Page 3 of 100 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Who is your favorite Runaway?

It's a little hard for me to say really, as all of them are such rich and fun characters. But if I had to choose one, it would be Nico.
    She's always seemed the most like a real teenager to me. I love her compassion, her insecurities, and her overall bad-ass demeanor.
    That and the Staff of One is a brilliant concept that makes for some very awesome moments. (BKV has always excelled at making magic more than a simple insta-win button.)

Favorite storyline?

Toss-up between The Good Die Young (Dat Twist, Dat Ending) and Parental Guidance (Poor Gert )

How were you introduced to them.

Through my local library, cornily enough. After reading the first Young Avengers series, I was looking for more Teen Marvel awesomeness, and guess what happened to be on the shelves?

Molly Hayes is LEGENDARY!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Personamanx View Post
    Ultimately having the last volume end on an unresolved cliffhanger (Chase's "I got better" during their "Daken" appearances isn't really resolution of everything that was going on in that arc) and having them appear elsewhere has made things difficult. Things are going to be really funny continuity wise for a long time. That's why I'm largely just trying to focus on how they're appearing somewhere and being written half-way into character.
    It was a shame about the series ending there, felt like it was right at the moment the story was getting interesting. Chase getting hospitalised and the girl that looks just like Gert was obviously going somewhere, I'd love to know what was going on there, even if it was just the writer saying where she was going to take the story.

And on a side note (If you dont want to see the preview for Avengers Undercover 5 dont look!)
    http://www.comicbookresources.com/im...R3-5-b98d1.jpg

Dun dun dunnnnnnnnnn

I have been reading Wikipedia to trying to catch up with the cast of Runaways but the information is surprisingly sparse.
    Nico and Chase were in the Avengers Battle Royale title and Victor was going to be appearing in Avengers A.I. from the last I read.
    How did these titles treat the characters Wikipedia is being a little vague?

Spoilers and opinions how the characters have been handled are very welcome.

And to answer the questions:

Toss up between Molly and Chase.

Favorite storyline?
    This is really tough to decide but the initial run issue 1-18 were possibly my favourite storyline in comics. I know that it was composed of various storylines it definitely tells one major story arc.

How were you introduced to them?
    I was in my last year of high-school between class and my after school job and picked up the first digest and was instantly hooked. I picked it up on a whim due to the size and price point being perfect to keep in my pocket. Now my Runaways digests are in miserable condition which makes me very sad.
    Last edited by doctormistermaster; 07-04-2014 at 04:08 PM.
    “Nothing is harder to understand than a symbolic work. A symbol always transcends the one who makes use of it and makes him say in reality more than he is aware of expressing.”
    ― Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    Appreciation thread for the Runaways

Favorite storyline?

How were you introduced to them.

For me, the answers to the above are Victor Mancha, his debut storyline, and checking out said storyline from the library

Nico, Dark Magician girl FTW.

Both Vaughan's original and Follow up storyline.

The Mini Trade paperback.

1) Xavin
    2) Nico
    3) Victor
    4) Karolina
    5) Gert
    6) Alex
    7) Molly
    8) Klara
    9) Chase

Favorite storyline?
    Victor's story.

How were you introduced to them?
    Runways v1

what's the status of the characters now? Are they... um.. older?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Daredevil is Legend View Post
    Molly Hayes is LEGENDARY!!!!
    Yes!

I love the visual of characters who have super-strength as their power, *not* 'super-muscles.' Molly's strength appears to be psionic in nature, and so literally has *nothing* to do with her size or physical musculature, so it's completely awesome to see this tiny girl just whale on big muscular people. (Because of that, the future Molly seen in the X-Men seems like it was designed by someone who literally has no clue what they were doing, drawing her all muscular...)

The silly hats. The feigned innocence. The far more mature aside when she's alone... Very cool.

I also love the colorful visual of Karolina, although her personality doesn't really do as much for me.

I liked Gertrude, with her acerbic wit and sharp analytic mind, far more than the others, and was kind of wanting to see her grow into the 'Arsenic' part of 'Arsenic and Old Lace,' perhaps discovering some future tech poison / sedative injecting hand implant or something, to allow her to tranq people with a touch (or find some other 'toys' left behind by her time travelling parents, mystical relics from the past, advanced tech from the future, that could give her a little bit more of a fighting chance).

