Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Default As in A-bomb, as in nuclear fission, as in the end of the world: Captain Atom Appreciation

DC Forum Appreciation Thread rules:

1) No negative comments about the honoree of this thread. It's an appreciation thread, not a non-appreciation one.

2) No negative discussion about any competitors of the honoree of this thread (i.e. John Stewart in the Hal Jordan thread). No ifs, ands, or buts. Find another non-appreciation thread to do that, just not here.

3) No negative comments about other versions of the character. For example, if you like the DCU version of Cyborg, but hate the DCnU version (or visa versa), just appreciate the earlier version and keep your comments about the latter to yourself.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don't think this has been recreated yet since the board change happened. So, I hereby bring back the Captain Atom Appreciation Thread. Lets all talk about the quantum superhero! From his humble beginnings at Charlton to his adventures at DC. Arguably one of the most powerful superheroes on Earth.

The DC version gaining the metallic skin and being a member of the JLI:

The New 52 re-invented the character again where he gained a more Dr. Manhattan look as well as powers which is funny since Dr. Manhattan was simply a different take of Captain Atom made for Watchmen:

I hope DC has some plans for him since he has been missing in action since his last encounter with Firestorm. He really needs to join a Justice League team... like a new JLI.

Yes, I want Captain Atom back!

I loved his new 52 series, but I didn't really care for his look. His best look is the look from the second picture, IMHO.

I have to admit, however, that he will need a great writer to make him work, due to his unbelievably awesome powers, or maybe tone those powers down a little.

But seriously, his looks, along with the great name of Captain Atom, makes him worth being part of the DCU.
    WHO DAT?!!

didn't thought there was a captain atom thread.

here's captain atom putting majestic in his place

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

I quite enjoyed the latest series, probably my favourite Captain Atom version, but I can see why it didn't appeal to a wider audience.

He is a very strong character and deserves a place in the DCU. Why he wasn't on the latest Justice League of America book is beyond me.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

a question.... is the nu52 captain atom more powerful than pre-nu52/pre monarch captain atom.

didn't get the chance to read much of nu52 cap, but he felt a little more dr manhattan than usual.

The Cary Bates-written series was a lot of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by The Odd Man View Post
    The Cary Bates-written series was a lot of fun.
    My favorite of all. Really wish they'd gone along with something akin to that interpretation.

Peace

BANNED

He appeared in the end of JL United: FE. He shows up again in the Justice League tie in next week. Should be interesting.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    He is a very strong character and deserves a place in the DCU. Why he wasn't on the latest Justice League of America book is beyond me.
    Because they made him ridiculously overpowered in that mess of a reboot and basically made him untouchable for most writers. Everyone saw it was just a sad attempt to write Doctor Manhatten into the main DCU even though that was never going to work in a million years. The only way he could really be used now is if the depowered him back to his former levels. Otherwise just stick him in Stormwatch with the rest of the characters who's powers make them unwrittable in a shared comic universe

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Grim View Post
    He appeared in the end of JL United: FE. He shows up again in the Justice League tie in next week. Should be interesting.
    this, for some reason, worries me.

I think on a individual story level, the New 52 Captain Atom comic was interesting. But it made him very unwieldy for the DC universe. He was quite frankly too powerful, more akin to Dr. Manhattan funnily and then they did that depowering thing in Fury of Firestorm.... its good that he's made an appearance in Future's End but I feel he should have been a more entrenched hero in the New 52 instead of being near forgotten. If DC had a Superman trinity, I would say it was Superman, Captain Marvel/Shazam and Captain Atom who should stand tall there. I can only hope that DC takes more interest in using him with his recent appearance in Justice League United.

I feel that superman level heroes are often used as main antagonists in event stories. Superman in Injustice, Hal Jordan as Parallax..

and Captain Atom definitely falls in that category as Monarch.

Shazam was just a pawn in Kingdom Come, but a game changing pawn he was. Wonder Woman tends to be the 2nd in command villain to Superman's.

I guess that shows how powerful Captain Atom is and how essential he is in dealing with Darkseid level threats. Making him too powerful though would limit his actual use by writers. I like how he was handled in his own series (Cary Bates) and in Justice League Europe.