Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post
    Batman is significantly more capable than most of Marvel's vigilantes.
    He's just more capable than anyone, no matter what universe we are talking about. He's F'ing Batman.
    Thor: "I was flying through the cosmos, on my way to Midgard, when something struck me in the face. It was blood."

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyOldHermit View Post
    I definitely think he is. Or at least, of all of DC's pre-1962 characters he is the one who was most easily able to adapt to the higher standard of quality Marvel created. Marvel's concept of a flawed superhero was a poor fit to DC's big names and applied to characters like Superman and Green Lantern it feels hokey. But Batman has a lot of that pathos built in. He's not 100% a Marvel character, as Bruce Wayne is nothing more than a mask for the hero, but of all of DC's leads he would fit in best at Marvel. Likewise, I think Thor would be quite cozy in the DCU, as the idea of a God coming down to Earth is definitely more along the DC line of thinking rather than Marvel's "From ordinary to extraordinary" approach.
    I think Green Arrow would make the transition even better.

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    I don't subscribe to this idea but I have heard this said many times. Even Joss Whedon made this comment a few years back.

Do you feel like there's any truth to it? I think Batman is fine in the DC Universe but I agree with some points. I like when he interacts with the rest of the DC world but the whole Batgod complaint is partly true. He feels out of place in the JLA who I see as a the greatest heroes. Almost like the Greek Olympic Pantheon. Superman and Wonder Woman are iconic, bright, powerful, majestic. Ditto for Green Lantern, Flash, and other members. Batman sticks out like a sore thumb. I do actually feel like Batman would make the perfect Avenger but not when held up to the standard as the rest of the JLA

I think overall, his spot in the DCU is fine. It'd be better if writers could focus on the intangibles he brings to the team instead of making him the league's "number one weapon". Agree or nah?
    Well, Batman would have the same problem in Avengers going into space fighting aliens. It is not about the universe but about what type of stories fits best for the charafter.

Quote Originally Posted by teddyeatsyourface View Post
    No? Marvel doesn't actually have a ton of "human" superheroes like Batman. There's Daredevil, Iron Man, Hawkeye, Black Widow, and the various Captain Americas. The rest of the characters are either mutants, aliens, and Marvel's version of meta-humans. DC has more human superheroes.

So if someone were to use that argument as a reason why Bats should be in Marvel then it would only prove that he belongs with DC.
    Ant-man, Moon Knight, Blade, Iron Fist, Luke Cage, Hulk and the list goes on. Besides mutants are humans as well.

Really appreciate the responses. The point that he almost has his own sub-universe which suits the DCU more is very good.

Quote Originally Posted by Tupiaz View Post
    Well, Batman would have the same problem in Avengers going into space fighting aliens. It is not about the universe but about what type of stories fits best for the charafter.
    Yes but the Avengers aren't as mythic as the Justice League. When I think Justice League, I think "greatest heroes in the world". Avengers has freaking Hawkeye and Wasp. Although, I do agree now that Batman is a fine fit for DC, he just isn't utilized well at times

I think Green Arrow would make the transition even better.

Ant-man, Moon Knight, Blade, Iron Fist, Luke Cage, Hulk and the list goes on. Besides mutants are humans as well.
    But if you look at very large majority of Marvel "human" heroes, they have a pretty useful power-set... they don't do it on training and being determined... it's all a bit more "sensible" than that. People who don't look at Captain America's power set think of him as an acrobatic strong human athlete...but his power set is way beyond that. And likes of Spider-man is very powerful (though patently nowhere near Superman level). Iron Man uses his technology to put him in high power categories...he's genuinely one of Marvel's main tanks, apart from his brain.

There's a few that allegedly just have a strong human talent...Hawkeye and Moon Knight spring to mind...but they are few and far between. (e.g. even Iron Fist has some useful powers to go along with his very extensive training.)

I actually think this is one area where Marvel's world setting is better than DC's.

But going back to original question...my gut feeling is that Batman is nothing like a typical Marvel hero.
    Last edited by JackDaw; 03-01-2015 at 03:41 AM.

Saying that he's a marvel character in the DC universe is acting like Batman is just "another character" in DC and forgetting that Batman is a massive integral part of the DC Universe. Batman makes up an entire section of the DCU. He's a DC character in the DC Universe because he's not shoehorned in or a tag along, he's one of the very building blocks that make it up. If they moved him to Marvel which has already set up it's own Universe, then he'd just be a tag along and not a part that's completely built in to the very foundations of it.
    Favourite DC Characters: Supergirl, Pandora, Red Lantern Bleez, Larfleeze
    BRING BACK PANDORA!

http://i.imgur.com/fq7hazv.png

Hyped for Pokémon Sun and Moon! Nickname your Sun Legend after me!

