Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    BANNED

That roster definitely seems pretty movie-friendly (with some exceptions)

Astonishing Member Shinglepants's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    I guess they ARE all runaways.... just not THE runaways who coined the title.
    Yeah, I guess so. I think we'll see more and more of that kinda thing from Secret Wars though.

Quote Originally Posted by Time Like Lightning View Post
    Totally agree. IMO, the entire point of the Runaways is that it's not a status/group you can have/belong to forever. It's about a very specific period in a person's life, and for most of the original cast, that time has passed. They've rebelled, they've fled, they've gone on their own, and they figured out how to get by. Runaways isn't a title about young people who've done that-- it's about young people seeing the world for the first time, being horrified by it and doing their best to handle that revelation's fallout.
    To be honest, I haven't even read Runaways. I've seen it described just like you have many a time though.

Quote Originally Posted by Songbird/Diamondback View Post
    This sounds like it should be called Avengers Academy instead of Runaways, as it takes place in a school and most of the kids seem to be more Avengers associated.

Just...I don't know how I feel about this one. Feels like a really odd grab bag of characters, some who aren't teens (Bucky? Really?) and slapping the Runaways name on it.

It's like making a team made out of Hulk, Juggernaut, and other heavy weights and calling it X-Men.
    Sounds to me like they wont be at the school for long. They realise things are pretty f'd up and runaway, hence the name would be quite suitable. Obviously noy 616 Bucky eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Shinglepants View Post
    Sounds to me like they wont be at the school for long. They realise things are pretty f'd up and runaway, hence the name would be quite suitable. Obviously noy 616 Bucky eh?
    It still seems weird. Especially since every alternative Avengers team shown in Secret Wars is very similar to the movie team, but Runaways is drastically different. It just feels weird.

And I think Bucky is there cause everyone loves a woobie after the film.

Fantastic Member

Series Editor Wil Moss just posted this: https://twitter.com/Wil_Moss/status/571398944288190464

So, we'll see Monday. It does look interesting,

Astonishing Member Shinglepants's Avatar

It still seems weird. Especially since every alternative Avengers team shown in Secret Wars is very similar to the movie team, but Runaways is drastically different. It just feels weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Knight of DC View Post
    Series Editor Wil Moss just posted this: https://twitter.com/Wil_Moss/status/571398944288190464

So, we'll see Monday. It does look interesting,
    There you go dude, looks like we'll get one or two.

I get what your saying though. Those Avengers are a marketable commodity though, which is why they are used so much. Runaways, there is more of a free reign.

22. Sagittarius. Time Like Lightning's Avatar

Hmm, wonder which original member/s it'll be. Nico's in A-Force, as others have pointed out, so she's pretty much out of the running. I'd argue that Vic only stands a slim shot of making it, too, since his powerset's a bit too similar to Amadeus'. Xavin and Klara are both less known, and if Valeria is the same age as in 616 then the "youngest one" slot Molly Hayes usually fills is off the table.

So I guess I'd put my money on Karolina, Chase, or Gert and Old Lace.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear.
    The brave may not live forever, but the cautious do not live at all."

He/him/his pronouns.

Quote Originally Posted by Time Like Lightning View Post
    Hmm, wonder which original member/s it'll be. Nico's in A-Force, as others have pointed out, so she's pretty much out of the running. I'd argue that Vic only stands a slim shot of making it, too, since his powerset's a bit too similar to Amadeus'. Xavin and Klara are both less known, and if Valeria is the same age as in 616 then the "youngest one" slot Molly Hayes usually fills is off the table.

So I guess I'd put my money on Karolina, Chase, or Gert and Old Lace.
    I'd like an alternative Gert! After the stunt they pulled in Undercover, Gert's only one who hasn't appeared in any form.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinglepants View Post
    There you go dude, looks like we'll get one or two.

I get what your saying though. Those Avengers are a marketable commodity though, which is why they are used so much. Runaways, there is more of a free reign.
    Okay, I feel kinda better, but man, all this Secret Wars news is just becoming overwhelming. It feels like the stew is turning into a think molasses.

I really don't know what to think of all these new books.
    (Wait til the Runaways film hits. They do have the script ready!)

I hope these are alternate characters. Because if they aren't, they look horrible.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

It's not too hard to figure it out. They highlight the Avengers everyone knows because DUH they're A-listers, while the Runaways don't have that clout. The book was always more of a cult popularity thing.
    You answered your own question.

Also sans A-Force (which is nothing like the movies) and Avengers 2099, I don't know what Avengers team you're talking about. A-Force IS the Avengers book of the crossover.
    Last edited by Holt; 02-27-2015 at 01:34 PM.

trente-et-un/treize responsarbre's Avatar

Noelle Stevenson is a real good writer, and I really like the sinister Gotham Academy/Hogwarts-y deal this seems to have - I always thought Wolverine & the X-Men should have gone that route. Hopefully this is true to the characters and the concept.
    Last edited by responsarbre; 02-27-2015 at 01:31 PM.

Amazing Member

There's been like two Avengers teams shown, and one of them is an all female team. The other is future versions who are different characters, including a female Captain America.

Isn't 2099 the only alternate Avengers Team we've seen so far? Expect for the A-Force which clearly does not match the movie team.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    I hope these are alternate characters. Because if they aren't, they look horrible.
    That's more or less confirmed seeing as they're pulled from all corners of Battleworld.

Conceptually this sounds solid, and nothing like the Runaways. I do think that in order for the Runaways to survive as a property it had to undergo a major overhaul. It never made sense to try to keep those kids static, since that book was all about growth, having the world you know ripped away from you and trying to make sense of it.

This isn't the direction I had in mind, but the cast and creative team is interesting enough to give it a look, although oddly enough I prefer the way Greene's art used to look a few years ago. I feel the same way about Bachalo to be honest.

I have a feeling

Secret Wars: Avengers Arena

is next.