Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Orion would have had fans in an outrage, and rightly so considering how Azz was writing him at the time. He was specifically written as a sexist, disrespectful oaf. It would have been the Batman nonsense all over again in regards to Diana "fixing" someone.

I'll never understand the fascination with some fans wanting Diana used as a tool to fix some messed up man.
    I agree with you!! I never got that whole deal with WW fixing a messed up Guy!! I was and I'm still outraged with the whole Orion relationship, I thought she deserved a whole lot better, I thought it was demeaning and very disrespectful for her a member of trinity, Dc main female heroine, a symbol for strong women everywhere, to be belittle , brow beaten, putting up with a person that treated her that way!! It seem some fans wanted to see a symbol for strong women like WW pining over a guy that treat her like crap!! Dc did the right thing putting her with SM over Orion!! These only thing Azz. wanted to focus on was destroying who she was, turning her dark, and putting her in a demeaning relationship!!!
    Last edited by chlj1; 03-04-2015 at 09:44 AM.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    well that is another mistake on ww mythology. idk why put steve young if they.wont put him together with ww or give a better role. steve reacted well,.i would.be pissed if.my bf left me because i.didnt had superpowers and could get hurt. also if he fired me, after i saved him. he got all right reasons to not move on.
    azzarello was more on orion than steve,.that would be interesting and unexpected. the possibilities that can be created are mind blowing
    The reason of him being in danger cuz he's around WW didn't make sense to me. He's a military dude! His day job puts him in danger regardless of if he's with her or not.

Invincible Member

I kinda kinda think it could be interesting if Diana had a romance with an "artsy" guy just to play against expectations. I couldn't think of DC character that fits off the top of my head though...

BANNED

Orion would have had fans in an outrage, and rightly so considering how Azz was writing him at the time. He was specifically written as a sexist, disrespectful oaf. It would have been the Batman nonsense all over again in regards to Diana "fixing" someone.

I'll never understand the fascination with some fans wanting Diana used as a tool to fix some messed up man.
    More outrage than superman? no way. Orion who? yeah. Like If DC cared about what people think.

well Marston was all about women helping men being better people. I see no problem in that, specially if the "fix" has to be start on the guy will. that's a trope that works very well. I prefer that than superman having to calming down WW

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I kinda kinda think it could be interesting if Diana had a romance with an "artsy" guy just to play against expectations. I couldn't think of DC character that fits off the top of my head though...
    Kyle Rayner? At least she won't die

Invincible Member

More outrage than superman? no way. Orion who? yeah. Like If DC cared about what people think.

well Marston was all about women helping men being better people. I see no problem in that, specially if the "fix" has to be start on the guy will. that's a trope that works very well. I prefer that than superman having to calming down WW

Kyle Rayner? At least she won't die
    I meant like a normal artsy guy or least someone who isn't a conventional superhero

Tons more outrage than Superman. The only reason there's substantial vocal disagreement over Superman and Wonder Woman is because so many fans thinks Superman belongs to Lois Lane. Without that factor, it wouldn't be that big a deal. Not saying everyone who didn't like it would suddenly like it, but that's the majority of the major disapproval. That disapproval aside though it has just as many fans on the other side of the spectrum. But if you put Wonder Woman with a sexist, yes its going to generate a lot of trouble. The internet would have exploded, at the very least. Superman treats Wonder Woman well, no one can deny at least that much. He doesn't act like he has no time for her, he doesn't slap her on the butt, and he doesn't call her disparaging nicknames that she does not appreciate.

With all that said this could have worked if Orion was written more like he was before, but with all the sexist tendencies? I'm willing to go as far as to say that had Azzarello gotten his way on this one, it would have killed his run.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 03-04-2015 at 03:55 PM.

Morgan Tracey, Mike Griggs...was this in the 70's?
    Yep. Morgan Tracy was right after the end of the powerless Di Prince phase, and Mike Tracy was immediately after that, when Diana moved to Houston to join NASA.

