

If this Spidey is going to have a future in the MCU, I'd much rather it be a Spidey who I'd welcome in ensemble movie, rather than one I had to endure/tolerate. And right now, Parker is the more likely candidate to fall into the latter category.

Amazing Member

If only there were ways to do both...

Miles. Time for new blood.

BANNED

I want the sweet ass red on black costume. I want the superhero-phobic father. I want the super villain uncle. I want the charter school with the best friend. I want the venom blast & the camouflage. I want Spider-Man. I want Miles Morales in the MCU.

Spectacular Member

Peter for the first trilogy. Kill off Peter and have Miles for the second. It's how it happens in Ultimate Spider-Man.

But we DON'T know their plan is to use Peter, or if they've even decided on that part of the plan. One quote in the press release refers to the character as Peter Parker, but I think people trying to use such little information to answer so many questions has placed a disproportionate amount of significance on all minor aspects of the release. I think the wording in that quote probably amounts to little more than one guy not wanting to say "Spider-Man" for the zillionth time in 5 paragraphs, especially since it comes from Doug Belgrad, not anyone more closely involved like Kevin Feige or even Amy Pascal. There were those early reports of a couple white actors being looked at, but I think this has to be a situation where every male actor under 30 is gunning for that part, and those are the ones we've heard of but it's impossible to say if they're leaning one way or another. (Though of course Wrap reporter Jeff Sneider has said he's "heard they're leaning ethnic" for what it's worth.)

I think Miles would be awesome, and would personally make me a lot more excited as it'd be a pretty clear statement that they're wanting to do something new. You could still do it without a big origin story, even borrow some Parker-centric peripheral elements like your Daily Bugles and Flash Thompsons and what have you, but we've heard they're looking to do high school age, focusing more on the conflict between personal life and superhero life than a romantic story, and Bendis' Miles story so far is a perfect model for that. Very much in the spirit of what made Lee and Ditko's Spidey the character we love, but totally contemporary in execution. (Not just superficially, but in tone, the dialogue.. some of Bendis' best stuff for sure. The right screenwriter/director(s) could make an amazing movie in that vein...)

Miles but I'd like if they could somehow do both. Maybe an adult, more mature Peter as a mentor.

Quote Originally Posted by Vworp Vworp View Post
    Because there's nothing wrong with hoping for better things.

I'd pick Miles by miles.
    To each their own, both have their fans, but I wouldn't say either is better than the other. You feel Miles is better, but many would debate that point.

Peter's had 5 movies. OK, he wasn't all that great in the past two, but that only adds to my feelings that I'm kind of Parker'ed out for the time being. And even within the comicbooks themselves, Slott's Peter is really just a comedy douche with all the likeability of Screech out of Saved by the Bell right now.
    First off, I wouldn't argue Peter having 5 movies means Miles should get new ones. If a character is successful, why not continue with him for as long as he can hold a franchise? If it makes a profit, Peter could have a hundred movies and it bear no impact on whether Miles should or shouldn't. Secondly, these 5 films have two separate continuities, and none of them are MCU. It'd make more sense for Miles, a legacy character, to only take up said legacy after the particular MCU version he's taking over from has been established. Otherwise a lot of the point is missed.

If this Spidey is going to have a future in the MCU, I'd much rather it be a Spidey who I'd welcome in ensemble movie, rather than one I had to endure/tolerate. And right now, Parker is the more likely candidate to fall into the latter category.
    And why is a new Parker more likely be someone you would have to tolerate than than an MCU Miles? Movie Miles will probably have as many differences/problems away from the comic Miles as a MCU Peter will have.

Spectacular Member

Plans change and Marvel is not adverse to taking risks with the movies. Miles is a WAY more interesting choice.

Quote Originally Posted by TOTALITY View Post
    But we DON'T know their plan is to use Peter, or if they've even decided on that part of the plan.
    I'm not going to try looking it up, but I remember some quotes or something alluding to it. I'd also argue that is the most sensible and obvious plan, but fans of Miles don't like that.

One quote in the press release refers to the character as Peter Parker, but I think people trying to use such little information to answer so many questions has placed a disproportionate amount of significance on all minor aspects of the release.
    So you know the quote, good. It isn't that people are using such little information, it is that that is the only information, and people who want Miles over Peter prefer to argue that front because of their own preference. Or at least that is my take. The quote says Peter, until something more official comes down it makes sense to just assume it will be Peter.

I think the wording in that quote probably amounts to little more than one guy not wanting to say "Spider-Man" for the zillionth time in 5 paragraphs, especially since it comes from Doug Belgrad, not anyone more closely involved like Kevin Feige or even Amy Pascal. There were those early reports of a couple white actors being looked at, but I think this has to be a situation where every male actor under 30 is gunning for that part, and those are the ones we've heard of but it's impossible to say if they're leaning one way or another. (Though of course Wrap reporter Jeff Sneider has said he's "heard they're leaning ethnic" for what it's worth.)
    That's not really enough to make me assume Miles. That sounds more like a rumor right now.

I think Miles would be awesome, and would personally make me a lot more excited as it'd be a pretty clear statement that they're wanting to do something new. You could still do it without a big origin story, even borrow some Parker-centric peripheral elements like your Daily Bugles and Flash Thompsons and what have you, but we've heard they're looking to do high school age, focusing more on the conflict between personal life and superhero life than a romantic story, and Bendis' Miles story so far is a perfect model for that. Very much in the spirit of what made Lee and Ditko's Spidey the character we love, but totally contemporary in execution. (Not just superficially, but in tone, the dialogue.. some of Bendis' best stuff for sure. The right screenwriter/director(s) could make an amazing movie in that vein...)
    None of that has any bearing on whether they'll do him over Peter for Marvel's first own Spider-Man. It's all just preference.

Sorry my response isn't as well thought out as it might otherwise be, my arguing gets simpler the less energy I have.

Quote Originally Posted by MJ Tanner View Post
    Plans change and Marvel is not adverse to taking risks with the movies. Miles is a WAY more interesting choice.
    Interesting why?
    And while Marvel might take risks, why this particular risk?

All-New Member

My heart says Peter, but I have a few issues of Miles first appearance. Either way I'm sure it'll be good.