Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Hulk vs Mordo

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    Um, that was the point, that Lee does not come across as the kindly grandfather type and, in the books, neither does Gandalf. His book description fits Lee far more than it fits Ian McKellan. In fact, Ian McKellan far better fits the book description of Saruman as a kindly grandfather type.
    Well I was basically looking at physical appearance and not whichever comes off as a grandfather type. Tolkien describes Saruman physically with a long face, high forehead, deep darkling eyes, long white hair and beard with strands of black in the beard and a low melodious voice. Sound nothing like McKellan to me. And IN MY OPINION I think each actor was perfect for their roles.

Quote Originally Posted by moonknight11 View Post
    He made a Christmas album. He's basically a more metal Santa.
    Implying that he isn't Santa.

Who is, totally a super villain. I mean this guy gives coal to Apokalips, and Darksied just stands there and takes it. Santa drinks. his. milkshake.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Hmm,ye hulk wins,unless they can somehow calm him down and turn him to their side.But guessing banner proly wont like that haha.They might fool the hulk but banner fat chance.

Btw,u got the title wrong,it writes mordo,not mordor.Was wondering,is it hulk vs some char named mordo?
    Last edited by buutenks; 03-06-2015 at 01:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Angry Hulk, when confronted by seemingly unthreatening things like children, puppy dogs, and old men, tends to stand there and scream at them a bit before doing anything. Sometimes he even listens to them so he can yell back how miffed he is.

Saruman wouldn't need to just pop up in front of him, after all. So I can totally see it running like this (remember, Magic Voice of Persuasion here):

*Hulk rampaging*

[Saruman] *shouting from a distance when the noise level dies down for a second* Hulk! Hulk, over here!

[Hulk] RAAAARGHWHYYOUKNOWHULK'SNAME!?

[Saruman] You've been shouting it...lots. Please, Hulk. I just want to speak to you!

[Hulk] ARGLEBARGLE! *leaps over and lands in front of Saruman* RAAAARGHYOUWANTOHURTHULK?!

[Saruman] *obviously wetting his pants and being at his most placating, which is saying a lot* No, Hulk, please...I'm just an old man who wants to talk.

[Hulk] RAAAA...WHY SHOULD HULK LISTEN? EVERYONE HATE HULK! BIG EYE NEED TO BE BLACKENED! HULK ANGRY!

[Saruman] Hulk...I want to help you. I don't hate you. I understand how this makes you angry.

[Hulk] YES! HULK ANGRY...HULK...WHY THEY NO LEAVE HULK ALONE?!

[Saruman] I can help with that. Follow me, Hulk. Over here. Just over here. See? Nobody.

[Hulk] PUNY OLD MAN NOT TRY TO TRICK HULK?

[Saruman] *shocked* No, never! I am an old man, a victim of those creatures that attacked you. Those ugly...weak...creatures that attacked you. I want to help you, Hulk.

[Hulk] HULK...Hulk listen. Any tricks, Hulk smash.

[Saruman] *looks out over the ruins around them* Yes. I imagine you would. No tricks, Hulk. *smiles* I promise.
    You know if you use the current version of Hulk is Doc Green whose actually quite intelligent, so I don't think that would work. Honestly

Also for the Telepathic resistance Hulk does have quite a bit, overcoming and resistant guys like Xemu, (Who is also a powerful enough psychic to take over towns worth of people) Professor X, a specialized psychic assassin (a very good issue out of Aaron's otherwise forgettable run pity it came.) Hickman's been ignoring it, but Hickman's been ignoring a lot of things.

Yeah you can go back to issues before they decided that Hulk was resistant to mental attacks, just like you can go back to issues before he had a healing factor, or go back to issues before he got stronger as he got madder. It doesn't mean the current incarnation doesn't have that, anymore than saying Superman couldn't fly because he couldn't in Action Comics #1.

Please read through the thread,the thing with Hulk and Xavier has already been discussed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ptrvc View Post
    You know if you use the current version of Hulk is Doc Green whose actually quite intelligent, so I don't think that would work. Honestly

Also for the Telepathic resistance Hulk does have quite a bit, overcoming and resistant guys like Xemu, (Who is also a powerful enough psychic to take over towns worth of people) Professor X, a specialized psychic assassin (a very good issue out of Aaron's otherwise forgettable run pity it came.) Hickman's been ignoring it, but Hickman's been ignoring a lot of things.

Yeah you can go back to issues before they decided that Hulk was resistant to mental attacks, just like you can go back to issues before he had a healing factor, or go back to issues before he got stronger as he got madder. It doesn't mean the current incarnation doesn't have that, anymore than saying Superman couldn't fly because he couldn't in Action Comics #1.
    Except that he's been mind controlled under other writers down to the modern era as far as "oh, it's only Hickman", and he's done nothing to suggest bouncing Xavier is a valid showing. Unless you feel two guys markedly beneath Charles justify that showing. You seem to come off like you're trying to argue the Hulk has never been successfully mind controlled past a certain year.

