Page 76 of 100 FirstFirst ... 266672737475767778798086 ... LastLast
Results 1,126 to 1,140 of 1493

That was a very different issue from the previous one and from how this book has kinda been in general, in lots of ways. The way the story is written, the focus of it(a battle), the dynamics, and of course, the art. Plus it was a much faster read. Doesn't mean it's a bad one though.

I guess I can see the comparison with the first one you made, Personamax. I remember that I wasn't sure what to feel about it when it came out, it was like issue #2 was the actual start. Issues like this aren't Rowell's biggest strength, but it was still pretty interesting. With Alex back, the more cartoon-y art style, and the new villains, I thought it actually felt a lot like the original run, which is cool, but strange at the same time lol.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

spoilers:
    Also, I completely buy Alex's reasoning for his actions in the past. Should the others forgive him? I dunno, I think a better apology from him is in order but the whole thing falls in line with the stated (but not well shown in the original run) idea that he's a logic, and strategy minded intellectual. Most people on the planet were going to die, he did what he could to make sure his family didn't. He abused the trust of his friends in doling so, but it's all reasonable motivation. That doesn't come anywhere to justifying his post resurrection villainy, but we'll get to that when its brought up. As far as we know none of the others even know he fought Luke Cage.
    end of spoilers

Really enjoyed these past two issues, and the cliffhanger from last issue really drove this current issue -- although how could it not? Alex back with the rest of the Runaways feels right -- he's like Doom to the FF in that you might as well consider them family and foe, simultaneously.

From a storytelling standpoint, I've noticed how Rowell has set up so much potential romantic drama, something that hasn't really happened with the kids since Whedon wrote his six issues. Watching Alex-Nico-Karolina and Victor-Gert-Chase will be fun. Gotta have that drama to keep things interesting!

It's interesting that the Gibborim have come calling precisely when Alex reaches the Runaways, considering they spent time together in that empty side-dimension in Volume 2. Wonder if anything's up with that.

I do like the Gibborim, and I love the idea that these kids are destined to become the Pride themselves. The names the Gibborim gave them were excellent choices by Rowell.

The art reminded me of those fill-in issues from Vol. 2, the issue(s) in which I think like Swarm and those werewolf cowboys show up.

Sure, the issue read a little fast -- but at least our focus was on a pivotal scene for the kids. The fallout from this should be spectacular!

-Pav, who misses those werewolf cowboys...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Werewolf cowboys was an Alphona issue. You might be thinking of the arc before that when they fought the giant purple monster

spoilers:
    Cool issue. Lafluente's style fits the Runaways pretty well, it has cartoony elements but not over-the-top like Ramos (who I love sometimes but Runaways was not his best work).
    The scene where Nico summoned her staff was really well done. It looked like she was really struggling, like she didn't want to summon it and was really afraid. Lafluente really conveyed her fear and the tragedy of it all. I really can't wait to see what's going on with that.

I thought it was interesting how Molly and Karolina fell into old patterns, just following Alex's orders.

The Seed of the Gibborim look a lot like Alphona's designs for their parents, which is a nice touch. They're a cool new threat for the Runaways to face. I've expected a new Pride, I've expected the Gibborim themselves to return, but their Seed? That I did not see coming.
    end of spoilers

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    Really enjoyed these past two issues, and the cliffhanger from last issue really drove this current issue -- although how could it not? Alex back with the rest of the Runaways feels right -- he's like Doom to the FF in that you might as well consider them family and foe, simultaneously.

From a storytelling standpoint, I've noticed how Rowell has set up so much potential romantic drama, something that hasn't really happened with the kids since Whedon wrote his six issues. Watching Alex-Nico-Karolina and Victor-Gert-Chase will be fun. Gotta have that drama to keep things interesting!

It's interesting that the Gibborim have come calling precisely when Alex reaches the Runaways, considering they spent time together in that empty side-dimension in Volume 2. Wonder if anything's up with that.

I do like the Gibborim, and I love the idea that these kids are destined to become the Pride themselves. The names the Gibborim gave them were excellent choices by Rowell.

The art reminded me of those fill-in issues from Vol. 2, the issue(s) in which I think like Swarm and those werewolf cowboys show up.

Sure, the issue read a little fast -- but at least our focus was on a pivotal scene for the kids. The fallout from this should be spectacular!

-Pav, who misses those werewolf cowboys...
    What were the names?

Quote Originally Posted by kevinism View Post
    What were the names?
    It was the titles that the Gibborim called their parents
    Minoru - Magicians
    Dean - Colonists
    Stein - Wise Men
    Wilder - Thieves
    Hayes - Outcasts
    Yorkes - Travellers

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
    Minoru - Magicians
    Dean - Colonists
    Stein - Wise Men
    Wilder - Thieves
    Hayes - Outcasts
    Yorkes - Travellers
    This is because The Pride was actually just a big Dungeons and Dragons / tabletop roleplay group, and these were the parents classes in their party. 'The Gibborim' is actually just a lengthening of 'The GM'.
    This kids just walked in at the wrong time when they were LARPing and everything spiraled from there.

Minoru - Magicians
    Dean - Colonists
    Stein - Wise Men
    Wilder - Thieves
    Hayes - Outcasts
    Yorkes - Travellers
    It was anice detail towards the first series of the Runaways. It's obvious the love and care that Rowell has towards the original series ^^

IIRC Those names have also been used by Post BKV writers whenever someone needed to refer to one of the Pride villains in a supervillain capacity. No one knew who they were, but the Outcasts were two members of the Pride that ruled LA, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnrevenge View Post
    It was anice detail towards the first series of the Runaways. It's obvious the love and care that Rowell has towards the original series ^^
    Yeah, note that the Lucy in the Sky and Princess Powerful codenames were used too. Alex probably doesn't realise that the gang abandoned those (I won't be surprised if Sister Grimm, Talkback, and Arsenic are also used next issue).
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Neither of them should trust Alex after everything that's happened but let's face it Alex is the leader this group does not have and none of the other Runaways can be in that position.

Quote Originally Posted by Knives View Post
    Neither of them should trust Alex after everything that's happened but let's face it Alex is the leader this group does not have and none of the other Runaways can be in that position.
    Nico has been their de facto leader since Alex died, and she and Victor have both been members of Avengers teams. And Victor is just as smart and strategic as Alex. They're both going through some stuff right now, but I'm sure Gert is willing to step up now if just to keep them out of Alex's control.

Nico has been their de facto leader since Alex died, and she and Victor have both been members of Avengers teams. And Victor is just as smart and strategic as Alex. They're both going through some stuff right now, but I'm sure Gert is willing to step up now if just to keep them out of Alex's control.
    Yeah, it would be cool to see Gert finally stepping up and take charge.

I don't really see Gert taking charge any time soon, but shes gonna need to start doing something if things are shifting back into a bit of superhero action.

Well she's become a full fledged time traveller. It's not something I ever actually saw her embracing, but here she is, travelling through time to cheat death and observe extinct animals.