Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Extraordinary Member

Default Runaways Appreciation 2018

Appreciation thread for the Runaways

Who is your favorite Runaway?

Favorite storyline?

How were you introduced to them.

For me, the answers to the above are Victor Mancha, his debut storyline, and checking out said storyline from the library

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

Generally don't pick favourites. I enjoy pretty much all of them on one level or another and having more or less grown up with the series I found myself liking different characters for different reasons as I got older.

The "True Believers" opening arc of Volume 2.

"Civil War Young Avengers/Runaways #2". It was on a spinner rack at a local corner store. I later found that the local Wal-Mart regularly got in the "Marvel Tales" flip magazine on a monthly basis that was presently re-printing Volume one of "Runaways" as well as some early 2000s "Amazing Spider-Man" and after a few months of that I got a mail subscription to the main series from Marvel. In hindsight getting the 24 issue subscription was a mistake as that was just before BKV left and there was less than 24 issues in the remainder of volume 2 and the entirety of volume 3. This was all before I could go to any comic shop with any regularity.

1. Nico's my personal favorites, although I love everyone.

2. Both volumes of BKV's run are near and dear to me, and it's hard to pick one.

3. I found the first omnibus at a college library and decided to give it a try. Best decision I ever made.

My favorite members are Nico and Karolina, both are awesome!!!

All the work of BKV is amazing, I can't say which one is my favorite arc.

I started to see good critics and read about the characters on internet and I bought the first issues in a comic book shop. One of the best decisions in all my life.

Still my favourite marvel comic series of all time.

BKV is great at writing stories that focus on characters and people. Vaughan takes all the fun stuff from marvel but puts the focus on the story where it matters. I wish I was better with words so I could write a decent review xD, the runaways comics were always just right for me, its both fun/light hearted and deep at the same time.

I found out about it when I was first getting into marvel. A lot of the long established series were pretty difficult to get into. I heard the runaways was a new series starting and gave it ago. I read the first few volumes and loved them.

Chase Stein is my fave. I like his lovable idiot attitude. Though, while im enjoying the series, Im still not a fan of his weird image and attitude change in avengers undercover.
    Last edited by CartooN; 05-17-2014 at 01:13 PM.

Okay, same old song and dance when it comes to discussion on a long cancelled, short-lived title with a bunch of fans. Who would we all like to see take over the book in a hypothetical re-launch of the series? And how would you pitch it?

And it can't be Brian K. Vaughan on writing duties, it's just not going to happen under any realistic set of circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by Personamanx View Post
    Okay, same old song and dance when it comes to discussion on a long cancelled, short-lived title with a bunch of fans. Who would we all like to see take over the book in a hypothetical re-launch of the series? And how would you pitch it?

And it can't be Brian K. Vaughan on writing duties, it's just not going to happen under any realistic set of circumstances.
    Yost did some of the tie-in and cross over issues for the Runaways (the Molly/Xmen issues and I think the secret invasion stuff), they were all good and I'd happily see him continue with the Runaways. It needs to be a character focused writer, not some whacky guy who wants to take the runaways to space or something.

Victor Mancha; love his powers and attitude.

Favorite storyline?
    Probably for overall succinct story, I adore Joss Whedon's 6 issue run, such a great story.

How were you introduced to them
    I started with volume 2, after randomly picking up the comic and liking the art.

Absorb them into the Marvel U already.
    The whole orphaned independence thing can only last so long. I'm ready to see them interact with the rest of the heroes more.

Also...

Nico Minoru, easy. That Staff of One sh!t is Hella-sweet.
    But I absolutely adore Mancha's fanboyism.

Favorite storyline?
    Intro to Victor, for sure.

How were you introduced to them
    A friend nagged me over and over and I kept protesting but then he lent them to me so I caved and man do I love him for being such a pest.

Quote Originally Posted by CartooN View Post
    I dont think the Arena/Academy/Undercover writers ever truly understood the runaways. While I still enjoyed those three series, like you said, they just came over as annoying brats. The Runaways are far stronger than those writers ever portrayed them.
    I think he wrote them well.
    Chase was the defensive loud mouth, while Nico was more playing it closer to the chest -- being smart about getting allies and what not. I was pleased. Even with Nico's tilt toward the dark -- I found it totally believable and it just made me empathize with her more.
    Last edited by Fokken; 05-20-2014 at 12:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    The whole orphaned independence thing can only last so long. I'm ready to see them interact with the rest of the heroes more.
    While I do think that's a very valid and probable thing for Marvel to do (They're more or less going for it already) I really don't see what's some limited about the book for it not be relaunched to success. It's just a group of characters that find themselves bound together, no different than the Fantastic Four or the X-Men. They just need a healthy direction.