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    what's the status of the characters now? Are they... um.. older?
    Hard to tell with Marvel. Time seems to pass and not pass at the same time.

Chase was said to have his 18th towards the end of the Runaways series, so I guess they are older now but who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by doctormistermaster View Post
    I have been reading Wikipedia to trying to catch up with the cast of Runaways but the information is surprisingly sparse.
    Nico and Chase were in the Avengers Battle Royale title and Victor was going to be appearing in Avengers A.I. from the last I read.
    How did these titles treat the characters Wikipedia is being a little vague?
    Spoilers for Arena, Undercover and A.I. ahead.

Nico and Chase in Avengers Arena was pretty good. There was only one moment where I felt they weren't true to their characters. Towards the end there's a big fight between pretty much everyone involved, Nico and Chase are in on it too and it seems odd for them to just start fighting. The writer responded to a fan letter that also questioned this, he said all the characters were supposed to be worn down and mentally broken but I still don't think Nico and Chase would just start trying to kill people. That aside it was pretty good.

It then lead into Avengers Undercover, where the survivors of Arena are in hiding for their "crimes" of trying to/actually killing eachother. Chase got a big image change, in the story this was because he got sucked into being famous and doing TV shows after arena. He looks pretty stupid now IMO but I guess it makes sense. Nico is pretty much the same. In the latest issue Alex got summoned back from limbo by Hellstorm. This is still on going and we're yet to see how that turns out.

I've been reading Avengers A.I. in trades. I'm finding it a little boring to be honest (lots of emotionless, logical robot stuff and antman talking about how crazy he is). Victor hasn't really done much yet, Pym considers him as his son/grandson. Victor "dies" in a battle with some sentinel robot thing but his conciousness is transferred to some crazy A.I. Tron style world where A.I.s live, so no doubt he'll be back alive again soon.

Well Nico tried to kill Bloodstone, Chase not so much. I found Chase did not like Nico trying killing Bloodstone but he didnt want to oppose her, but he wasn't trying to kill Cammi. Nor did Chase seem interested in Killing anyone else. This was also after Bloodstone had finished hulking out in his evil demon form and on the absolute final day.

Nico also had every good deed previously in AA blow up in her face, I can accept she was in a very bad headplace at the time.

Thanks for the updates would you recommend Avengers Arena to someone that loves Runaways and Battle Royale but doesn't really like Hunger Games or the Avengers (at least lately)?
    “Nothing is harder to understand than a symbolic work. A symbol always transcends the one who makes use of it and makes him say in reality more than he is aware of expressing.”
    ― Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by doctormistermaster View Post
    Thanks for the updates would you recommend Avengers Arena to someone that loves Runaways and Battle Royale but doesn't really like Hunger Games or the Avengers (at least lately)?
    Yeh for sure, I was really surprised by it. I didn't pick it up at first, I just assumed it was a terrible battle royale rip off and not much more. But I took a chance, got the trade and really liked it. Undercover follows on from Arena and thats been pretty fun so far as well.

Alex and Nico are tied as my favorite Runaways, followed by Molly and Victor.

I honestly don't get why Marvel hasn't tried to do more with the characters, it seemed like after Moore's run they just gave up on anyone but maybe BKV ever writing them as a group. Which is a shame, because I think there is room within the Marvel universe for the stories of a group super powered, teens and children of villains to get into trouble while not trying to be super heroes or villains.

Quote Originally Posted by Wellman View Post
    I honestly don't get why Marvel hasn't tried to do more with the characters, it seemed like after Moore's run they just gave up on anyone but maybe BKV ever writing them as a group. Which is a shame, because I think there is room within the Marvel universe for the stories of a group super powered, teens and children of villains to get into trouble while not trying to be super heroes or villains.
    I agree with you completely but I also think you answer your own question. The title is a little too idiosyncratic for the average superhero writer and in someways also for a general audience. So when the characters are used they either don't really fit the superhero mold and are thus hard to write for or are forced to conform and lose much of their appeal. It isn't impossible to make them work I just think editorial has little faith in the group beyond BKV's work on the title.

I guess I will try out the first trade of Avengers Arena. I have been looking for some Marvel series to read and Chase and Nico are definitely a selling point (Cammi is just icing on the cake).

Does anyone think Hopeless could handle writing duties on an ongoing Runaways series?
    Last edited by doctormistermaster; 07-08-2014 at 06:29 PM.
    ― Albert Camus