Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

This is sad news but it appears since he passed away at home he was among family and friends in familiar surroundings. So much of what we jokingly call geek culture started there. The polar opposite of Lost in Space that aired around the same time, they took their material and subject matter seriously. People underestimate what an achievement it was that he took that iconic Spock look with pointed ears and slanty eyebrows which very easily could have been ridiculed and made people believe in that character so deeply. RIP Mr Nimoy.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 02-27-2015 at 04:10 PM.

I just wanted to add my condolences to all. It is a very sad day for not just his family and friends but to the fans he made and inspired.

He lived long and we prospered for it.

RIP, Mr. Nimoy.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Wally 'Ginger' West fan
    Along one of the Birkeland Currents that traverse the Milky Way. I forget the exact cross streets.

Just knew this was coming.
    Still feels like a Klingon ran me through.

(Been a trekker what seems forever. Rest in God, Mr. Nimoy. You are so missed.
    Parental care is way exhausting. Gained insight into what my parents went through when I was a baby. Not fun, but what ya gonna do? (Read comics, obviously.)

He lived a life most people could only dream of. He did exactly what his most famous character wished to all; live long and prosper.

It is obviously a dark day for those who knew and loved him, and my condolences to them. He was a one of a kind, but we're better for what he gave us. Nothing sad here, but a life worth celebrating.

Even though Nimoy wasn't a big name at the time he did TREK, he brought a sense of class to the project. "Class" is hard to quantify; it certainly doesn't mean that one is of the "upper class," or "lower class," for that matter. In this situation it means, for me, that he brought a sense of enduring craft to his work. I don't intend to p*** on the other actors, but I can't help but feel that most of them were just happy to get the lines right and move on to the next scene-- which is a necessary survival skill for any actor in a TV show. But Nimoy did that and still endowed the character of Spock with gravity and emotional resonance. Granted, he generally got much better lines than Mister Scott and Lt. Sulu, but Nimoy could even do wonders with lines like, "Captain, the monster attacked me."

Since Nimoy didn't approve of the ST Bloopers, I imagine he also wouldn't care for how his scenes in ZOMBIES OF THE STRATOSPHERE were retrofitted for J-MEN FOREVER. Still, it's a really funny moment-- as well as iconic-- when some G-man comes across Nimoy's injured alien and immediately says, "Hey, aren't you Leonard Nimoy?"

Rest in peace, Mr. Nimoy
    I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.
    - George Washington

Retired

Good-bye Paris.

Fare thee well, Mr. Nimoy.

Your legacy lives on, and we all prosper from it.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Live Long And Prosper. RIP.

As a life long fan(approx. 32 years) this is a sad day. I have watched and re-watched the Star Trek films and tv programs more than any others. I even read the comics. Nimoy had a unique talent and without him and Shatner Star Trek would not be what it is today. Recently I introduced my 8 year old son to Star Trek the original series. He loves it. Leonard Nimoy will always be remembered by me and my family.

I've never been a Trek fan, but Leonard Nimoy's fame is beyond just one show.
    To me, he was Galvatron. He was the second biggest villain in the 1986 Transformers movie with one of the best scenes in the film.

All Hail Galvatron!

This life-long Trekkie is very sad today.

Well, I did the only logical thing I could think of tonight to honor his memory. I watched Star Trek II again. My eyes were not dry.
    Life is but a dream

Leonard Nimoy was a fine actor and a huge part of my childhood growing up. His portrayal of Mr. Spock left a huge impression on me as a kid and fan. Up until today even. As a young black boy growing up in the early 90's with negative influences close to the vest and no real life role models I knew personally to look up to, it was people like Nimoy on shows like Star Trek that kept me in a bubble with tunnel vision. Preventing me from falling into a trap I could have very easily fell into. I almost felt like I knew the man through the simple lens of a 1960's television show in syndication. As dozens of people the last 40 plus years can attest to. He was a staple of pop culture and made it cool to be logical, and a nerd. He will be sorely missed by this planet. Live long and prosper.

Favorite scene out of all of Star Trek.