I think he wrote them well.
    Chase was the defensive loud mouth, while Nico was more playing it closer to the chest -- being smart about getting allies and what not. I was pleased. Even with Nico's tilt toward the dark -- I found it totally believable and it just made me empathize with her more.
    It was believable when Nico, pushed to her limits and returning from the brink of death, would suddenly rage at those who hurt her and her friends. It was towards the end, when Nico and Chase suddenly give up on everything and decide to get with the killing, that I disagreed with. The runaways have been through far worse, seen friends and family die. I don't think they would suddenly decide Bloodstone was too bigger a threat and needed to die.

In fact, I remember a very similar occurrence in the Runaways original series. A monster is terrorising a city, trashing buildings and killing people. The runaways go in, but will not kill the monster, even though lives are at stake they still try to do good. It turned out the monster was a human and they did the right thing.

So why they would at the drop of a hat decide monster Cullen was too much and needed to be killed is beyond me. I can't believe that they were simply "at the end of their tether".

Can't say as I've not read all of his Arena/Undercover but a lot of that can be tossed away with some mental gymnastics. Explanation of a character's absence may be deemed unnecessary if the potential role is not of much consequence. The design of Nico's staff changing back may just be a stylistic choice and deemed ultimately inconsequential. Like you said Old Lace came back, makes sense to not mention it as much as it would to mention it. And the Fistigons can just be explained as, he's consciously only using their fire capabilities.
    Maybe I'm over thinking things but some other coincidences drove me to that conclusion, like Nico not trusting Chase's judgment at the beginning of Arena and Old Lace's absence. I haven't read volume 3 but at the end of BKV's run Nico wasn't happy with Chase, going as far as to speak about him as a potential danger rather than a team member even echoing what she said about Victor at the beginning of volume 2, fast forward to Arena and Nico is treating Chase with a cold attitude to the point of expelling him at the first sign of reckless attitude. Also in the last BKV issue it was implied that Old Lace gained complete independence from Chase when he disobeyed him, I think that would be a reasonable explanation as to why he isn't following him anymore (or at least it would have been if Gage hadn't written that 13 issue of Arena). Anyways, I guess it could be just one of my weird theories.

Quote Originally Posted by CartooN View Post
    It was believable when Nico, pushed to her limits and returning from the brink of death, would suddenly rage at those who hurt her and her friends. It was towards the end, when Nico and Chase suddenly give up on everything and decide to get with the killing, that I disagreed with. The runaways have been through far worse, seen friends and family die. I don't think they would suddenly decide Bloodstone was too bigger a threat and needed to die.

In fact, I remember a very similar occurrence in the Runaways original series. A monster is terrorising a city, trashing buildings and killing people. The runaways go in, but will not kill the monster, even though lives are at stake they still try to do good. It turned out the monster was a human and they did the right thing.

So why they would at the drop of a hat decide monster Cullen was too much and needed to be killed is beyond me. I can't believe that they were simply "at the end of their tether".
    They didn't decide to get with the killing, they just wanted to get rid of Bloodstone. I read that as Nico having one of those uncontrollable rage episodes that she is having lately and Chase was all "She won't really kill him, but the guy is a danger so let her vent her frustrations for a while". It was reckless from his part but in no way he was supporting Nico killing Bloodstone.

I think there's still one big story that can be told about the Runaways and that's the one involving Alex's revenge. I always saw him as the one true nemesis of the Runaways. If the Runaways get a new series, I think it should be about Alex plotting his vengeance against the Runaways with the help of Zemo or some other villain. Give him control of the Young Masters and then form something like "The Pride of Evil" with the objective to recover Los Angeles and end the Runaways once and for all. Don't know if there's a writer at Marvel, skilled enough to write that story though.

After that send Karolina to Avengers Academy, Nico to the Young Avengers, Victor stays with Pym, Chase gets a normal job in the entertainment world now that he's famous and Molly and Klara can safely retire at home. All still living together of course, to someday deal with the inevitable Alex new attack.

BANNED

Meh Alex was interested in two things getting respect from dear old dad and getting the girl. I think we can safely say respect from dad is off the table. If he was interested in killing them he could have killed them when he knocked them all out and stole their stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    Appreciation thread for the Runaways

Favorite storyline?

How were you introduced to them.

For me, the answers to the above are Victor Mancha, his debut storyline, and checking out said storyline from the library

Nico, Dark Magician girl FTW.

Both Vaughan's original and Follow up storyline.

The Mini Trade paperback.

what's the status of the characters now? Are they... um.. older?