Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Hulk vs Mordo

I think that just made my day.

Also, Sharp... that link. How in the seventy billion hells did I miss one of Penderan's masterworks?
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post

Also, Sharp... that link. How in the seventy billion hells did I miss one of Penderan's masterworks?
    It really deserved quoting, that one.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

It was two days ago. You might have been steamshipped or something.

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    It was two days ago. You might have been steamshipped or something.
    Two ...

Hum.

Yeah. Probably. Had a rodent problem. Think he called himself "Steamboat Willy".. But you know ... Had.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Angry Hulk, when confronted by seemingly unthreatening things like children, puppy dogs, and old men, tends to stand there and scream at them a bit before doing anything. Sometimes he even listens to them so he can yell back how miffed he is.

Saruman wouldn't need to just pop up in front of him, after all. So I can totally see it running like this (remember, Magic Voice of Persuasion here):

*Hulk rampaging*

[Saruman] *shouting from a distance when the noise level dies down for a second* Hulk! Hulk, over here!

[Hulk] RAAAARGHWHYYOUKNOWHULK'SNAME!?

[Saruman] You've been shouting it...lots. Please, Hulk. I just want to speak to you!

[Hulk] ARGLEBARGLE! *leaps over and lands in front of Saruman* RAAAARGHYOUWANTOHURTHULK?!

[Saruman] *obviously wetting his pants and being at his most placating, which is saying a lot* No, Hulk, please...I'm just an old man who wants to talk.

[Hulk] RAAAA...WHY SHOULD HULK LISTEN? EVERYONE HATE HULK! BIG EYE NEED TO BE BLACKENED! HULK ANGRY!

[Saruman] Hulk...I want to help you. I don't hate you. I understand how this makes you angry.

[Hulk] YES! HULK ANGRY...HULK...WHY THEY NO LEAVE HULK ALONE?!

[Saruman] I can help with that. Follow me, Hulk. Over here. Just over here. See? Nobody.

[Hulk] PUNY OLD MAN NOT TRY TO TRICK HULK?

[Saruman] *shocked* No, never! I am an old man, a victim of those creatures that attacked you. Those ugly...weak...creatures that attacked you. I want to help you, Hulk.

[Hulk] HULK...Hulk listen. Any tricks, Hulk smash.

[Saruman] *looks out over the ruins around them* Yes. I imagine you would. No tricks, Hulk. *smiles* I promise.
    The only problem there is that as soon as Hulk sees him slaughter a tree full of birds, he's going to go all:

Hulk: "OLDMANNOTNICE...OLDMANDOUCHE! HULKSMASHOLDDOUCHE!"

Saruman: "Homina-homina-homina"

Ah, Saruman's pretty clever when he has his wits about him and not waxing megalomaniacal (and he has serious reasons here, what with what Hulk has already demonstrated). And Hulk isn't exactly Mr. Perception. ^_^

I'm pretty confident that if it came down to it (how did Saruman show up in this scenario, anyway?) that Saruman would manage to talk him down.
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Ah, Saruman's pretty clever when he has his wits about him and not waxing megalomaniacal (and he has serious reasons here, what with what Hulk has already demonstrated). And Hulk isn't exactly Mr. Perception. ^_^

I'm pretty confident that if it came down to it (how did Saruman show up in this scenario, anyway?) that Saruman would manage to talk him down.
    Oh, yeah, my post was pretty much a joke, and definitely directed at Movie Saruman as opposed to book Saruman.

As far as your point: book Saruman, definitely. Movie Saruman? Not so much. He doesn't have the Voice (wizards and Bene Gesserit are different in Jackson's world, evidently :-) ).

If we're not talking movies. Saurman had a ridiculously powerful magical voice that allowed him to persuade nearly anyone of anything. It wasn't direct mind control, it was just...magic voice that manipulated everyone.

Gandalf was pretty much the only person capable of shrugging it off.

