Page 58 of 100 FirstFirst ... 84854555657585960616268 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Nico is terrific, I love the character, but she has WAY too much baggage.

She's HOARDING baggage. She's the Supreme Ruler of Baggageville.

Karolina doesn't need that, regardless of their shared history. #NicoliNO
    I agree no matter how I look at it rationally it would be better for Karolina to stay with Julie but the problem is that heart and brain rarely act together when love is involved. The temptation of first love and passion is a dangerous trap .

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Nico is terrific, I love the character, but she has WAY too much baggage.

She's HOARDING baggage. She's the Supreme Ruler of Baggageville.

Karolina doesn't need that, regardless of their shared history. #NicoliNO
    Well... Karolina has her own share of baggage as evident with her relationships problems. She never seems like she's fully into the relationships she's been in.

BRING BACK XAVIN!!!!

If not to reunite with Karolina, then to simply EXIST again.

It's pretty well documented I haven't been a fan of Julie and Karolina together. They look too similar, their rainbow power signatures clash, and most importantly the dynamics of their relationship have never really been explored. What do they have in common? What are their differences? What do they actually like about each other?
    Up until now their relationship has been shallow as hell. The extent being two girls who fly with rainbows and happen to like girls.

Rowell is the first writer to really put their relationship under the microscope and I'm honestly liking the drama.

We finally get to see that Julie and Karolina have completely different perspectives on the superhero lifestyle due to how their own lives unfolded. I wouldn't exactly say that Julie is more militarized but she has a lot more experience and actual training. She knows how badly being a superhero can go when you're young and unprepared, it's why she joined the Loners, it's why she eventually enrolled at the Avengers Academy.
    And Julie thought the Runaways understood that, they literally fought the Avengers Academy so that they could stay together, they argued that they were better off continuing as they were. But now that she's seen them in action: how unprepared and disorganized they are when it comes to responding to threats, how laissez-faire they are when it comes to followup. There's no introspection, there's no training to improve.
    And now she has to question whether they really should remain a group, just by existing they draw threats to themselves and you can't even say they've been lucky so far because a bunch of them have died, some of them have been kidnapped, Chase has been in like 2 different comas.
    But to Karolina and the others they've never really been a standard superhero team, they're a family. They don't go out looking for trouble, but they aren't going to sit back when a villain finds them, they have power and they will use it as needed. And I think that this cupcake business is about reminding Julie what that time of her life was like for her, to be young and part of a family with superpowers: no training, no proactive patrolling, just reacting to everything life throws at you and praying that things turn out okay. And now Julie has to question if she can actually be a part of this family, she knows better than to operate like this without any real structure.

And of course there's the fact that Julie doesn't actually feel like part of the family yet. Apparently before the Runaways reunion Karolina had agreed to move to New York to be closer to Julie and now she's hesistating. And you can't even blame Rowell for that because she wasn't the one to establish that Julie was attending ESU, putting the two in a long distance relationship.

So Julie and Karolina were five seconds away from U-Hauling it, and now they are having communication problems because Karolina is reconsidering because it would mean leaving her family.
    Julie has legitimate concerns about the Runaways as a group and Karolina is defensive.
    Julie has at least made an attempt to get to know the Runaways and become a part of the group (like Xavin was and wasn't that an interesting line?) but she's been forgotten at the airport and then forgotten when they went to the movies without her.
    Their relationship obviously has problems outside of whatever feelings Nico and Karolina might have for eachother.

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
    It's pretty well documented I haven't been a fan of Julie and Karolina together. They look too similar, their rainbow power signatures clash, and most importantly the dynamics of their relationship have never really been explored. What do they have in common? What are their differences? What do they actually like about each other?
    Up until now their relationship has been shallow as hell. The extent being two girls who fly with rainbows and happen to like girls.

Rowell is the first writer to really put their relationship under the microscope and I'm honestly liking the drama.

We finally get to see that Julie and Karolina have completely different perspectives on the superhero lifestyle due to how their own lives unfolded. I wouldn't exactly say that Julie is more militarized but she has a lot more experience and actual training. She knows how badly being a superhero can go when you're young and unprepared, it's why she joined the Loners, it's why she eventually enrolled at the Avengers Academy.
    And Julie thought the Runaways understood that, they literally fought the Avengers Academy so that they could stay together, they argued that they were better off continuing as they were. But now that she's seen them in action: how unprepared and disorganized they are when it comes to responding to threats, how laissez-faire they are when it comes to followup. There's no introspection, there's no training to improve.
    And now she has to question whether they really should remain a group, just by existing they draw threats to themselves and you can't even say they've been lucky so far because a bunch of them have died, some of them have been kidnapped, Chase has been in like 2 different comas.
    But to Karolina and the others they've never really been a standard superhero team, they're a family. They don't go out looking for trouble, but they aren't going to sit back when a villain finds them, they have power and they will use it as needed. And I think that this cupcake business is about reminding Julie what that time of her life was like for her, to be young and part of a family with superpowers: no training, no proactive patrolling, just reacting to everything life throws at you and praying that things turn out okay. And now Julie has to question if she can actually be a part of this family, she knows better than to operate like this without any real structure.

And of course there's the fact that Julie doesn't actually feel like part of the family yet. Apparently before the Runaways reunion Karolina had agreed to move to New York to be closer to Julie and now she's hesistating. And you can't even blame Rowell for that because she wasn't the one to establish that Julie was attending ESU, putting the two in a long distance relationship.

