Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by edhopper View Post
    I understand their point, and much of the way superheroes are drawn is unrealistic, Especially women.
    That said, most heroes would look like Olympic level or top pro athletes.
    I doubt Cap would ever look like anything but the most fit-buff man on earth.
    Alex Ross usually shows Heroes in a more realistic fashion, without every muscle detail etched in their costume.
    I agree with your post.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Trident View Post
    I'm not sure the point is clear enough. The article seems to be stating that people shouldn't be concisous of their bodies when in comparison of fictional characters.

But if you are a person who has trouble with your body portions never being equal to a Amazonia warrior or a man in a metal suit then your "issues" really lay somewhere else. Because even if that person could reach those fictional porportions, or even if they thought they could, those individuals would still be unsastified in most cases. Which in return makes pointing the fact out that normal individuals in most cases will never reach fictional body proportions almost a "duh" statement.
    The context is clearer if you click through to the original site. This is to raise awareness of people with bulimia, who do have problems seeing why their bodies might not reach ideal proportions. To the point where they hurt themselves. It's not a "duh" statement in that context, it's a brilliant way of letting people lucky enough not to be bulimic see an illustration of these damaging unobtainable goals.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Hopkins View Post
    The context is clearer if you click through to the original site. This is to raise awareness of people with bulimia, who do have problems seeing why their bodies might not reach ideal proportions. To the point where they hurt themselves. It's not a "duh" statement in that context, it's a brilliant way of letting people lucky enough not to be bulimic see an illustration of these damaging unobtainable goals.
    However, like I stated in my post the problem isn't the fiictional characters. Not trying to be mean or offensive but the characters are fictional. If someone is really trying to reach prportions of fictional characters changing how they are drawn will not solve their problem.

To add without getting to deep into this...

You're basicly saying to a certain extent that because certain people with self image issues think that their issues are caused or influenced by the way certain characters look then Creators should make them look more like "real" people. Ok what about those people who used comic characters to motivate them to be the best they could be? Or those who inspire to be better? But do it in a way that isn't unheathly. Are they less important that the person who suffers from an eating disorder?

I personally don't think so. I also think that if someone has an issue with how the medium is drawn that they have a choice to not partake in that medium and they should use that right. They shouldn't expect something to change to suit their world view if the medium in question is legal. Superheroes in general is about the "ideal" human being. It's about being greater than what a man can achieve. If someone can't handle that due to mental or even physical reasons they should abstain from it.
    Last edited by Trident; 02-27-2015 at 02:22 PM.

It's been fun. Toodles. Paradox's Avatar

Trident immediately takes offense:

Nice.

So you think comic fandom is filled with ignorant boys due your claim of the base being made of "insular boys club" ?
    Where do you get that? First of all, "insular" doesn't mean ignorant in that context. It means along the lines of "keeps to their own little corner"...related to insulated, "protected from the outside". "Not wanting anyone else in". And "boys club" doesn't mean literal boys, it means exclusively or predominantly male. While we're pulling my sentences apart, let's also note that I'm talking about the ENTRENCHED part of the fanbase, not the whole fanbase.

But for curiosities sake what exactly do you want or think needs to be changed? Should most superheroes in the medium be overweight due Americas obesity problem? Should they have poor skin and bad hair due the chemicals most Americans consume everyday without realzing it? What exactly do you want from the medium so that the fanbase can no longer be ingrnoant oversized boys and come to the supposed "light"?
    I already did this.

Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
    Repeating what I said on Facebook (I'm lazy, sue me. ):

I think they went a tad far. It makes the point, but not practical for actual use. You can have idealization without going as far as "anorexic sex giraffes" (tm Pol Rua) all over the place. Room in the central torso for internal organs, that's all I've ever asked!!!

And also, Pol reminded me, not basketball halves strapped to a prepubescent boy's chest.
    'Dox out.

"It’s cold and it’s mean-spirited and I don’t like it here anymore." - Alan Moore

"Can it, you nit!" - Violet Beauregard

"And Paradox is never correct. About anything."- Kid Omega

The Conclave group page on Primus (a work in progress)
    Champions: The Conclave (an updating Facebook Gallery)
    Decorum & Friends (A City of Heroes archive)

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by lancerman View Post
    Psylocke and Pheonix are the bests because they took an image that is clearly distorted beyond the realm of realism to more normal.

But there definition of realistic seems to equal fatter. Batman isn't going to have a guy. Wonder Woman and Poison Ivy aren't going to have flab hanging over their uniform. They are still athletes and in shape people for the most part. The orginal Wonder Woman image isn't even unrealistic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
    Repeating what I said on Facebook (I'm lazy, sue me. ):

I think they went a tad far. It makes the point, but not practical for actual use. You can have idealization without going as far as "anorexic sex giraffes" (tm Pol Rua) all over the place. Room in the central torso for internal organs, that's all I've ever asked!!!

And also, Pol reminded me, not basketball halves strapped to a prepubescent boy's chest.
    Agreed. Variety of builds and female shapes with more than a passing resemblance to human anatomy are desirable, but the whole superhero thing normally includes a fair bit of working out and there is no shame in reflecting that as well.

(my normal refrain is for artists to refer athletes rather than centerfolds)