Super Moderator

Default Poll: Which creator-owned title from Matt Fraction or Kelly Sue DeConnick should head to TV next?

Which creator-owned title from Matt Fraction or Kelly Sue DeConnick should head to TV next?

With "Sex Criminals" in development and Matt Fraction and Kelly Sue DeConnick now having a TV development deal, which one of their creator-owned titles would you most like to see turned into a TV series?

Vote on the poll here.

Voted for Pretty Deadly, but Bitch Planet was a close second for me. I just feel at this point that Bitch Planet hasn't been out quite long enough to be adapted, so the adaptation could go horribly wrong (though of course that can happen with fully completed works, as appears to be the case with Fox's Lucifer). Pretty Deadly at least has a complete arc setting up a style, characterization, etc. and I feel like it would be hurt less by a more episodic adaptation—I could see these characters having other stories, not on the page. But, in the end, I'd be absolutely psyched to see either.

I said in the TV/Film mirror post that I'd watch the hell out of a Casanova cartoon. Honestly, though, I feel like so much of their work would be better animated, than live action.

Pretty Deadly would be great animated, but I struggle to imagine a interesting live action version of it.

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Rex Mantooth cartoon for FX!

I can;t vote for any of these because they are all too new and even Sex Criminals shouldn't be a show yet. I love that comic, don't get me wrong, but unless they adapted it as an 11 minute animated Adult Swim show, I can't see it doing the series justice. I'm sick of big creators making new comics almost solely because they want a TV deal. Kirkman's new Outcast is terrible, and is clearly just crap thrown together because he wanted another TV deal but didn't want to make an original show, but another adaption of a comic of his, for double profits on Image's side of things. It's all money making crap that sacrifices quality for brand building.

Fun-Eating Devil The Beast Of Yucca Flats's Avatar

Satellite Sam, done in proper black & white, as an HBO miniseries.

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Beast Of Yucca Flats View Post
    Yeah. Basically, even if I'm not that much of a fan of it, Satellite Sam I feel would be a good TV adaption. Hell, I bet it would be leagues better than the comic if it expanded on certain things and gave some more depth to these characters.

Satellite Sam! Its perfect for TV. People in showbiz seem to love making shows about showbiz, its a natural fit. Just please keep it black & white!

Quote Originally Posted by The Beast Of Yucca Flats View Post
    This.

also, cats the movie

Spectacular Member Jesse_Custer's Avatar

--------------------
    Last edited by Jesse_Custer; 03-04-2015 at 06:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragdoll View Post
    I can;t vote for any of these because they are all too new
    Rex Mantooth, Five Fists of Science, Last of the Independents, and Casanova are hardly what you'd call "new".

I'm sick of big creators making new comics almost solely because they want a TV deal.
    I'm also sick sick sick of people decrying comics creators for optioning tv/movie deals. Most of these sit in development for years and never go anywhere. Did you know that Casanova was already optioned long ago? Nothing ever came of it, but Fraction got paid, I'd assume. He also made no money on that book for years, opting instead to pay Ba' and Moon for their work on the book. What a greedy cash grabbing *******...

I'm always happy to see creators get a pay day from an industry that actually has money. Fraction and DeConnick have two children. I'd rather their kids go to college, than hear about another destitute comic creator starting an indigogo for medical needs, working as a janitor in poverty or straight up dying at their drawing table. But, I guess we all have our priorities.

Kirkman's new Outcast is terrible
    I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    I'm always happy to see creators get a pay day from an industry that actually has money.
    These are all valid points. I think I just get irritated when all these newer comics are getting adaptions when there are so many complete, older series that would make the most epic HBO series of all time. At least Preacher is finally happening. I like Sex Criminals, and good on Fraction for capitalizing on it. But the entire comic run so far is maybe 5 or 6 episodes of material tops. I feel like with so short a head start on the show, the show will quickly catch up to the source material, like Game Of Thrones is coming close to doing.

And those are problems with the studios/networks after material. Kirkman's a hot ticket, and Sex Criminals is doing very well for itself, so it's understandable. However, I agree that it's silly to adapt something that doesn't have much source material behind it, but I can't and won't blame the comics folks for taking a check when it's offered.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    And those are problems with the studios/networks after material. Kirkman's a hot ticket, and Sex Criminals is doing very well for itself, so it's understandable. However, I agree that it's silly to adapt something that doesn't have much source material behind it, but I can't and won't blame the comics folks for taking a check when it's offered.
    Yeah, books are regularly optioned, without anything ever becoming of it. Most of the time, it's just another revenue source for the author, with the remote possibility of a big payday down the line.

The big problem is that, except for the highest profile authors/works, there's usually no creative control after the deal is signed, sometimes with disastrous results (anyone else shuddering at the "LAPD Lucifer" series from FOX?). Here, at least, it looks like Fraction and DeConnick are going to be a bit more involved as producers, so hopefully they'll be able to prevent the sort of travesties that we've seen way too often in comic adaptations.

Well, let's hope, anyway.

A big thing for me, especially with Fraction's work, is it's so clearly a comic. It's built to be a comic, not a tv show or movie. So I don't know how I see a lot of that work translating.