So Julie and Karolina were five seconds away from U-Hauling it, and now they are having communication problems because Karolina is reconsidering because it would mean leaving her family.
    Julie has legitimate concerns about the Runaways as a group and Karolina is defensive.
    Julie has at least made an attempt to get to know the Runaways and become a part of the group (like Xavin was and wasn't that an interesting line?) but she's been forgotten at the airport and then forgotten when they went to the movies without her.
    Their relationship obviously has problems outside of whatever feelings Nico and Karolina might have for eachother.

It's likely the cliffhanger will be solved nest issue since the issue after that is a Gert focused one.

spoilers:
    I do hope Julie is saved and I feel her relationship with Karolina could have been delved deeper but no one has picked up on either one since AA and it sucks it's likely to end after this. Karolina is back with her family and sadly, Julie is about to be left behind unless Rowell adds her in the group, deaged or normal but I don't think that is happening since this the core team before BKV left and it's picking up on all the threads they left behind since then. It's likely the next arc will be Nico and the Staff and Alex Wilder coming back.

Also, no one is talking about this but why did the cupcake regress Julie when wasn't the cupcake just supposed to stop aging? Maybe Abby isn't who she claims or has been lying.

Not sure about Nicolina but it was foreshadowed back in the first run and I guess it was planned before the show made it hard to ignore in the comics so we'll see what happens a month from now.
    end of spoilers

The next issue is one long wait.
    Last edited by mreddie; 05-11-2018 at 10:26 PM.

Great analysis. tbh, I always found the relationship shallow because no one focused on it at all and when it "started" it was.... not that deep lol. It's kinda meta if you think about it.

but getting away from that, I wanna see Nico in her Hawaiian shirt now.

BANNED

> Come home from college.
    > Find Runaways trade delivered in the mail.
    > It's bent and torn.

I hate everything.

Quote Originally Posted by vasir12 View Post
    but getting away from that, I wanna see Nico in her Hawaiian shirt now.
    Okay...I wouldn't hate that.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Yeah, I agree that I've never been able to be that invested in Julina because it never seemed that deep, and now Rainbow is giving us reasons to believe that maybe it's not meant to be, after all. And even if this was about just Nico, Nicolina is not doing much better, IMO, because it started off in a really problematic way, falling into the ''Nico needing someone'' trope. TBH, nothing so far has convinced me any other ship has bested Xavolina, which remains the most important and meaningful relationship Karolina has been in.

Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    > It's bent and torn.

I hate everything.
    Sorry about that. Can you get a refund or something?

> It's bent and torn.

I hate everything.
    Sorry to hear that Assam .

Fantastic Member

So the name of this arc is Best Friends Forever and I think that has more mean then just immortal 13 year old. Look at the opener on #9 its Doombot declaring Victor his best friend. This issue has Chase getting jealous over Doombot and Victor. I would not be surprised in the least if issue #10 has a conversation between Chase and Victor where Chase states that Victor is his best friend. And at the end of it even if Julie and Karolina break up its gonna have Nico and her not getting together but reaffirming that they are best friends forever and not pursue a relationship.

As for Julie I dont think she is going to stay a child by the end. Abbie saids that Molly needs to eat the entire cupcake I think that Julie will have given some to Old Lace.

As for "MU’s most fabulous villains (making a guest appearance)?" I think its going to be Amora the Enchantress. She is fabulous and as an Asgardian considered a witch that could be giving out age stopping cupcakes back in 1964.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by doomeye56 View Post
    So the name of this arc is Best Friends Forever and I think that has more mean then just immortal 13 year old. Look at the opener on #9 its Doombot declaring Victor his best friend. This issue has Chase getting jealous over Doombot and Victor. I would not be surprised in the least if issue #10 has a conversation between Chase and Victor where Chase states that Victor is his best friend. And at the end of it even if Julie and Karolina break up its gonna have Nico and her not getting together but reaffirming that they are best friends forever and not pursue a relationship.

As for Julie I dont think she is going to stay a child by the end. Abbie saids that Molly needs to eat the entire cupcake I think that Julie will have given some to Old Lace.

As for "MU’s most fabulous villains (making a guest appearance)?" I think its going to be Amora the Enchantress. She is fabulous and as an Asgardian considered a witch that could be giving out age stopping cupcakes back in 1964.

Old lace and the cats went to the movie with the runaways. And when a witch was mentioned Enchantress was my first thought, I can’t think of any other fabulous witch villain.

People on this thread be like

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    TBH, nothing so far has convinced me any other ship has bested Xavolina, which remains the most important and meaningful relationship Karolina has been in.
    Same. Was just reading the YA crossovers and was very happy with how much focus Xavin got in them. Some sweet Xavolina moments in their too.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    People on this thread be like
    Entirely possible I just missed something, but I don't think anyone's tried to deny that Karolina's been thirsty for Nico since literally their first appearance.

Entirely possible I just missed something, but I don't think anyone's tried to deny that Karolina's been thirsty for Nico since literally their first appearance.
    Someone said they will "reaffirm" that they're just friends at the end of this arc. From her trying to kiss Karolina, to blushing when around her, to clearly being jealous of her girlfriend, I think we have more than enough evidence that Nico feels it too.