BANNED

Tons more outrage than Superman. The only reason there's substantial vocal disagreement over Superman and Wonder Woman is because so many fans thinks Superman belongs to Lois Lane. Without that factor, it wouldn't be that big a deal. Not saying everyone who didn't like it would suddenly like it, but that's the majority of the major disapproval. That disapproval aside though it has just as many fans on the other side of the spectrum. But if you put Wonder Woman with a sexist, yes its going to generate a lot of trouble. The internet would have exploded, at the very least. Superman treats Wonder Woman well, no one can deny at least that much. He doesn't act like he has no time for her, he doesn't slap her on the butt, and he doesn't call her disparaging nicknames that she does not appreciate.

With all that said this could have worked if Orion was written more like he was before, but with all the sexist tendencies? I'm willing to go as far as to say that had Azzarello gotten his way on this one, it would have killed his run.
    No, it's not. Many feminists like noah berlatsky and jill lepore are against it on their own right, and other feminists too. It has nothing to do with Lois. It's completely against the character date someone stronger than her, and much more famous than her. the relationship is problematic and has sexist overtones.

Orion had wrong behavior, but far away from being impossible to redeem. it's interesting seeing a character trying to change, commiting mistakes. The character doesn't has problem with women, but with anyone that step on his way. he treat everybody badly when they are on his way. I trust Azz to do something different and respectiful, he really likes the character. He know what she means and how value it.

The reason of him being in danger cuz he's around WW didn't make sense to me. He's a military dude! His day job puts him in danger regardless of if he's with her or not.
    yeah never understood that too and how easy they got away with that.

Incredible Member

No, it's not. Many feminists like noah berlatsky and jill lepore are against it on their own right, and other feminists too. It has nothing to do with Lois. It's completely against the character date someone stronger than her, and much more famous than her. the relationship is problematic and has sexist overtones.
    The Feminists you listed there would rather the wonder woman comic go back to the way the book was written before and not be written in the DC universe at all (Which is something that might be popular in these boards, not that I put blame on that, the character hasn't had the best of times in the DC universe)
    Which probably means that they really wouldn't like the Batman Wonder Woman Relationship that you adore so much, because as much as Superman supposedly overshadows her in the relationship I imagine a character who is famous for stealing the limelight from characters ever since the dark knight returns would probably end up doing the same(well I say probably, it already did happen in the justice league cartoon) so I find that funny you bring it up with no regard how that might affect your Favourite pairing, as the saying goes people in glass houses.
    And while I'm at it who died and made you the decider on what is sexist and what isn't, because if this relationship is sexist and problematic I imagine more of a uproar would be made about it, especially on official reviews. So don't throw words like "sexist" and "problematic" at the pairing just because you don't like it, because it just cheapens the movement that the words are connected to and just makes it something to be used in a argument against something you don't like and make people who are on the opposite end of the argument look like something their not. Feminism is something bigger than something to be used in petty arguments.

Sometimes I wish Darkseid would go back to scheming to get Wonder Woman to become his bride. At least we know the guy has taste.

No, it's not. Many feminists like noah berlatsky and jill lepore are against it on their own right, and other feminists too.
    That's why I didn't say everyone. I know some laughably claim sexism. Old JLU fans are mad because it isn't Batman. Some WW fans are mad because its not Steve. I know its not everyone, hence why I said the majority. And from my experience, I stand by that.

It's completely against the character date someone stronger than her
    No its not. Never has been. Who Superman dates is not paramount to his characterization unless he suddenly starts eying mass murdering villainesses or something crazy like that. Made up shipper rules shockingly don't count.

In the end your logic just makes no sense. You claim that Superman and Wonder Woman has sexist overtones (a completely ludicrous claim no matter who purports it but regardless, some grab onto this thin straw), then you talk about Orion who was a flat out chauvinist, no overtones needed, about being able to be redeemed. That makes him a suitable partner? You have a problem with Wonder Woman being with Superman, a genuine good guy, because of phantom overtones, but you want her with a proven chauvinist because he can be redeemed? I just don't know what universe I"m living in where Wonder Woman with a guy who loves her and treats her well=sexism, where as chauvinist who slaps her on the ass and calls her name= not at all sexist, but awesome! Because she can fix him!!111
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 03-05-2015 at 03:26 PM.

I could've appreciated WW/Orion just because it's one degree away from WW/Darkseid. So close...

Some just hate the pairing because it is abominable, forced and wrong for both SM and WW.

oops, double post.

Strong words, with absolutely no clarification.