Page 1 of 100 123451151 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Runaways Appreciation 2018

Appreciation thread for the Runaways

Who is your favorite Runaway?

Favorite storyline?

How were you introduced to them.

For me, the answers to the above are Victor Mancha, his debut storyline, and checking out said storyline from the library

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

Generally don't pick favourites. I enjoy pretty much all of them on one level or another and having more or less grown up with the series I found myself liking different characters for different reasons as I got older.

The "True Believers" opening arc of Volume 2.

"Civil War Young Avengers/Runaways #2". It was on a spinner rack at a local corner store. I later found that the local Wal-Mart regularly got in the "Marvel Tales" flip magazine on a monthly basis that was presently re-printing Volume one of "Runaways" as well as some early 2000s "Amazing Spider-Man" and after a few months of that I got a mail subscription to the main series from Marvel. In hindsight getting the 24 issue subscription was a mistake as that was just before BKV left and there was less than 24 issues in the remainder of volume 2 and the entirety of volume 3. This was all before I could go to any comic shop with any regularity.

1. Nico's my personal favorites, although I love everyone.

2. Both volumes of BKV's run are near and dear to me, and it's hard to pick one.

3. I found the first omnibus at a college library and decided to give it a try. Best decision I ever made.

My favorite members are Nico and Karolina, both are awesome!!!

All the work of BKV is amazing, I can't say which one is my favorite arc.

I started to see good critics and read about the characters on internet and I bought the first issues in a comic book shop. One of the best decisions in all my life.

Still my favourite marvel comic series of all time.

BKV is great at writing stories that focus on characters and people. Vaughan takes all the fun stuff from marvel but puts the focus on the story where it matters. I wish I was better with words so I could write a decent review xD, the runaways comics were always just right for me, its both fun/light hearted and deep at the same time.

I found out about it when I was first getting into marvel. A lot of the long established series were pretty difficult to get into. I heard the runaways was a new series starting and gave it ago. I read the first few volumes and loved them.

Chase Stein is my fave. I like his lovable idiot attitude. Though, while im enjoying the series, Im still not a fan of his weird image and attitude change in avengers undercover.
    Last edited by CartooN; 05-17-2014 at 01:13 PM.

Okay, same old song and dance when it comes to discussion on a long cancelled, short-lived title with a bunch of fans. Who would we all like to see take over the book in a hypothetical re-launch of the series? And how would you pitch it?

And it can't be Brian K. Vaughan on writing duties, it's just not going to happen under any realistic set of circumstances.

Who is your favorite Runaway?
    Victor Mancha; love his powers and attitude.

Favorite storyline?
    Probably for overall succinct story, I adore Joss Whedon's 6 issue run, such a great story.

How were you introduced to them
    I started with volume 2, after randomly picking up the comic and liking the art.

Quote Originally Posted by Personamanx View Post
    Okay, same old song and dance when it comes to discussion on a long cancelled, short-lived title with a bunch of fans. Who would we all like to see take over the book in a hypothetical re-launch of the series? And how would you pitch it?

And it can't be Brian K. Vaughan on writing duties, it's just not going to happen under any realistic set of circumstances.
    Yost did some of the tie-in and cross over issues for the Runaways (the Molly/Xmen issues and I think the secret invasion stuff), they were all good and I'd happily see him continue with the Runaways. It needs to be a character focused writer, not some whacky guy who wants to take the runaways to space or something.

Nico is my favorite out of the bunch with Victor as a sentimental favorite.

Recently saw a collection coming out soon on Amazon, I've already preordered it.

Quote Originally Posted by CartooN View Post
    Yost did some of the tie-in and cross over issues for the Runaways (the Molly/Xmen issues and I think the secret invasion stuff), they were all good and I'd happily see him continue with the Runaways. It needs to be a character focused writer, not some whacky guy who wants to take the runaways to space or something.
    I could definitely dig Yost on the titles. He does some pretty solid work and has shown to get the characters down fairly well.

I'd like to see Nick Spencer take a crack at them. He's a fan and he writes some pretty snappy characterization. As long as he can keep his LOST-esque plotting habits in check I think he could make a great writer for the characters.

One of the best series of all time. I almost decided to never read it but now I'm glad I didn't.

It's hard to choose between them ,especially because I have three characters that tie equally as the best of the best but if I have to pick an order, it would be Nico at first, Victor as a close second and Chase at third place.

I consider "Dead means dead" and "Live fast" as only one story so that would be the best.

People may not like my story but the only reason I ended up getting the first two volumes was because of Avengers Arena. I had already heard many things about the series before, but it wasn't until they appeared in Avengers Academy that I first read them. Those issues were a disaster. They were written as really annoying kids and I ended up somewhat disliking them. Sometime after, I decided to read Arena and met them again in issue 4. The introduction of their story by Chase as well as the way him and Nico were written picked my interest on them again (ironically the Academy kids were the ones badly written on that issue). It wasn't until issue 10 of Arena (the best issue of the series in my opinion) that I decided to search for the old stories and I'm really glad I did. Some of the best stories ever written. I gave those Academy issues away and now pretend they never happened.

The Academy issues are a really bad introduction to the "Runaways" characters. To be fair almost every character in Academy had devolved into a caricature of themselves by that point in the series but it's like Gage took the worst aspects of all of the "Runaways" played them up to Eleven and was then praised for his execution. Just an embarrassing set of issues really.

It's glad to see that despite all the hate the series got Arena succeeding in drumming up some interest in the "Runaways" though.

Arena really did put a lot more focus on Nico and raised her profile. Undercover is certainly continuing in that direction. Probably why Marvel is doing that Runway complete collection.

If it were to get relaunched, I'd like to see Yost write it.

A "Runaways" complete collection you say?

Karolina is my favorite of them. I love her design and I like the name Lucy in the Sky. It just gave off a very different feel from most other superhuman aliases.

I was introduced to them when I picked up the first issue of volume 2. I wasn't really feeling it then, but I recently went back and read everything from the beginning on Marvel Unlimited and really enjoyed it.