"There are two main times when comic book fans gripe: When something changes and when something stays the same."
    Cyborg is a Leaguer forever, not a Titan

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I think this question depends on if you still think there's much of a difference between how Marvel and Dc write their characters.
    Which there really hasn't been for a good forty years now.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

I think Gotham is much too cartoony and Dick Tracy-like to be in Marvels NYC centered universe.

Yes but the Avengers aren't as mythic as the Justice League. When I think Justice League, I think "greatest heroes in the world". Avengers has freaking Hawkeye and Wasp. Although, I do agree now that Batman is a fine fit for DC, he just isn't utilized well at times
    I'm not sure if he's underutilized or easily misunderstood.

Which sounds weird.

Really appreciate the responses. The point that he almost has his own sub-universe which suits the DCU more is very good.

The Avengers have been referred to as "Earth's Mightiest Heroes" on multiple occasions. The premise of the 2012 movie was that these people and them alone could fight the threat that no single man could face. The League has also featured Green Arrow and the Atom.

Batman IS DC Comics.

He's probably the most versatile hero in comics. He can be used in virtually any kind of story - street crime, international espionage, global terrorism, supernatural, space operas, superhero teams - and he can fit in. just because he can't bench press as much as Aquaman doesn't mean he doesn't belong in the JLA. He's the ultimate Renaissance Man. He can hang with any martial artists in DC, can use gear to hang with people outside his weight class, can outthink and out plan just about anyone, but at the same time struggle to do it.

If he was in Marvel they'd ruin him, by having him start killing, or become an alcoholic, etc. Marvel wouldn't know what to do with a guy who lives up to his own moral code.

Green Arrow was the sixth member of JLA and a long standing member so I don't see a difference there. Seems like you underestamte wasp power set. She could easily be on JLA if she was a DC character.

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    But if you look at very large majority of Marvel "human" heroes, they have a pretty useful power-set... they don't do it on training and being determined... it's all a bit more "sensible" than that. People who don't look at Captain America's power set think of him as an acrobatic strong human athlete...but his power set is way beyond that. And likes of Spider-man is very powerful (though patently nowhere near Superman level). Iron Man uses his technology to put him in high power categories...he's genuinely one of Marvel's main tanks, apart from his brain.

There's a few that allegedly just have a strong human talent...Hawkeye and Moon Knight spring to mind...but they are few and far between. (e.g. even Iron Fist has some useful powers to go along with his very extensive training.)

I actually think this is one area where Marvel's world setting is better than DC's.

But going back to original question...my gut feeling is that Batman is nothing like a typical Marvel hero.
    In that sense no. But who many does DC has who has done that? I mean sure you have all the different version of Robin but they wouldn't exist without Batman. Green Arrow is the only character created on his own terms and not orbiting around Batman and the creation of GA was heavily influenced by Batman.

I read once that, at one point, there was a plan that for 6 months following the DC vs. Marvel crossover, two characters would temporarily be stuck in the other's universe: She-Hulk in DC, Hawkman in Marvel. Ultimately, it didn't work out, but one can dream.

No, is there a Marvel character that contrasts with Superman the way Batman does?

Batman and Superman's relationship is probably the best you'll see in comics between any 2 Superheroes (and I'm not talking some Cloak and Dagger crap), it's like they feed off of each other perfectly.

You won't get a character like that in Marvel.

In that sense no. But who many does DC has who has done that? I mean sure you have all the different version of Robin but they wouldn't exist without Batman. Green Arrow is the only character created on his own terms and not orbiting around Batman and the creation of GA was heavily influenced by Batman.
    Agreed that's it's primarily driven by Batman related characters. But jeez, there's a lot of them. It's not just the Robins, it's the Batgirls, Azrael, Batwomen, Oracle, Huntress, etc, etc.

And let's face it, in context of overall DC universe and today's story telling style it doesn't make great sense...I wouldn't give any of them a dog's chance against a skilled gunman, let alone a villain with a decent set of powers.

I have to give the writers some credit, some of them turn out decent stories in spite of the dogs breakfast story telling universe.