It doesn't mean the current incarnation doesn't have
    Mercy effed up the Hulk's head fine and had to withdraw her influence because the Hulk himself couldn't ultimately break it, this happened when he had a healing factor, and gets stronger as he gets madder. The analogy you are trying to draw is inapplicable.

overcoming and resistant guys like Xemu, (Who is also a powerful enough psychic to take over towns worth of people)
    First occasion was literally chalked up to the Hulk's stupidity, not some resistance, which just makes Xemnu look bad. Second occasion, he would have never had the chance to get even madder to ignore it had Doctor Strange not mentally freed him from Xemnu. And he was angry when the whammy got put on him in the first place.

It's an odd thing that you seem to think the Hulk having some measure of mental resistance has to mean it's either absolute to the point of planetary scale telepaths or can't possibly exist. Or one imagines as a reply to that, that it should have to take a planetary scale telepath to do him up or it's otherwise like saying anyone could. When the Hulk gets mind controlled, maybe it just means that resistance is not immunity.
    Last edited by Pendaran; 03-07-2015 at 03:08 PM.

edit: nah.

Should be noted one of the guys you're going back and forth with is a blatant Hulk favorer, so *shrug* may not be worth the effort.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

So Hulk has a bunch of high-end feats for telepathy resistance, and a bunch of poor showings regarding the same. In other words he's all over the place, like any character who's been around for decades. If this board used an average of feats it'd be one thing but it uses consistent high-end feats, and he clearly has enough for his TP resistance to be consistent.

Quote Originally Posted by MidTierHero View Post
    So Hulk has a bunch of high-end feats for telepathy resistance, and a bunch of poor showings regarding the same. In other words he's all over the place, like any character who's been around for decades. If this board used an average of feats it'd be one thing but it uses consistent high-end feats, and he clearly has enough for his TP resistance to be consistent.
    Can you name any feats for the Hulk's telepathic resistance that support the Xavier showing? This isn't a rhetorical question. This thread is 16 pages now of a fellow and occasionally you being asked for such things and providing nothing, over and over. Or alternatively, nothing equivalent, things well out of context, things that are not what scanned comics show..

Because more accurately thus, the Hulk has some feats involving some resistance of varying capacity, one involving a telepath that completely blows past all of them, one involving a telepath who the Hulk could only get sufficiently angry to resist when freed by someone else..

A bunch of these performances don't come off as "high end", they come off as, the Hulk resisted some telepathy/mental effects. Particularly, that the Hulk resisted some telepathy/attacks/control effects from some beings well beneath what the text provided for Sauron as far as the showings of said other beings. Unless, as far as something beyond it, you claim the Xavier thing is legitimate (despite nothing backing such). That doesn't make the guy telepathy proof, nor otherwise immune to mind control.

and he clearly has enough for his TP resistance to be consistent.
    Not to the level you're claiming. Out of context, nowhere similar scale feats do not provide a consistency for a performance well past them.

but it uses consistent high-end feats
    Not in the way you're claiming.

and a bunch of poor showings regarding the same.
    There has yet to be an explanation of why these are poor showings that isn't "because it worked on the Hulk". I'll break some down as far as some mind control effects and the Hulk. Let's start from the very top. Doom took over the planet with that neurogas. Why would the Hulk be an exemption to an effect of that scale? Doom amped up the Purple Man and again enslaved the planet. Why would the Hulk be exempt to something on that scale?
    Last edited by Pendaran; 03-07-2015 at 10:00 PM.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ptrvc View Post
    You know if you use the current version of Hulk is Doc Green whose actually quite intelligent, so I don't think that would work. Honestly.
    Book Saruman's schtick is that he persuades people who are rather intelligent without any concern.

It's magic voice persuasion, not just simple manipulation. :)
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Yeah Sauron and Saruman with Voice could out do the Hulk.

Their too crafty.

He in a physical contest would be the strongest living thing in raw strength though.

From all the evidence presented on this thread, it appears the Xavier incident is an outlier. It shouldn't be used to justify that Hulk would be able to no-sell any and all attempts at mental manipulation.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Watcher View Post
    From all the evidence presented on this thread, it appears the Xavier incident is an outlier. It shouldn't be used to justify that Hulk would be able to no-sell any and all attempts at mental manipulation.
    Couldn't have just given that decision when I asked for the mod ruling eh? Had to be a hardass. Jerk.

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KPhilipsen View Post
    Couldn't have just given that decision when I asked for the mod ruling eh? Had to be a hardass. Jerk.
    dont know if sarcastic or not.