I figure that if it 'convinces' Aragorn, Legolas, Gimli, and other people who flat out KNOW Saruman is one messed up dude, then it's going to run wild over a simpleminded fellow like the Hulk who isn't familiar with Saruman.
    Just to note, there seems to have been an interview with Christopher Lee from decades ago when he was asked who he would like to play, if he ever got the chance, out of all fictional characters from books that were already famous and he said Gandalf because, based on the description in the book, he was perfect for the role.

If memory serves correctly, in the books, Saruman looks like and projects himself as a kindly grandfather sort of person that you would instinctively trust while Gandalf has the disadvantages that his appearance and personality can be a bit off-putting, not the sort you just instantly trust.

In other words, sticking to the books, Ian McKellan would have been a great Saruman and Christopher Lee would have been perfect for Gandalf.

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    Oh, yeah, my post was pretty much a joke, and definitely directed at Movie Saruman as opposed to book Saruman.

As far as your point: book Saruman, definitely. Movie Saruman? Not so much. He doesn't have the Voice (wizards and Bene Gesserit are different in Jackson's world, evidently :-) ).
    Apparently he likes them to be Wushu maniacs rather than subtle. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    Just to note, there seems to have been an interview with Christopher Lee from decades ago when he was asked who he would like to play, if he ever got the chance, out of all fictional characters from books that were already famous and he said Gandalf because, based on the description in the book, he was perfect for the role.

If memory serves correctly, in the books, Saruman looks like and projects himself as a kindly grandfather sort of person that you would instinctively trust while Gandalf has the disadvantages that his appearance and personality can be a bit off-putting, not the sort you just instantly trust.

In other words, sticking to the books, Ian McKellan would have been a great Saruman and Christopher Lee would have been perfect for Gandalf.
    Actually, yeah, that works out quite nicely. He'd make a spectacular Gandalf.
    Why are we here?

Apparently he likes them to be Wushu maniacs rather than subtle.

Actually, yeah, that works out quite nicely. He'd make a spectacular Gandalf.
    I guess the type-casting sort of bugs me.

You, Ian, look sort of like a kindly grandfather type so you will be cast as the good guy because, hey, good looks = good guy in spite of description in book makes clear Gandalf not that great looking and his looks cause some mistrust which was sort of a point with Tolkien I think. He emphasized it more with Aragorn, "All that is gold does not glitter..." But still.

Meanwhile, we'll cast you, Christopher, as Saruman although book makes clear Saruman looks like a kindly type but hey, Intimidating looks = bad guy because the Manual of Typecasting (tm) says so.

Hmm, I don't know- Lee has never come off as the trusting grandfather type to me. I've always thought he looked way too serious and had more the I-have-my-own-agenda-and-will-take-down-any-who-stand-in-my-way look, even when he was in Charlie and the CF. The character appearances and personalities matched the book descriptions IMO.

...of course, I also think their appearances were burned into my subconscience after seeing the Bakshi version for the first time when i was like 4. It seemed to me Bakshi's charcters were a sort of template for the ones in Jackson's version.
    Last edited by WarrenPeace; 03-06-2015 at 08:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenPeace View Post
    Hmm, I don't know- Lee has never come off as the trusting grandfather type to me. I've always thought he looked way too serious and had more the I-have-my-own-agenda-and-will-take-down-any-who-stand-in-my-way look, even when he was in Charlie and the CF. The character appearances and personalities matched the book descriptions IMO.

...of course, I also think their appearances were burned into my subconscience after seeing the Bakshi version for the first time when i was like 4. It seemed to me Bakshi's charcters were a sort of template for the ones in Jackson's version.
    Um, that was the point, that Lee does not come across as the kindly grandfather type and, in the books, neither does Gandalf. His book description fits Lee far more than it fits Ian McKellan. In fact, Ian McKellan far better fits the book description of Saruman as a kindly grandfather type.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post

Are you saying you don't instinctively trust Christopher Lee?

Quote Originally Posted by moonknight11 View Post
    Are you saying you don't instinctively trust Christopher Lee?
    Have you heard his heavy metal albums?

He's totally a super villain.

Arx Inosaan

Have you heard his heavy metal albums?

He's totally a super villain.

He made a Christmas album. He's basically a more metal Santa.