Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    So is Ford the LEAD again, or is he just making an appearance? Because I remember reading awhile back that Ridley wanted a female protagonist (surprise surprise) with Deckard playing a smaller but still important role.
    What's with the surprise surprise? He's made like 22 movies, like five of them have a female lead.

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GrandKaiser View Post
    There were several sequels to DADOES but none of them written by Phillip K Dick. If there was never an official sequel to DADOES then what's the point of this? Why not adapt existing cyberpunk stories like Neuromancer or something?
    Some people in Hollywood have been trying to get Neuromancer made for years.

Chris Cunningham was involved for a while before director Vincenzo Natali took a stab at it. The script has been complete for years but there has been no movement on getting it made.

Joe Cornish script for Snow Crash seems to be loved by everyone who read it but Paramount Studios aren't in any rush to actually get it made.

Duncan Jones original science fiction film project Mute which is influenced by Blade Runner is getting another attempt by Jones to get made.
    Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    So is Ford the LEAD again, or is he just making an appearance? Because I remember reading awhile back that Ridley wanted a female protagonist (surprise surprise) with Deckard playing a smaller but still important role.
    Ford is not the lead. The female Blade Runner will be the lead. One of the sequel books revolved around a Female Blade Runner.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by chamber-music View Post
    Some people in Hollywood have been trying to get Neuromancer made for years.

Chris Cunningham was involved for a while before director Vincenzo Natali took a stab at it. The script has been complete for years but there has been no movement on getting it made.

Joe Cornish script for Snow Crash seems to be loved by everyone who read it but Paramount Studios aren't in any rush to actually get it made.

Duncan Jones original science fiction film project Mute which is influenced by Blade Runner is getting another attempt by Jones to get made.
    Man, I hope I live to see a Neuromancer film. Even if it's awful, I just want to see that turn into a film. Or at least some of the visuals from the book.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by simbob4000 View Post
    What's with the surprise surprise? He's made like 22 movies, like five of them have a female lead.
    And besides Blade Runner and Gladiator, pretty much all of his most iconic/famous ones have female leads. I'm actually paying him a compliment in that regard.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by GrandKaiser View Post
    Man, I hope I live to see a Neuromancer film. Even if it's awful, I just want to see that turn into a film. Or at least some of the visuals from the book.
    You say that, but you could end up with something like Johnny Mnemonic.

Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

If it's good, it's good. If it's not, it doesn't ruin the original.

Considering this is like the fourth news story about this, I'm surprised people are suddenly upset. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by PretenderNX01 View Post
    If it's good, it's good. If it's not, it doesn't ruin the original.

Considering this is like the fourth news story about this, I'm surprised people are suddenly upset. LOL
    I agree to a point, and in no way will a sequel ruin the original. I just don't see the point to this. Make a sequel when there is something left to tell within the world or framework of the original. Blade Runner told us everything that it needed to to tell the story it was telling. What else is there? Are we going to see the androids actually fight in space battles in this movie? Since it was mentioned in the original and I'm sure Hollywood is chomping at the bit to expand on it because special effects are awesome.
    I co-host a podcast about comics. Mostly it's X-Men comics of the 90's.

Billy and Dan Read Comics!

Spectacular Member ThiefHookUps's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mr_crisp View Post
    Yay! They've finally responded to my petitions. (Just kidding)
    You sonofabitch, haha.

An older Ford being in this movie is really going to cramp the ambiguous ending of the original. But, whatever, I can always ignore this new film like I do with the Godfather III, the last two Die Hard movies, the Aliens vs Predators and so on and so forth. I think the CGI effects will have to be near-perfect for this thing to compare to the original because there's something so wonderful about those tangible effects. I wonder the same thing about the new Mad Max. CGI=greater ability for complex setups and realizations but at the same time can look very out of place and remove the viewer (at least this viewer) from the movie. I'd much rather have the creatures in the first three Star Wars then in the more recent three because they actually look like they're there. That's what makes The Thing so remarkable to me. The sheer amount of variety they gave that tangible beast(s). It's awesome too look at. Like I'd rather look at Tim Burton's Batman Returns or Beetlejuice than Alice in Wonderland. Even when I can tell it's fake it still feels like it's a part of the movie's world in a way that CGI seems like an addition (but not part of) the world.

I still can't figure why they're making a BR sequel but I thought the same thing of the RoboCop and Total Recall remakes. What was the point? The original RoboCop was all ridiculous, over-the-top violence and humor/satire and then they remade it without either of those. And the original Total Recall was ridiculous sci fi and they remade it with as muted a palate and future-realistic as possible. So who knows. I still enjoy the originals and if nothing else this sequel gives me something to talk about and look forward to/gripe about.

Not to overly sidetrack things but does anybody know if there are any plans for a Dredd sequel? That's a movie I liked the first time and then really like the second time I saw it.
    Last edited by ThiefHookUps; 03-02-2015 at 11:14 AM. Reason: I decided to ramble about other sci fi films.