Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

The preview for Justice League Futures End is up at CBR.

What are the chances of seeing the pre IC Captain Atom again? Wishful thinking on my part I guess.

Maybe he can visit JL3000 along eith Ted and Booster.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Nix Uotan View Post
    I think on a individual story level, the New 52 Captain Atom comic was interesting. But it made him very unwieldy for the DC universe. He was quite frankly too powerful, more akin to Dr. Manhattan funnily and then they did that depowering thing in Fury of Firestorm.... its good that he's made an appearance in Future's End but I feel he should have been a more entrenched hero in the New 52 instead of being near forgotten. If DC had a Superman trinity, I would say it was Superman, Captain Marvel/Shazam and Captain Atom who should stand tall there. I can only hope that DC takes more interest in using him with his recent appearance in Justice League United.
    I couldn't agree more.

captain atom. the villain. again.

why is the good ol' captain so enticing to portray as the bad guy?

too overpowered? no deep motivation to do good? not that interesting back story?

aren't there any actual villains that dc could use as villains? but then again, i probably should be grateful that captain atom is actually being used rather than stuck in comic book limbo.

Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post
    why is the good ol' captain so enticing to portray as the bad guy?

too overpowered? no deep motivation to do good? not that interesting back story?

aren't there any actual villains that dc could use as villains? but then again, i probably should be grateful that captain atom is actually being used rather than stuck in comic book limbo.
    I think DC just doesn't know what to do with him. Which is a shame. As you said though, on the one hand at least he is getting used though I feel like he deserves so much more than this.... From that preview, have they decided to ignore Jurgens depowering New 52 Captain Atom as shown in Fury of Firestorm?

Personally, I feel they should put Captain Atom in charge of a team. Either Justice League International or Stormwatch. Been reading the one where he went to Wildstorm and Nathaniel Adams was awesome there. And that was by the writer who is doing Teen Titans now.... please DC let him write Captain Atom again and save him from comic book obscurity.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nix Uotan View Post
    I think DC just doesn't know what to do with him. Which is a shame. As you said though, on the one hand at least he is getting used though I feel like he deserves so much more than this.... From that preview, have they decided to ignore Jurgens depowering New 52 Captain Atom as shown in Fury of Firestorm?
    Well, this is 5 years later. He's obviously going to recover his powers at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by NeonZ View Post
    Well, this is 5 years later. He's obviously going to recover his powers at some point.
    I suppose though it seemed that when they did it that DC wanted to perhaps make the character as he was pre-reboot.

Anyway, what did people think of the story that continued in Justice League? Not Captain Atom at his finest sadly and he seems to be even more Dr. Manhattan-ish. At least, he's still alive but I am kind of desperately hoping someone comes and salvages him.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

God I hated what they did to Cap in those Justice League Futures End one shots. They were not even trying to pretend they were not just writing Doctor Manhattan this time. I am really hoping some writer will come along soon and undue all the damage that Krul and others have done to this character just so they could write their Doctor Manhattan fanfic.

I think people have shown THEY DO NOT LIKE THIS TAKE on the character, but DC is just being hardheaded in trying to make it happen.

How exactly have people shown that they don't like this take on the character? Its not like Captain Atom was household name at any point.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Well the series crashed and burned and whenever the character does show up now all you ever hear is how much people don't like this take. You never hear things like "man Cap was great in that story" or "man I love this version of Cap". It is always "oh look more Doc Manhattan lite again". To me that says this take is not liked except by a very tiny little minority.

FE one-shot thread had multiple people saying that they liked his new52 series.

BANNED

Loved the good captain when he was in charge of justice league europe.